The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome David!
Hi everyone, my name is Coralee and I was diagnosed 9 days ago with type 2. My first BG was 18.1 (fasting), who knows how high it would have been if I'd had breakfast beforehand! I should find out early next week the results of my first A1C - bit scary!

My story - I am 28 yrs old and overweight (want to lose about 45kg). There is strong history of diabetes (both type 1 & 2) in my family so it wasn't that surprising to hear my diagnosis. I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for about 2 yrs. most of my symptoms were tiredness, aching muscles, headaches, severe sugar cravings and mood swings all of which i put down to depression. The last couple weeks however I became insatiably thirsty and many trips to the bathroom. So I went to see my doctor to get checked out. My suspicions were right!

I am on 1000mg Diabex XR with dinner and testing my BG 4 times a day (before breakfast, before lunch, before dinner and 2 hrs after dinner). I immediately switched to a low GI diet (not low carbs - just choosing the better ones!) and also limiting bad fats. My fasting BG is now down around 7 and up to 8 or 9 two hours after meals. I've also started walking - not much - just 30 minutes most days. The pedometer is a good idea. I will start using one and try to get up to 10,000 steps a day.

I have noticed dramatic changes in the last week, including not feeling tired for the first time in ages. aches gone. hunger and sugar cravings gone. Headaches gone. Mood much more stable. This is the best I've felt in years! I think diabetes may be a blessing in disguise for me!

I look forward to joining in discussions and learning from others that understand what I'm going through! Anyway, I tend to get carried away and type too much - sorry about that :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Coralee - welcome to the forum! I moved your post from another thread so you could have your very own introductory one :)

You've done so well in only 9 days - tremendous - and reaped well-deserved rewards. It's remarkable how we get used to feeling crappy and think it's somehow normal, or attribute it to other things. I can relate. The frog in the boiling pot syndrome.

Very glad you landed here with us, and look forward to following your journey and participating in it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome and congrats for your great success. I think you may find as you get more active and lose weight your bgs will fall into line. Don't be afraid of low carb many of us find it has worked great for us, especially in losing weight.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Coralee. What a pretty name!

I hope you'll make yourself at home here & we can all get better acquainted - thank you for joining us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts