Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Hello Everyone

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Daytona 
#1 ·
My name is Janice and I'm 39 years old. I've been diabetic for about 9 years and well it hasn't been the greatest. Not that it is but yeah... My story is the I've been having Tension Headaches, Migraines, Ocular Migraines and Headaches. Almost always at the same time. It's the worst pain I can say I've ever felt. I also found out that I'm allergic to Metformin, one of the first meds I took being diabetic. Now I'm using insulin and well it's not been fun... I've lost my vision multiple times being on it. The pain is much worse than when I was on the pill. Even right now I'm feeling my head is pounding so to speak. Noises and light make it worse. I use to be able to listen to music, watch TV, go outside with no problem and now it's not the greatest. Anyone here feel this way...

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Janice

I'm so sorry you're having such a difficult time. It must be very scary to lose your vision. I have had tension headaches in the past so I know how bad they can be at times.

How are you doing managing your blood sugar levels?

#4 ·
Hi JaniceV, welcome to the forum. All I can say for the headache is ouch. I don't have one often, but when I do it is usually not good.

Sorry to hear about the problem with the metformin. Not sure which insulin(s) you are taking or how you figure your dosage. Could you give a little more info on that. There are others here that know a lot more about insulin than I do that could advise you on what works for them.

Sounds like your BG may be a little erratic. Do you count carbs? Many of us here have been very successful in controlling our BG by reducing carbs to a bare minimum. I try to stay under 30 grams a day. I have cut out all sugar, bread, potatoes, grains, pastas, starchy veggie. Keeping your BG under 140 mg/dL at all times will help keep away complications of diabetes. You should see our recipe threads and the what's for breakfast, lunch dinner threads to get a good idea of what we eat. There is also low carb for beginners website that has a lot of information and food ideas.

Reactions: JaniceV
#5 ·
Janice....welcome aboard!

Sorry you are having these problems, seems like when it rains it pours....

I cannot really address your problems with headaches as I have no experience with the type you describe. But I am curious how you decided you were allergic to metformin? You probably know there are two types of metformin. Have you tried both?

The only reason I ask is that most of us believe that metformin is one of the safest of all medications for diabetes. I am sure others here have been allergic to it, but most of us did have some struggles when we first started taking it.

As noted above, give us some more detail on your experiences so far and maybe one of us will have had some similar experiences that we can share with you.

Good Luck

#6 ·
Thanks, I'll check it out. I don't really count carbs cause well I never really think to lol. I know I should... As bad as I've been feeling I haven't really had much of an appetite. With the headaches and what not I get really bad nausea and fatigue.

#7 ·
From the beginning I had symptoms with the Metformin. The doctor I had at the time gave me the pills and within a few hours I felt something was wrong. I can tell you that I've had a multiple seizures from taking Metformin. That's part of the reason the doctor took me off them. Other than all the other symptoms I had that were really bad. (Tremors, neck pain, headaches, tension headaches, vision loss, dizziness, fatigue, passing out, seizures.) Even my mood was off all the time.

#8 ·
Janice
Are you testing your blood sugars? What are your morning (fasting numbers) looking like?

From what I know some of your issues could be related to high blood sugars or yo-yoing high to low back to high blood sugars....I am sure other issue are involved, but for a diabetic, blood sugar control could be illuminated as a contributing factor by managing your carb intake.

Are you already doing this?

#9 ·
If you haven't already, it may be helpful to see a neurologist. I used one in the past to help diagnose and treat my daily migraines. He found that I had a condition that caused a build up of pressure in the fluid around my brain, especially the optic nerve, which was causing all sorts of problems. After being treated I only get migraines a few times a year instead of every day.

Not saying that he'd find anything, just that neurologists may know of different things to look for when hunting down the cause of your headaches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.