The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm Su from Malaysia. I'm new in managing food for diabetes. Few days ago I bought a glucometer to monitor myself, not because of any doctors advice but because I have a diabetic father, and I'm just worried about my golden years later. Lo and behold, I think, probably, I'm in the prediabetic category.

I'm confused with the new unfamiliar terms and I'm lost in identifying between the safe and the dangerous Malaysian food. I don't understand how at times my fasting sugar goes down to 4.5 but then, like today, it is 7.5. Eratic readings. I'm not on any medications yet. I'm depressed to discover the truth about my blood glucose. Don't want to mention the glucose level after food...(sigh).

This is my first forum, and hoping i can learn from your experience. I'm afraid to see a doctor- coz of covid. That is the last place I wanna go because I'm in the red zone.

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
Hello, Su! I'm glad you joined us here.

I can understand (and shared) your depression over high blood glucose numbers; my dad was diabetic, too. But there are things you can do to improve your condition, and eating better is one of them. Many of us here manage our diabetes by eating foods very low in carbohydrates. That may be a challenge in a country where so many of the meals include noodles or starchy vegetables (like potatoes or onions) or flours that thicken sauces. But if you can cook for yourself, there are several substitutes that can get you by.

One resource we like to mention is the BloodSugar101 site (this link points specifically to foods to minimize or avoid and possible substitutes; it's quite American-centric in what's listed but it should be a good start for you). There also are subforums on our site on Diet and Nutrition and Recipes; both of those can help you figure out what you can eat without causing dangerous spikes in your blood glucose. Feel free to look around! The BloodSugar101 site also is good at explaining the whole food-carbohydrates-insulin-blood glucose management chain.

Here is a thread on abbreviations and terms that might be helpful. And, of course, we're here for questions, as well.

I hope to see more posts from you as you start to manage your blood glucose.

·
Super Moderator
9,724 Posts
Hi honeyberry, Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us but sorry to hear that you had to.

Congrats on being proactive on a potential health issue. Diabetes is not the end of the world, and getting started addressing it early on will keep it from being too much of a problem. There is a lot of experience to be found here on the forum and a willingness to share experiences,

itissteve has pointed you in a good direction, and as he said, we are here when you have questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, Su! I'm glad you joined us here.

I can understand (and shared) your depression over high blood glucose numbers; my dad was diabetic, too. But there are things you can do to improve your condition, and eating better is one of them. Many of us here manage our diabetes by eating foods very low in carbohydrates. That may be a challenge in a country where so many of the meals include noodles or starchy vegetables (like potatoes or onions) or flours that thicken sauces. But if you can cook for yourself, there are several substitutes that can get you by.

One resource we like to mention is the BloodSugar101 site (this link points specifically to foods to minimize or avoid and possible substitutes; it's quite American-centric in what's listed but it should be a good start for you). There also are subforums on our site on Diet and Nutrition and Recipes; both of those can help you figure out what you can eat without causing dangerous spikes in your blood glucose. Feel free to look around! The BloodSugar101 site also is good at explaining the whole food-carbohydrates-insulin-blood glucose management chain.

Here is a thread on abbreviations and terms that might be helpful. And, of course, we're here for questions, as well.

I hope to see more posts from you as you start to manage your blood glucose.
Thank you @itissteve and thank you for this marvelous support group. I watched the TED talk by Dr Sarah. She certainly spark hopes in me. I thought I had taken good care of my diets, but turns out otherwise. Yes, I usually cook most meal for myself and family. But I was misled to believe it was the acceptably healthy way. Now I see that I have to learn new sets of recipe and adapt to new way of eating.

Thank you for the links (bloodSugar101 and the abbreviations), when I really understand the concept, I hope to create Malaysian recipe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi @mbuster !
Only here, from the stories here, I can divorce diabetes and thank you for showing the way. I was under the impression that it was a progressive disease, and though I might be able to delay the progression, it was impossible to turn back the clock. Thank you, love you guys.

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
I was under the impression that it was a progressive disease, and though I might be able to delay the progression, it was impossible to turn back the clock.
To be completely accurate, diabetes is a progressive disease. But managing blood glucose well and minimizing the need for medications to address it can make that progression quite slow.

Maybe someday we'll know enough about diabetes to figure out how to eliminate it as an illness. Right now, though, no one can truthfully promise to reverse or "cure" diabetes with anything besides a pancreas transplant. In the meantime, though, mbuster is absolutely correct in saying you can make it not too much of a problem. You can live a life that's about as healthy as someone who is not diabetic. That's not bad at all...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts