The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Type two diabetec for sixteen years. I have been taking 4X500mg of Metformin daily,which has kept my sugar under control. Over the past year I started to have major stomach pain. I went for all the testes and they could not fined anything wrong. I went on a hiking vacation and cut back my Metformin to 2X a day.
My stomach pain decreased substantially. I informed my doctor of this and he change my medication to Cliclazide 2X30 mg and 2X 500mg of metformin daily. My morning sugars were to high and he switched me to a drug called Januvia after a month of taking this I doubled over with stomach pain. Currently I went back to 2 metformin daily,but i am stuggling to keep my sugar under control.
I see my Doctor next week and he wants me try a new drug that is injected that is not insulin it starts with a V.

Can anyone help by suggesting a medication that does not give you stomach pain?

Thank you
DPG

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
is the Met a slow release form some people have much less stomach problems with that drug, its Metformin XL or XR

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sometimes I find that when my Pharmacy changes generic brands of metformin, I get different amounts of coverage with it. Januvia works for some but for others it does increases inflammation. The injectible drug is a new one called Victoza. Many have excellent bgs with it at the lower doses. As they increase their dose they sometimes get side effects. I think it is a Once a Day injection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is the Met a slow release form some people have much less stomach problems with that drug, its Metformin XL or XR
Thank you for your reply.
I am taking Metformin XL. I asked my doctor about the XR and he informed me that it would not make a difference. He told me to cut my 500mg in half and take them that way. The medication he would like to place me on is Victoza. Is anyone on this drug and how are they reacting to it?

Thank you
DPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts