The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Allan and I was just recently diagnose with type 1 in May of this year. It's been a struggle for me but I think that I'm coming to terms of it. It still gets to me specially when I start to feel some kind of complications that I've never experienced prior to diagnosis. It's irritating considering now that I have control of my glucose, why do I feel all these pains in my body. My A1c was 12. I'm due to my two months checkup on August 1st. I am hoping that I have made a big improvement. Based on my sugar levels, I have not exceeded the normal range. I am trying to be more proactive regarding this disease. I have joined several forums hoping to learn more information about diabetes. I have found some that help me cope. I figured that the more I reach out, the better off I'd be. Truly being diabetic is a lifelong struggle. So many things I have to adjust. Before, I could eat anything w/o limitations. Now, everything is limited. I'm not so sure as far as how to handle this. I am taking 3 units of humalog before breakfast and lunch and 4 units before dinner...down from 6 units two months ago. Then I take 10 units of Lantus before bedtime, down from 15 units. I am hoping to get to know more people who have the same illness and perhaps I could be a sponge from everyone by learning their experiences and how they cope.

Every info counts as it's an added knowledge to me. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Allan . . . coping with diabetes of any kind is a tremendous adjustment for anyone who wants to avoid complications in the future. You're in the right place to learn the coping mechanisms - many of our members are type 1, and many others are insulin-dependent types 1.5 or 2. All of us have gone through the struggles you're going through and have lived to tell about it.

Make yourself at home here & ask anything you need to know. I hope you'll be able to visit often.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welocme

Hello everyone, my name is Allan and I was just recently diagnose with type 1 in May of this year. It's been a struggle for me but I think that I'm coming to terms of it. It still gets to me specially when I start to feel some kind of complications that I've never experienced prior to diagnosis. It's irritating considering now that I have control of my glucose, why do I feel all these pains in my body. My A1c was 12. I'm due to my two months checkup on August 1st. I am hoping that I have made a big improvement. Based on my sugar levels, I have not exceeded the normal range. I am trying to be more proactive regarding this disease. I have joined several forums hoping to learn more information about diabetes. I have found some that help me cope. I figured that the more I reach out, the better off I'd be. Truly being diabetic is a lifelong struggle. So many things I have to adjust. Before, I could eat anything w/o limitations. Now, everything is limited. I'm not so sure as far as how to handle this. I am taking 3 units of humalog before breakfast and lunch and 4 units before dinner...down from 6 units two months ago. Then I take 10 units of Lantus before bedtime, down from 15 units. I am hoping to get to know more people who have the same illness and perhaps I could be a sponge from everyone by learning their experiences and how they cope.

Every info counts as it's an added knowledge to me. Thanks everyone.
Hi Allan and welcome. It's good to have you here and I'm sure you've come to the right place. You'll find lots of good information in the forums and be able to make some pretty good friends at the same time:D.

Gene

·
Registered
633 Posts
Are you carb counting and matching your insulin to your carb load. Until you are able to do this you will not have optimal control. Some of the pains could just be your recovering and getting back to normal.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Allan, it seems to me that we may have had contact on another diabetes site, but I may be wrong.

I have been type 1 for 65 years, and am very healthy. It seems you are doing very well, despite being diagnosed so recently. It is obvious that you are taking your diabetes seriously, so your control should be very good. You will be very likely to have a long, healthy life. Ask all the questions you want.

Richard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello. Robert here I have been type I for 32 years. I have extensive heart issues, depression, and chronic pain. I am 42 yrs old. I take 90mg of morphine daily for pain. I have a 9 yr old daughter with type I for 2.5yrs. I wish u the best. Ask away. Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts