The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking on the forums since last Monday when I was officially diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and now I'm brave enough to introduce myself. Hi!

I am a 48yo woman with a history of heart disease (a heart attack five years ago and four stents), but no family history of diabetes. Since my diagnosis, I've been taking 500mg Metformin twice a day, along with my six heart meds. I am overweight, but have lost 2.5kg since my diagnosis, so yay me. I'm feeling OK on the Metformin - a litlle bit of stomach upset, but nothing to get upset about. Since my diagnosis I've been absorbing as much information as I can about the disease, but it sure is a complicated thing.

If I may, I have a couple of questions that I hope some seasoned diabetics can help me with ...

1. The complications of diabetes: Do these occur gradually, or does one just wake up one day with nerve damage etc?

2. I'm trying to lose weight, and keep my cholesterol in check: should I be counting carbs and is there an optimum number of carb grams to aim for? Should I be reducing saturated fat? Before diabetes, I would eat primarily fresh vegetables and fruit, lean protein and whole grain cereals and that's what I'm doing right now, but my bg levels are all over the place.

3. What would happen if I just went crazy one day and ate cakes, sweets, ice cream and chocolate - not that I plan to do that, but I am curious

4. How likely is it that I will no longer need Metformin once I get my weight under control?

Thanks for reading, and for being here. I've already learned so much from these forums.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. As a fairly new boy with little experience on the drug front I can't say a lot about the use of metformin, however on the diet front I recommend you count the carbs far more than the calories.

Currently I'm on around 70grams per day and that seems to work for me. Forget the advice about cutting saturated fats - it's the carbs that matter.

Now, the problem with starting the diet is that the body will burn carbs in preference to fats when they are on offer. So, when you cut the carbs back you may find that you suffer from what is euphemistically called "carb flu". You feel tired, the legs ache and you feel that you've got flu! This can last for a week or so, but afterwards, you'll feel a lot better and have more energy than you did before you started. If you then have your carb binge there's a strong possibility that you'll re-educate your body to enjoy carbs once more - and you're back to square one with the carb flu to look forward to again!:p

I started my diet in August last year. By February I had lost about 30lbs and I had stopped my medication in early November and haven't needed any since. By the way, in calorie terms I'm on about 2,200 calories per day.

My lipid profile is significantly better than it was this time last year, so I personally think the concept works. Hopefully it will work for you too?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome to DF! If you've lost that much weight since last Monday, you're on the right track, lady! :D :D :D You may want to keep the metformin, since its reputation is for helping with weight loss . . . and it's worked that way for me - I think I started out with about what you're taking & have now doubled that dosage, and it still curbs my appetite.

John's response is right on the money, and he's an excellent example of success with this method. His fastings now are comparable with those of a non-diabetic person, and that takes work, but it's worth the trouble. He has a good coach! heehee <waves to his wife Judy>

Do make yourself at home here, and visit often. Looking forward to getting better acquainted!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello & welcome to DF! If you've lost that much weight since last Monday, you're on the right track, lady! :D :D :D You may want to keep the metformin, since its reputation is for helping with weight loss . . . and it's worked that way for me - I think I started out with about what you're taking & have now doubled that dosage, and it still curbs my appetite.

John's response is right on the money, and he's an excellent example of success with this method. His fastings now are comparable with those of a non-diabetic person, and that takes work, but it's worth the trouble. He has a good coach! heehee <waves to his wife Judy>

Do make yourself at home here, and visit often. Looking forward to getting better acquainted!
You mean gendarme! :pout: She's a right little bully - but you're right - without her help, I'd be in trouble. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your responses. And I will definitely be spending plenty of time here on the boards. It's fantastic knowing that help and advice is just a few clicks away.
Margaret

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you very much for your responses. And I will definitely be spending plenty of time here on the boards. It's fantastic knowing that help and advice is just a few clicks away.
Margaret
Hey! I'm a Margaret too . . . Margaret Shannon. Named after my grandmother who died long before I was born. Lovely name! :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Margaret
Hi Margaret, I am also from Melbourne and just diagnose DT2.. whereabouts Melb are you in? Im in the South East side.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, Margaret. You will find the answers to your questions and more at Blood Sugar 101 And since you have heart disease, I believe it is even more important that you do some reading there because you will learn a lot about saturated fat and other things that will be very helpful to you.

We're glad you decided to join us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts