The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, I was diagnosed May with type 2. This was a slight shock as I'm 45 and not really overweight but I kinda expected it at some point as my father has it and my grandmother.
I will be good to share other peoples experiences on here and keep motivated

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, I was diagnosed May with type 2. This was a slight shock as I'm 45 and not really overweight but I kinda expected it at some point as my father has it and my grandmother.
I will be good to share other peoples experiences on here and keep motivated
Hi Nige45,
Welcome, Im new too, A big hello from Byron Bay, your right about keeping motivated, I find this forum helps me a lot, not feeling so alone with this disease.
Have you had a look at blood sugar 101, yet it great and explains so much, Have fun.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Nige . . . good to meet you - glad you found us! Sorry about your diagnosis—none of us wanted to join this club—but the good news is, it can be managed.

Take care & visit us often! :wave:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shanny said:
Welcome aboard, Nige . . . good to meet you - glad you found us! Sorry about your diagnosis—none of us wanted to join this club—but the good news is, it can be managed.

Take care & visit us often! :wave:
Thanks Shanny,
I'm managing it well up to now, I lost a few kg, eat healthy and feel great, just now I'm starting to want the things on the menu I shouldn't be having and that kinda gets me down when I think this is forever.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks Shanny,
I'm managing it well up to now, I lost a few kg, eat healthy and feel great, just now I'm starting to want the things on the menu I shouldn't be having and that kinda gets me down when I think this is forever.
Keep tuned in for our cooking & meal conversations - we have a LOT of tricks & tradeoffs we use to fool our appetites into thinking they're eating something they aren't! heheh And there's another thing - some of the most wonderful dishes of all are not CARBY at all! I dearly LOVE eggs benedict, and once I ditch that English muffin & replace it with a thin bun or reasonable facsimile, it's wonderfully healthy for my BG!

I shouldn't be telling you this so soon in our friendship :)D), but I made potato salad this week using diced baby turnips & you couldn't even tell. I've made it before using cooked green bananas too - that was just as good. Some of us are incredibly sneaky in tweaking our recipes! :p

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
just now I'm starting to want the things on the menu I shouldn't be having and that kinda gets me down when I think this is forever.
Hi, Nige. My husband and I were diagnosed on the same day. I knew if we had to spend the rest of our lives eating only meat, eggs, cheese and certain veggies, we would never be able to stick with it. Luckily I found this forum shortly after being diagnosed, and these folks told me to revise my old standby recipes to low carb. I have been doing that, and once they are as good as I can get them, I post them in the recipe section of the forum.

I also found out there is a low-carb substitute for most of the high-carb foods we miss so much. In the recipe section you'll find low carb recipes for faux mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, pizza, muffins, bread, crackers, and more.

Many of us do some of our shopping at Netrition.com where they have lots of no-carb products like barbeque sauce, syrup in different flavors, jellies and more. And they charge very little for shipping. Truthfully, I don't feel deprived at all. Well, the one thing I do miss is spaghetti, but sometimes I think there must be a low carb spaghetti recipe 'out there' on the web somewhere. I just have to find it, and if I can't find it, I may have to buy a pasta machine and invent my own. :D

Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I shouldn't be telling you this so soon in our friendship :)D), but I made potato salad this week using diced baby turnips & you couldn't even tell.
Believe her! She has been munching on it nonstop trying to detect the difference... <fleeees>

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much guys it's good to know there's all you lot here who have been doing this for a lot longer than I have. I'll be trying the potato salad for sure. I've been making pizzas with wholemeal lavash bread, they're so good we now have pizza night every Friday, even the kids love.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. For many of us the D diagnosis was a shock. I was not really overweight, well maybe a touch- 148 lbs. But I was very active and basically ate a low fat vegetarian diet. I now know my D body doesn't like low fat. So I have had to change the way I think about food. I eat a lot more nuts, avacodos and even bacon and of course eggs. For so long eggs got a bad rap but for diabetics they are great. What is nice about forums like this is that we are all in the same boat. As Shanny said we like to share food tips and of course recipes. We do like to eat and even with diabetes we don't deprive ourselves of fantastic food- just low carb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum. For many of us the D diagnosis was a shock. I was not really overweight, well maybe a touch- 148 lbs. But I was very active and basically ate a low fat vegetarian diet. I now know my D body doesn't like low fat. So I have had to change the way I think about food. I eat a lot more nuts, avacodos and even bacon and of course eggs. For so long eggs got a bad rap but for diabetics they are great. What is nice about forums like this is that we are all in the same boat. As Shanny said we like to share food tips and of course recipes. We do like to eat and even with diabetes we don't deprive ourselves of fantastic food- just low carb.
Hi jwags
Thanks, it's good to be here. Sharing food tips in something I can do, I've been a chef for nearly 30 years so cooking at home is not a problem for me.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome Nige45 your just what we need more cooks :). I am 53 - 8 months in - 6'1" went from a healthy 185 lbs now down to a skinny 165lbs & from 34" waist to a 32 or less. All I know is all my cloths are lose and without belts I need a new cloths. Even on the last holes on my belts. I need to stabilize my weight loss so food is of great interest
HBS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts