The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this forum and joined! I'm trying new items in my diet to test effects on BG and this has been very helpful! I've been on Metformin from the start and use the VA for my health. Former USAF Capt. I asked my doc to switch to some of the newer once a week diabetic meds and asked about any new drugs on the VA formulary. No was the answer.
Do any other Vets on here use any alternative to metformin from the VA or have been offered any other alternative?
Great resource here! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
Welcome to our site, Abaco24!

I'm not a vet and I'm not on Metformin (just diet and exercise), but I'm curious about why you want to switch to a weekly medication?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BC I'm tired of taking pills and been on it for a long time, with drug tech changes I figured if the VA had something new I'd try it. My A1C is 6.2 and I eat right and exercise. I'm controlled, just curious if other vets may be on something different.

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
Hi Abaco24, welcome to the forum. USAF brat here, not a vet but on Metformin. I got off of it when I got my BG under control with diet and exercise and wanted off meds. My A1c has been running 5.1-5.3 but I've relaxed my diet some and its eased up to 5.6. I started the metformin back up a little over 6 years ago because of some other benefits it offers.

New items in the diet can be good, especially if they are low carb and replacing something with higher carbs and may be all you need to just get off the metformin and not add anything else.

Take a look at these diabetes meds and see if that is really what you want to do. There's lots of other info on the Bloodsugar101 site that you may find useful to help you reach your goal of getting off the metformin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Abaco24, welcome to the forum. USAF brat here, not a vet but on Metformin. I got off of it when I got my BG under control with diet and exercise and wanted off meds. My A1c has been running 5.1-5.3 but I've relaxed my diet some and its eased up to 5.6. I started the metformin back up a little over 6 years ago because of some other benefits it offers.

New items in the diet can be good, especially if they are low carb and replacing something with higher carbs and may be all you need to just get off the metformin and not add anything else.

Take a look at these diabetes meds and see if that is really what you want to do. There's lots of other info on the Bloodsugar101 site that you may find useful to help you reach your goal of getting off the metformin.
Thanks, I just started a new diet regiment already lost 6 lbs in two weeks so yes, will be monitoring my BG more often. I just threw out my "sugar-free" Coffeemate which was spiking my sugar to over 160, switched to heavy cream this am, added some cinnamon with Truvia, and no spike at all! Going to add some vanilla extract to tomorrow's coffee.

Just going to continue my new ways and hopefully get into the 5's A1C soon - I walk 2-5 miles a day as well. Will just take some time like everything in life.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
My morning coffee is a scoop of stevia, a heaping 1/2 tsp of ceylon cinnamon, a heaping tbsp of cacao powder, a tbsp of collagen hydrolase powder in a big mug. Set the mug on the Kuerig with reusable filled with Community Coffee with Chicory and hit the buttons for 14 ounces and strong. When it quits dripping, stir with a-2 tbsp chunk of butter on a knife, stir in 2 tbsp of MCT oil, stir in 1 tbsp black strap molasses, stir in 1 heaping tbsp of virgin unrefined coconut oil, then 5 tbsp of heavy whipping cream.

Good luck with your new diet. You can check out our recipe and diet and nutrition forums for more food ideas as well as using your preferred search engine to lookup keto or LCHF diets. And our member ShottleBop posts a daily meals and BG results you might be interested in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just found this forum and joined! I'm trying new items in my diet to test effects on BG and this has been very helpful! I've been on Metformin from the start and use the VA for my health. Former USAF Capt. I asked my doc to switch to some of the newer once a week diabetic meds and asked about any new drugs on the VA formulary. No was the answer.
Do any other Vets on here use any alternative to metformin from the VA or have been offered any other alternative?
Great resource here! Thanks
Greetings from Greenville SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts