The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My name is Bob Smits and I'm a 68 year old type 2 diabetic who's been on insulin for the past 6 years. I'm on a low carb diet (trying to stick to about 30 grams /day and I use 30/70 humulin insulin twice a day 120 units in the morning before breakfast and 75 units before supper. I check my blood sugar before meals and when I go to bed. The nurse at the diabetes unit suggests I might start using Tragenta as well to try to reduce my need for insulin.

I've recently increased my insulin to the level mentioned to try to lower my A1C readings - 8.6 last month, so I'm doing a two week trial with these insulin amounts to see how my blood sugars fare.

Anyone have any experience withTragenta?

·
Super Moderator
9,634 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I personally don't have any experience with Tradjenta, but I always wonder why doctors try to prescribe a drug that forces the pancreas to make more insulin to people who obviously already do not make enough insulin. And with drugs that have damaging, if not deadly, side effects.

Do you check your BG after meals/insulin injections to see how effective your insulin is. If you're pretty true to adhering to 30 grams per day of carbs you should see an improvement in your BG just from that. I'm assuming that you just started with low carb lately, if so, all the more reason to keep a closer eye on the BG.

You might ask the diabetes nurse if there might not be a better insulin regimen to use than a mixed insulin and fixed dosages. Or better yet, I suggest you see if your local library has Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner or Using Insulin by John Walsh.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hi Bob, Welcome aboard! I'm actually a newbie to diabetes so I won't be of much help. I also wanted to welcome you to the forum.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hi Bob and Welcome....

You have just joined with a very large group of diabetics. You will find as people have a chance to read your first post, someone will probably have experience with Tragenta you mentioned. I have no experience/ knowledge of that product. Sorry but.....

I am a 67 year old male who has had type 2 for over 12 years now. Before 2015 my doctors, like your medical folks, put me on different drugs and increased my dosage to manage my blood sugar. One drug he had me on, Januvia, caused me to have upper respiratory infections. I kept getting them and they would quickly cause me to get real sick needing heavy doses of antibiotics. Sometime during that year, I got smart and went on line and did research on that drug...their it was, a side affect was 'upper respiratory infections. My doctor missed it....so I changed doctors and got off that drug. As planned, no infections since then....!

I found this site in 2015 and learned here how to eat low carb and supplementing my low carbs, with added fat consumption. All the reading and research I did taught me that by adding fat I lost the cravings for carbs that historically broke me down when I started going real low carbs. I stopped being hungry after I ate....I can do this, forever, no problem....

Your current low carb consumption is outstanding and I am amazed that you have not seen a major improvement in your blood sugars. Mine started dropping within 3-4 days. For most everyone I know that went low carb like you did...within a couple of weeks they were seeing world class blood sugars consistently....

That is what happened to me and I also was able to drop my insulin (slow acting insulin, taken at night) from 126u to 26u over six months of eating low carb! I hope you are just starting low carb and have yet to see the rewards.....also, if you are finding it hard to stay low carb...have some fat with your meals...eggs, cheese, avocado, heavy cream with coffee or tea, bacon, hamburger, etc.

Best of luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Greetings from Richmond, Virginia! There's a Ladysmith in the Old Dominion too!

Just a few years behind you. When I'm your age, I'll have a similar report - 6 years on insulin. This year my journey began, at the youthful age of 62!

f-d

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I personally don't have any experience with Tradjenta, but I always wonder why doctors try to prescribe a drug that forces the pancreas to make more insulin to people who obviously already do not make enough insulin. And with drugs that have damaging, if not deadly, side effects.

Do you check your BG after meals/insulin injections to see how effective your insulin is. If you're pretty true to adhering to 30 grams per day of carbs you should see an improvement in your BG just from that. I'm assuming that you just started with low carb lately, if so, all the more reason to keep a closer eye on the BG.

You might ask the diabetes nurse if there might not be a better insulin regimen to use than a mixed insulin and fixed dosages. Or better yet, I suggest you see if your local library has Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner or Using Insulin by John Walsh.

Yes. I check before breakfast, at lunch and before supper. I'll look for these books. Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bob and Welcome....

You have just joined with a very large group of diabetics. You will find as people have a chance to read your first post, someone will probably have experience with Tragenta you mentioned. I have no experience/ knowledge of that product. Sorry but.....

I am a 67 year old male who has had type 2 for over 12 years now. Before 2015 my doctors, like your medical folks, put me on different drugs and increased my dosage to manage my blood sugar. One drug he had me on, Januvia, caused me to have upper respiratory infections. I kept getting them and they would quickly cause me to get real sick needing heavy doses of antibiotics. Sometime during that year, I got smart and went on line and did research on that drug...their it was, a side affect was 'upper respiratory infections. My doctor missed it....so I changed doctors and got off that drug. As planned, no infections since then....!

I found this site in 2015 and learned here how to eat low carb and supplementing my low carbs, with added fat consumption. All the reading and research I did taught me that by adding fat I lost the cravings for carbs that historically broke me down when I started going real low carbs. I stopped being hungry after I ate....I can do this, forever, no problem....

Your current low carb consumption is outstanding and I am amazed that you have not seen a major improvement in your blood sugars. Mine started dropping within 3-4 days. For most everyone I know that went low carb like you did...within a couple of weeks they were seeing world class blood sugars consistently....

That is what happened to me and I also was able to drop my insulin (slow acting insulin, taken at night) from 126u to 26u over six months of eating low carb! I hope you are just starting low carb and have yet to see the rewards.....also, if you are finding it hard to stay low carb...have some fat with your meals...eggs, cheese, avocado, heavy cream with coffee or tea, bacon, hamburger, etc.

Best of luck
I've had diabetes for a very long time. I started off just using metformin, and had to increase doses over time - then I quit using it since it made me sick to my stomach. There was a gap of several years before I went on insulin - a big mistake i think. Anyway I'm trying to get everything back to where it belongs.

·
Registered
830 Posts
There are quite a few Ladysmiths- South Africa, Wisconsin, BC, for example
Hello and welcome from Powhatan VA. I've wondered what the word Ladysmith means or it's derivation....I know what blacksmiths do and silversmiths...but Ladysmith?????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re Ladysmith origins

Hello and welcome from Powhatan VA. I've wondered what the word Ladysmith means or it's derivation....I know what blacksmiths do and silversmiths...but Ladysmith?????
Prior to incorporation, in 1900, the town of Oyster Harbour was renamed Ladysmith in honour of the British lifting the siege of Ladysmith in South Africa (28 February 1900) during the Second Boer War. (The original town of Ladysmith in South Africa in turn took its name from Juana María de los Dolores de León Smith, known as Lady Smith, the Spanish wife of Sir Harry Smith, the British Governor of the Cape Colony and high commissioner in South Africa from 1847 to 1852.[

1 - 11 of 11 Posts