The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Andrew I have type 1 diabetes. I was first diagnosed when I was 4 in 1995 and have been diabetic for 16 years. My dad was also diabetic and recently passed away a few years ago at age 54.

The first 10 or more years after being diagnosed I didn't take good care of my sugars at all. I went to school without taking insulin, ate and drank like a regular non diabetic mainly because I was unaware of how much I was harming myself. My sugars were mainly in the high 20's and I still felt normal. Now many years later, I have started to get complications such as vision loss and am trying my very hardest to keep my sugars regular.

I signed up here to hopefully get some good info and share my stories with everyone going through the same thing I am.

All the best

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Andrew! Glad you found us. There are a goodly number of Type 1 on here and no doubt will be along soon, but meanwhile I just wanted to wave at you and hope you feel welcomed. Lots of wisdom here!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Andrew. It's good to hear you're ready to take strong measures against this and you won't be sorry you came here. We have many type 1 members and a wealth of experience/knowledge/wisdom.

Take care and visit as often as you can! :wave:

G

·
Welcome, Andrew.

As a newly-diagnosed diabetic, I've found this place to be very reassuring and informative. Not only have I learnt how to deal with the disease, but I've also learnt how to deal with the people (like my mother) who think I'm making too much fuss over my diagnosis because the other people they know with diabetes just take whatever their doctor prescribes and live 'normally'.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum,

I'm type 2 and lucky enough not to need medication at the moment. I plan to keep it that way.

In my view the distinction between type 1 and type 2 is artificial - we both have to work to the same rules. And the main rule is to keep our blood glucose down in normal ranges. (i.e. somewhere between 4 and 6).

I do it with diet, others need medication to help. A great site to look at is Blood Sugar 101 where Jenny Ruhl, herself diabetic describes how to manage diabetes by cutting carbohydrates down. As AnnC says, one of the issues is the mindset that says, "just take your medicine and eat normally".

Well, I do eat normally - except that I keep the carbohydrate content of my daily diet down around 80 grams rather than the 180 my French doctor recommended.

In fairness, a high carb diet supported by medication will work for a while, then you're likely to find adjustments to medication become essential.

Self discipline is the second rule. Sort out your diet and exercise plan and stick to them. If you have the occasional screw-up - and we all do - admit it to yourself, then get back on the wagon!:)

On this forum, you'll find a lot of folk who have the same issues as you and me. They are only too ready to offer advice and help - and a shoulder to cry on if necessary.

Best of luck,

John

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Andrew, it is good that you are now serious about getting good control. I am surprised that the doctors during your first 10 years did not tell you about the potential complications associated with diabetes. I hope your existing problems have not progressed too far, so that proper diabetes management may reverse them. With good control we can have long, healthy lives. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy.

Ask all the questions you want, we are here to help.

Richard

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Andrew, you have found a great support group.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts