The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just new to the website and new to trying to control my prediabetes. I guess I have had it for several years now, but just recently have been noticing the effects. Over the past few years I have had fasting readings from 18 back in 2008 to 167 in February of this year, and sometimes as low at 104. I have always told my doctor that I didn't want to go on medication and try to lose weight, exercise and eat better. In 2008 my Glycated count was 5.8, February of this year it was 6.2. In August it was 6.6 and my fasting was 125. This month my fasting was 161 and my GH was 6.1. All over the board?

Since the end of August I have been taking this program very seriously, I am down from 215 to 199. Earlier this month I was having afternoon crashes, I went to my doctor who I have him my daily records that my fasting average was down to 110-115 and I was experiencing these effects, he told me that my sugars are getting to be in the normal range, that it is my body adjusting to the weight loss and the new insulin levels, that I should be okay that it could take a week, or two for my body to adjust. The past two mornings my fasting has been 98. Before lunch around 138 yesterday and two hours after dinner 123. Today in the morning it was 98 again, and 117 two hours after lunch and then down to 103 around 5pm today. I think these numbers are supposed to be good, but here is the problem. When it gets down to between 120 and 100 in the afternoon, I start feeling jittery, anxious, maybe a little sweating and need to eat something to bring it back up a little, dried blueberries, chocolate, orange juice etc.... My caloric intake yesterday was 1,555 with 84 carbs and today 1,326 with 121 carbs. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Jeff

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
It takes your body to learn to accept your new diet. I'd say drop the carbs you eat and add more fat. I'm guessing you need to gradually lower them to less than 60 a day to really see a change in your FBG and others. We'll see if more experienced folks come by to add to this answer you.

Congratulation on the weight loss and becoming more aware of your health. Good luck,

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi, Jeff. I was also diagnosed pre-diabetic, but don't let the 'pre' part fool you. If we don't get and keep good control of our bg, we will very soon be classified as full-fledged diabetics. And even though I have kept mine in good control, I know I'll have to eat low carb the rest of my life.

If you test your bg randomly throughout the day, that usually doesn't tell you much. Testing your fasting bg is fine, but you should also test 1 hour after eating to see how high that meal took your bg. You can test an hour after that if you want, to make sure your bg is falling as it should. I keep my fasting bg low by eating a low-carb snack before bed, and as soon as I get up I eat an almost-no-carb breakfast. That causes my morning bg to immediately start dropping.

I see you don't want to go on medicine, I'm not on meds either. But if you want to stay off of meds, you will have to eat a lot less than 84 to 121 carbs per day. If you go to Blood Sugar 101 you will find a lot of information there that will help you out. The eating plan most of us use which will bring bg down, is very healthy for diabetics, and can help with weight loss, if you have more to lose, is summed up in a nutshell at LCHF for beginners | Dietdoctor.com

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You aren't doing anything wrong. Your body is used to much higher bgs as normal. As you lower your bgs to what is really normal your body will feel sick for awhile. This happens to all of us. As you have more normal bgs your body will readjust to it. People on the Atkins diet call this the Atkins flu. What I usually do to get through these "shakey" periods is to always carry some sort of low carb snack to munch on. Almonds or any nuts work great or low carb Atkins Bars, cheese sticks or deviled eggs. Sometimes all you need is a few bites to assure your endocrine system you are not starving.

Reactions: jeffstaner

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Your numbers are better than some of mine, Jeff, and your doctor is right - you are not sick, you'll be fine. Your body is accustomed to running high, and it's complaining about normal levels of blood glucose. Give it a few days or a week and your jitters will subside.

What you're doing wrong is counting calories instead of carbs. There is no need for counting calories with diabetes. Do as Pat, Spunky & jwags suggest: start counting carbs, add more fat to your way-of-eating, and your blood sugar will stay healthy and your weight will continue to drop. Test your blood at specific intervals that Spunky has advised. Random tests get you nothing but random numbers. Strips are expensive and your tests need to give you information you can then act on.

You've made good progress and it seems you have a smart doc. More power to you, and keep us posted on how it's going!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your advice, I am glad I found this site as the reassurance certainly helps and eases the mind.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi Jeff & welcome, you are doing really well.
It took me about 4 weeks for my body to start to feel good about LCHF, it is really trial & error at first but as the others have said test 1 hour after each meal to see how high you spiked with what you ate then again 1 hour later to ensure you have come back to a level you are comfortable with, I kept a record of my meals & numbers so I could see at a glance what was affecting me.
I keep my carbs to under 30 per day but I have had to greatly increase my good fat intake to give me more energy.
For me I need to have a few snacks during the day like jwags such as a handful of almonds or some berries but I wouldn't have orange juice that would spike me really high.
Keep reading the info on this forum & any qsts just ask away there's always someone who can help or point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Jeff,
Has your doctor diagnosed you of "pre-diabetes" ? Is he/she aware of all these numbers you mentioned ? A fasting of 167 and glycated count (if you mean HbA1c) of 6.6 is considered full blown diabetes. If you haven't been to a doctor for a while I guess you take an appointment and discuss with him.

Why you are feeling weird is because you body is used to higher BGs (which it considers normal). Suddenly you are forcing your body to normal sugar levels which it thinks is low. Your body will take time, but it will ultimately adjust to normal blood sugars. Once it does each time you have a high it will revolt again.

1500 or 1300 calories is normally very less for a mid sized person. I am not sure what your hieght and weight are but I would recommend you find your calorie requirements based on the BMR (base metabolic rate) calculators and the level of activity in your daily life. These are approximate calculations but will tell you how many calories your body needs to survive and not go into a starvation mode

Remember if your body needs 2000 calories eating less will not make your BG stabilize, eating differently will

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
How does the LCHF diet affect your cholesterol levels?
It brings them down. See my signature. To be fair I am also doing a lot of exercise but I have not seen people here claiming an increase in lipids by adopting LCHF. You can start by keep saturated fats lower, but I am not sure even that is required

·
Registered
782 Posts
1500 or 1300 calories is normally very less for a mid sized person. I am not sure what your hieght and weight are but I would recommend you find your calorie requirements based on the BMR (base metabolic rate) calculators and the level of activity in your daily life. These are approximate calculations but will tell you how many calories your body needs to survive and not go into a starvation mode

Remember if your body needs 2000 calories eating less will not make your BG stabilize, eating differently will
^This.

I'm an odd duck on the forum in that I do count (and limit) calories. But my limit is based on the caloric intake I'll need to maintain my ideal body weight, which is ~1,650 kcals/day if I'm sedentary and more if I'm more active. I know this number from experience, but you can also use a BMI (body mass index) calculator (here) and a BMR (basal metabolic rate) calculator (here) to figure it out. I've read that decreasing your caloric intake too drastically lowers your BMR (your body goes into starvation mode and lowers BMR in an effort to sustain itself) and I've experienced that myself. So, for me, not only is it hard to limit my calories to fewer than ~1,400 per day, it's also inefficient. That's why I try to average ~1,650.

Bottom line: Once you've read more, you may want to skip calories counting in favor of LCHF. But if you do decide to keep counting calories, consider revisiting your caloric limit.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
How does the LCHF diet affect your cholesterol levels?
If you have your previous lipids levels for comparison, you'll be amazed at the changes effected by LCHF. Your triglycerides will drop through the floor (if you wanna see a chart of what LCHF did for my husband's levels, just say). Of course avoid trans fats, and those glistening golden man-made vegetable/corn/canola oils beckoning from the grocery store shelves. Get used to using real fats like butter, cream, sour cream, full fat yogurt. Olive oil for salads, coconut oil for cooking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So today I stayed closer to my 80 carbs per day, working my way down to 60, had 73 and felt great all day. My fasting BG was 95 and one hour afterwards it was 132 and two hours 118. Then I tried it again before lunch and it was 124 and one hour afterwards 138, two hours 122.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the machine Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts