The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed last month with diabetes - I went from taking no medicine to taking a lot of medicine. I saw someone with what looked like a signature block with info on their stats so I created one.
Maybe I will figure out how to use it as a signature block rather than just cut and paste. Don't have all my stats in front of me but will look them up. My insurance keeps the records which is a nice feature. Have only been testing for a couple of weeks seems like my blood sugar goes up and down. Guess it will be explained the next time I see my doctor which is after the holidays. I was reading some on the blog and people use abbreviations that since I am new to this I do not know what they mean. Can people spell out what they are saying rather than us abbreviations that a newbie like me is unfamiliar with or maybe it would be better to build an index of abbreviations associated with diabetes so newbies like me can understand.

Would not let me post my stats says have to have have made 5 posts or more before I can paste my stats which are a picture on Flickr.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Welcome to the Forum LuckyLady. Why don't you just post your stats here as a text in your messages. Maybe that can work for the time being...

I know it can be tough with the abbreviations but just ask each time you see a thing you cant understand. We are thinking about building a Index too. Anyways the most common abbreviations are

BG/BS/PBG = Blood Glucose/Blood Sugar/Plasma blood glucose
FBG = Fasting Blood Glucose
HbA1c = Glycosated Hemoglobin

Ask if you are looking for something in particular

By the way welcome to the this great forum !

Tony

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-news/2141-how-about-sticky.html#post9401

We keep thinking about doing the abbreviations thing, but it's a time-consuming project. ;)

Welcome to DF, Lady. Your active membership will kick in (complete with avatar, signature block, PM privileges, etc) after you make a few more posts - just be patient. We're a little more strict here than many other forums, and it isn't necessarily a bad thing (you'll notice the absence of spammy & otherwise irksome posts).

If you wouldn't mind, we'd like to know more about your diabetes & how you're managing it. How you came to be diagnosed, what your numbers are like, any changes you've made in your lifestyle to accommodate this disorder. :rolleyes:

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Welcome to the forum Luckylady,

The post on abbreviations has been created. It will grow with time.
We understand the difficulty in understanding the terms in the initial stages, as we have all gone through it.
I'd suggest that you visit the forum a lot, read the threads (old & new) learn and implement. Surely, you'll be posting good numbers soon.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi, LuckyLady. When first diagnosed, I felt totally lost, too. But I went to Blood Sugar 101 and did some reading. It is written so a novice can understand, and I can't tell you how much it helped me out.

If you have any questions, ask away. There are some very educated people here, when it comes to Diabetes.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum Luckylady,

The post on abbreviations has been created. It will grow with time.
We understand the difficulty in understanding the terms in the initial stages, as we have all gone through it.
I'd suggest that you visit the forum a lot, read the threads (old & new) learn and implement. Surely, you'll be posting good numbers soon.

Good Luck.
Where is this post?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the Forum LuckyLady. Why don't you just post your stats here as a text in your messages. Maybe that can work for the time being...

I know it can be tough with the abbreviations but just ask each time you see a thing you cant understand. We are thinking about building a Index too. Anyways the most common abbreviations are

BG/BS/PBG = Blood Glucose/Blood Sugar/Plasma blood glucose
FBG = Fasting Blood Glucose
HbA1c = Glycosated Hemoglobin

Ask if you are looking for something in particular

By the way welcome to the this great forum !

Tony
Funny you did not hit a single abbreviation I had written down:
BSGR
CMGS
GMC
b.i.d.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Funny you did not hit a single abbreviation I had written down:
BSGR
CMGS
GMC
b.i.d.
Maybe there's a reason for that - I have been unable to find any diabetic terms for the acronyms you suggest. I do know that GMC stands for General Motors Corporation. Some of our members use a CGMS (continuous glucose monitoring system), but BSGR and CMGS are unknown to me.

b.i.d. means bis in diē - does that help? b.i.d. (on prescription) definition

Now go to the Diabetes forum and see if you can find the abbreviations thread.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome!

I'm guessing that BSGR is someone's own abbreviation for "blood sugar." I drive a GMC pickup. CMGS might be CGMS -- "continuous glucose monitoring system" -- with a letter transposed.

Didn't know what b.i.d. could be, until Shanny posted it above.

I see there's a new sticky thread for abbreviations. But somebody always pops up with a new one. If a post is filled with alphabet soup, and you can't find answers in the sticky thread, please ask!

I remember the first couple of months post diagnosis -- and not with fondness. How are you coping? Please let us know!

Reactions: NiceLuckyLady

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Reactions: NiceLuckyLady

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"If you wouldn't mind, we'd like to know more about your diabetes & how you're managing it."
Only been diagnosed a few weeks. Trying to figure out how to manage. Checked my blood later last night, normally do before I eat dinner but was 98 which is good. Sometime I forget to test so I am just getting use to this. Why is it normally higher in the morning?? I have read something about liver dumping in morning - what is this??

"How you came to be diagnosed" My PCP just retired, was surprised to learn he was 77. He kept saying I was borderline and did not need to be treated. My new PCP is young and she said I have diabetes. I have been seeing a Podiatrist for over a year now for pain in my feet which he had diagnosed as neuropathy, he said caused by high sugar. No one in my family has been diagnosed with diabetes.

"what your numbers are like"
A1C 6.6
HDL 33
LDL 125
Chol 197
Trig 195

"any changes you've made in your lifestyle to accommodate this disorder"
No bread in my house also taking many meds where I use to take none including any supplements. Trying to reduce carbs. I have been on the B-12 injections because Podiatrist said low B-12 can also cause foot problem I went from a 194 last year to 586 this year but new doc said to keep taking and some reading I did suggested one of the meds they put me on can also reduce B-12. I was surprised at all the issues low B-12 can cause.
Medicine:
Cyanocobalamin 100mcg B-12 injection once a month
Metformin (Diabetes) 500mg 1 time a day – morning
Zocor (Cholesterol) 20mg 1 time a day – night
Lisinopril 5mg 1 time a day – night
(Diabetic Kidney Disease)

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you! That's great - knowing these things can help us help you. Like you mentioned the coconut oil before . . . adding it to your reduced carbs way-of-eating will help you get those lipids numbers in line. Most of us try hard to keep our lipids under good control, and if you can manage it with a low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating, you can dump the Zocor. Statins often cause more trouble than they help.

The more you can reduce your carbs and raise the fats in your meals, the quicker you'll see improvement in your diabetes control. You seem to have caught this pretty early on, and once you get your blood sugar down & stable, you may see a reduction in the neuropathy as well as better lipids profile. Good job getting rid of the bread in your house . . . all cereal grain products are bad for blood sugar. So are potatoes, pasta & rice, so all those "white" foods should be reduced too.

Metformin is a pretty standard diabetes drug, and many of us take it because it reduces insulin resistance, but it doesn't damage the pancreas like other oral diabetes drugs do. It's been around for a long time and is a very safe drug. If you got off all your other meds, you might want to continue metformin.

The B12 is a good supplement too, and I take it myself because I'm on a high dose of metformin, and metformin can cause B12 deficiency.

Thanks again so much for filling in the blanks.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Sounds like you're heading in a good direction! :D

Diabetic diagnoses are being made at lower levels than they used to be, which probably explains the difference between your old and new docs.

"Liver dumping" is when your sugar goes low, so your liver assumes you're starving and pushes (usually, way too much) glucose into your system.

For many folks, liver dump is the culprit behind the Dawn Phenomenon, or high fasting glucose levels -- those pesky spikes first thing in the morning.

If my bedtime level is lower than I'd like, I usually have a stick of string cheese, a boiled egg -- something protein-y before bed. That helps to keep my levels somewhat, well, level throughout the night.

For others, the Dawn Phenomenon is a trickier thing. Hopefully, some folks will chime in with additional advice.

Glad you found us, sorry you had to!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Lucky, welcome to the machine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My signature block has kicked in with my stats. And these are some things I have tried to relieve Painful Neuropathy:

1. Nerve Block to my foot - Dr. said think of it like rebooting computer. He said he had some patients he could do this a few times a year and did away with pain. Not me when rebooted here came the pain.

2. ALA - Alpha Lipoic Acid - no joy

3. ALC - Acetyl L-Carnitine - no joy

4. Tens Machine - Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation - Dr. recommended - therapist did first treatment then I got my own machine. Works while you use it but does not fix the problem.

5. Low level light therapy - did this thru doctors office - like the tens machine worked while you were using it but does not fix the problem.

6. ProArgi-9 Plus contains 5,000 mg (5 grams) of pharmaceutical grade "l-arginine" - I take as a mix into 8oz of water and substitute this for my morning juice. Dr. recommended this. Been doing this for about a year and no joy from this either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
My daughter pointed these out to me a while back. My guess it is a scam considering they want $40 a pop for a pair of socks. Little steep don't you think. As I told my daughter there is so much stuff out there like this you just have to decide what you are willing to spend your money on and a $40 pair of socks is not for me. What do you know about support formula? Something I just heard of lately.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.