The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Elgardo. I'm 43 years old, living in Miami FL and I have been diabetic for eight years now.

I started out as a type 2, but recently my endocronologist told me that I'm more of a type 1 than a type 2, since I'm no longer insulin resistance but I just don't produce enough insulin. So this year I started a regimen of insulin therapy, where I'm injectin insulin four time a day, three shots of humalog before meal and one shot of Lantus at bed time.

Coping with this condition has been very challenging especially finding the right doctors to properly treat you, but I feel the biggest help I have gotten was my own education. I didn't really understood how to deal with my condition until recently where I have becomie more proactive with my own education.

Beign part of this forum is a way that for me to not only learn from others, but share my experience as well.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. Usually Type 2's don't change into Type 1's even if the need to use insulin. What makes a Type 1 is a positive result on a GAD 65 Antibody test. Many Type 2's use insulin, like you. Also even if you use insulin you can still be insulin resistant. In fact type 1's can be insulin resistant and also need to take drugs like Metormin to deal with this. I agree with you that education is the best thing we can do for ourselves. Understanding your Diabetic body and how it works gives you the best chance of success in managing this disease. Check out Blood Sugar 101

·
Registered
87 Posts
Glad you are here

Hi, my name is Elgardo. I'm 43 years old, living in Miami FL and I have been diabetic for eight years now.

I started out as a type 2, but recently my endocronologist told me that I'm more of a type 1 than a type 2, since I'm no longer insulin resistance but I just don't produce enough insulin. So this year I started a regimen of insulin therapy, where I'm injectin insulin four time a day, three shots of humalog before meal and one shot of Lantus at bed time.

Coping with this condition has been very challenging especially finding the right doctors to properly treat you, but I feel the biggest help I have gotten was my own education. I didn't really understood how to deal with my condition until recently where I have becomie more proactive with my own education.

Beign part of this forum is a way that for me to not only learn from others, but share my experience as well.
Hi and welcome to the site. Its good to have you here and really look forward to reading your posts.

Gene

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Elgardo. Let me iterate, type 2 patients don't turn into type 1, despite this being the explanation of your very own endo. If you require insulin, then you are an insulin-dependent type 2, NOT type 1. As jwags says, to be a type 1, you would test positive for GAD antibodies.

Read everything you can find at BloodSugar101 . . . it's the best diabetes site out here, and very easy to comprehend.

Take care & thank you for joining us. I hope you'll be able to visit often. :cool:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Elgardo, welcome! A type 2 who becomes insulin dependent and a type 1 who becomes insulin resistant are called "double diabetics". I have been type 1 since 1945, and was diagnosed with insulin resistance in 1998, so I am a double diabetic. I am basically type 1 though since my pancreas has not produced insulin for 65 years. I do take Metformin to help with my insulin resistance.

I hope you adjust to insulin and have good control. Many type 2 diabetics who eventually start using insulin wish they had started sooner, because they find they have much better control with insulin.

Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.