The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice to meet everyone. I was told today that the results of my blood test was A1C of 9.8 sugar reading 319. I am completely disabled from a spinal injury and in a rehab hospital trying to learn to walk. Its been 2 years. I have gained 100 lbs since here to current weight of 344. I will be 46 tomorrow. Needless to say I'm very worried regarding this new complications. I start Metformen* tomorrow and insulin as needed. I am hoping to educate myself to help myself. Thanks for reading.

·
Super Moderator
9,940 Posts
Hi Jennifer, Welcome to the forum and Happy Birthday.

Wow, you've got a lot going on, sorry to hear all that. You sound like you have a very positive attitude though, so that is a plus.

Metformin works well for many people, but not so well for others. It is infamous for it digestive upset, but for most that does go away. If it is the regular metformin and it gives you issues, ask for the extended release version, it is supposed to be more user friendly. Insulin, if needed. is a good choice too. That is the choice i would make if my BG would get out of whack.

In addition, it would help to look at what you eat. If you are getting the Standard American Diet, and I'm assuming the rehab is serving that to you, ask to see if they have low carb or keto options. Carbohydrates are the biggest source of blood glucose. Many here have seen benefits for both their blood glucose control as well as weight loss with a low carb higher fat diet and the good thing is you don't have to feel like you are starving yourself for it to work. For me, it's not a diet, but a way of life. Reducing carbs in foods and drinks will make the biggest impact.

If you like to read, click HERE and it will take you to the BloodSugar101 website, lots of information about diabetes and how to best manage it. To me, it was time well spent and I still go back there for updates and refreshing my memory on things. Between the information you can get from it as well as here on the forum, I think we can help reduce the worry from the diabetes aspect.

Reactions: itissteve

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Jennifer, I'd like to add my welcome to you as well. As mbuster wrote, you do have a lot going on.

In addition, it would help to look at what you eat. If you are getting the Standard American Diet, and I'm assuming the rehab is serving that to you, ask to see if they have low carb or keto options.
A close family member was in the hospital recently. I took a look at the menu from which he could choose his meals. The low-carb offerings were ... sparse. American medicine seems to have decided that diabetics can only eat the way people eat when their bodies have no trouble regulating insulin and blood glucose levels. You may have to be your own advocate in switching out menu options so that they're more suited to a low-carb eating plan.

You also may need to do a little education: even among family and friends who know I eat low-carb, I'm still offered plenty of potatoes and carrots and tomatoes and fruit and sugary condiments like barbecue sauce and salad dressings because many people have no idea of how much sugar is in these foods ("But they're vegetables; they must be okay, right?")

It could be interesting to do a little reading on the effects of a higher-fat eating plan on spinal cord injuries, given how critical fat is to the function of our nervous systems. Not saying it's a fix but that the common phobia about eating fat may be counterproductive for you right now.

Again, welcome to the forum. Please take a look around and read up on whatever catches your eye. If you have other questions, please post appropriately and we'll see what the body of experience here can come up with.

·
Super Moderator
9,940 Posts
Searching for keto diet and spinal cord injuries, I ran across this July 2021 article. It looks like it is pretty promising if started early on for traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries. It also mentions ketone ester supplementation as being beneficial. I would think that there could be benefits if started later too.

I didn't have time to find more info about this article this evening. Looks like it leads to a site that posts medical articles for paying subscribers, just doing a quick peek.

Reactions: itissteve

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Hello, Chrissbill, welcome to the site! Feel free to look around and find what interests you.

Can i ask you to post a little more about yourself in the New Members Forum -- diabetic history, how you're managing it (or not managing it; that happens sometime, too), and what you hope to gain from being part of our community?

You can find that forum here: New Member Introductions Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts