The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am happy to have found you. I feel like I have been looking for a long time. I am pre-diabetic and not on any diabetic meds. I have had what I called "sugar fits" for a long time but I didn't appreciate what was happening until I got a glucose meter. Sugar fits were renamed lows and I added glucose tabs to my purse. I test my blood every morning and at times measure over 7 mmol/l. Most times though it is sitting from 5.8-6.9. ( am I splitting hairs?). My last a1c was 6.0.

The latest concern is that I have developed peripheral neuropathy in both my feet. I am taking gabapentin for this.
:canada::canada::canada:
I don't know what else to add without sounding like I am over-reacting. On the lighter side I am a grandma, mother and wife. Hubby and I are looking forward to our "golden years" together.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hi
I am happy to have found you. I feel like I have been looking for a long time. I am pre-diabetic and not on any diabetic meds. I have had what I called "sugar fits" for a long time but I didn't appreciate what was happening until I got a glucose meter. Sugar fits were renamed lows and I added glucose tabs to my purse. I test my blood every morning and at times measure over 7 mmol/l. Most times though it is sitting from 5.8-6.9. ( am I splitting hairs?). My last a1c was 6.0.

The latest concern is that I have developed peripheral neuropathy in both my feet. I am taking gabapentin for this.
:canada::canada::canada:
I don't know what else to add without sounding like I am over-reacting. On the lighter side I am a grandma, mother and wife. Hubby and I are looking forward to our "golden years" together.
Hi Working Hard and welcome. It's good to have you here and for sure you have come to the right place. Loads of info and good people here are ready to be friends and help:D.

Gene

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Grandma! Your numbers look very good. I hope you no longer have bad lows since you are using glucose tablets to stay in range. A roller coaster control with many highs and lows can lead to complications, such as neuropathy. I had some neuropathy a few years ago, but I tightened my control and stopped having so many highs and lows. A few months later all the symptoms of my neuropathy disappeared. A good A1c (preferably 6.5 or less) combined with stable control makes diabetes related complications much less likely to occur.

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, WH. Sure is nice to have another grandma around here! Being a granny is definitely on the lighter side! :D I hope you'll be able to visit frequently. Thank you for joining us! :wave:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi. If you are a pre-diabetic, not on insulin, you are type 2. I am also type 2, and sometimes I feel flushed and sweaty, kind of light-headed. When that happens, I have tested my bg and it has never been high or low. But if I eat something no-carb or low-carb, the feelings go away. So in my case, when I get light-headed, I know it is time to eat.

I read somewhere on the forum that if you are a type 2, you don't have to worry about your bg falling too low, because it won't, you only have to worry about highs. I am wondering what you consider to be low blood sugar. From what I have read, around 70 and below, which would be about 4.0 or 4.1 is considered to be low bg.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi to everyone
Gizmo I consider a low to be less than 4.0. I have had numerous lows as low as 3.6, sometimes 3.8. I absolutely hate the feeling. Once, and only once it felt like my fingers had stopped functioning. I was standing in the check-out line at Safeway and couldn't access my credit card. Of course I tried hard to fake it! My doc did tell me that it would self-correct; it just took me awhile to believe.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm glad that the problem will correct itself for you.

I want to correct something in my previous post. I said type 2s don't have to worry about lows, but I believe if they are on insulin, it is possible they might have lows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
introducing myself

Hi
I am happy to have found you. I feel like I have been looking for a long time.
Actually, I'm a boy of 20 years of age. I've been suffering from type 1 diabetes for last six years. I was absolutely normal before that. I'm on insulin now. My life has become a hell now. I long wanted to find somebody whom I can share my problems with. Today, I found you. Please be my friend.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Welcome to the forum:

You might get more attention if you started your own thread with details that other T1's could relate to.

Hi
I am happy to have found you. I feel like I have been looking for a long time.
Actually, I'm a boy of 20 years of age. I've been suffering from type 1 diabetes for last six years. I was absolutely normal before that. I'm on insulin now. My life has become a hell now. I long wanted to find somebody whom I can share my problems with. Today, I found you. Please be my friend.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I read somewhere on the forum that if you are a type 2, you don't have to worry about your bg falling too low, because it won't, you only have to worry about highs.
I want to correct something in my previous post. I said type 2s don't have to worry about lows, but I believe if they are on insulin, it is possible they might have lows.
These 2 statements that I made started bothering me after doing more reading on this site this morning. I don't want to give out any misinformation. I should have studied up on this myself instead of repeating what I read on the forum without checking it out. My apologies, Wrkng-hard.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi, Wrking-hard. I saw you logged in and decided to bring up your old thread. How have things been going for you? Have you found a way to regulate your bg? Are you on any meds now? Any particular type of diet? Sorry to be so nosy.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone
I have been bouncing between firm denial and firmer denial. I have had three blood tests in the past year; first a1c was 6.2, 2nd was 6.0 and the third was 5.9. My doc is thrilled even though my bp is elevated at night and my weight is out of control and my neuropathy in my feet are driving me crazy. I believe my a1c remain nice and low because I seem to have hypos regularly. I haven't followed any diet lately. I am not taking any diabetic meds. I think I sound confused. I feel confused. It's been a year of change for us and I am blaming my lack of control on that. Sorry for going on and on.
Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Looks like you need to cut down on those nasty old carbs some more. Are you eating to your meter? If you don't know what that means, let us know and we'll explain it to you.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hii spunky
Eliminating those "nasty carbs" is my problem...ha ha! I think I will confirm my understanding of eating to my meter before I waste any more of your time.
Thanks.
Deb

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hii spunky
Eliminating those "nasty carbs" is my problem...ha ha! I think I will confirm my understanding of eating to my meter before I waste any more of your time.
Thanks.
Deb
I have talked to many individuals that were getting lows before being dx a type 2. Its called the hyper/hypo response. When you eat carbs the pancreas knows you ate them and just keeps releasing insulin, to much and you drop. One way to help this is to reduce the carbs, most I talk to that had this issue seem to do much better after reducing carb intake.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi again
This is the first time I behave heard the term hyper/hypo response. Thinking about my last severe low, we were driving back from Regina to Calgary and suddenly I was shaky, unable to concentrate, and unable to drive. I was glad that DH was with me. My bg was 3.6. I had my glucose tabs with me but it still took about an hour to completely recover. The hyper/hypo response sounds right since I had a high carb breakfast; pancakes with berries. What surprises me was it didn't hit until mid-afternoon, after i had eaten a low carb lunch. I guess i should of been testing??? I won't do that again! I'll stick to an omelet.
I should change my I'd to still-learning!
Thanks for the info.
Deb

1 - 17 of 17 Posts