The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have been T1 since 1964. I live in a small town in SE Michigan where there are no support groups. So I get my support from online communities. I look forward to sharing with others.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Lizzy from Michigan: :)

Good to see you here. Since you're just over the border,
I guess your temperatures are warming up also. 'Bout time,
I'd say.

Hey, 1964. Great! I hope that you are still doing well or
reasonably so. It would be Nice to hear your experiences
and knowledge gained, as well as others.

We could use some info on the topic of pumps here, if you
are up to it. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Terrie, thanks for the welcome. Yes, I am just over the border, but it's not warming up enough for me yet. Right now it is snowing!! LOL

I am still doing well considering how we had to deal with diabetes years ago. I did have a triple by-pass done in 1997 at the age of 46, but that was also contributed to family history of heart disease. I go for check ups on the heart and carotid arteries twice a year to keep an eye on things. And I have some neuropathy in the feet and legs, but Neurotin helps so much with that. Other than that I am healthy. No eye or kidney problems. I feel I am one of the lucky ones that the bad complications haven't hit. I really would deserve them all since I have not always taken good care of myself. I have always taken my insulin like I should, but have not always eaten the right way. But now I am back on the right track and am staying on it.

I feel that now a days diabetes is so much easier to take care of. With the advance of glucose monitors, pumps and the CGMS. Plus the ability to count carbs and match the amount of insulin to them. Back in the early days we had to do the chemistry test of urine and then use the test tape. And never knew what our sugar was. Insulin delivery systems have improved sooo much. No more glass sryinges and huge needles that had to be boiled after the one shot a day.

Getting on the pump was one of the best things I have done for my care. Since my sugar levels are very unstable I can correct when needed with the push of a few buttons. And being very insulin sensitive (12-15 total units a day) I can set my basal in .025 increments. No way could this be done with Lantis or Levemir. And anytime I eat I just enter the amount of carbs and ok the amount of insulin, blus and that's it.

The next best thing I did was get the Dexcom 7. Although insurance is not paying for it yet, I felt it was something I really needed. I cannot always feel my lows coming on and I do live alone. After being out of it for hours at a time on a few occasins I knew I had to do something. Testing every hour was not even helping. This thing is great!

I better quit, I hope I didn't write too much and bore everybody:)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey There Lizzy: :)

Ya, it was 12c the day I mentioned the weather, now it is 5c. :rolleyes:
I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the weather. It's been raining here.
It finally stopped today.

I'm sorry that you needed a by-pass but Glad that you are doing Good,
yes considering the way things were back then.

Wow, you are Very sensitive to Insulin if you only take 12-15 units total.
I usually take between 35 and 40 units. I split my Lantus so it works
Good for me.

The meter has changed so many lives. Thank Goodness for that. It
may not be totally accurate but a lot better than those Clinitest tablets
and strips.

You're saying that insurance doesn't cover the CGMS? That was a
gadget I actually wanted to get so I could see my blood reads when-
ever. Yes I could certainly see you needing it if you live by yourself.
I'm Glad that you are getting Good use of your pump and your Dexcom.

You can talk as much as you like. We enjoy talking to People, hearing their stories, sharing experiences and helping,
if they need help. I'm long-winded sometimes also. :D

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Lizzy, you found us!! LOL! We both get around to the different sites don't we? Nice to see you here! I am posting my story "62 years of Type 1 Diabetes" in the "Other Subjects" forum here since it went over well on other sites. I did not know you live alone. How long has it been that way? I hope it doesn't cause you any problems with your diabetes. I am sure the pump helps you be in good control at night. See you around.

Richard

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Richard, I think the only place I haven't seen you on yet is the ADA site. I gain so much information from reading on these forums.

I have been following your life story. Very interesting I must say.

I have lived alone since December 1999. That is when my husband passed away from pancreatic cancer. After seeing him suffer so bad with it and with nothing that anyone could do for him and seeing other friends die horrific deaths through the years I can not understand how some people with diabetes feel so sorry for themselves. I have always just accepted it as a way of life. Just like brushing my teeth and getting dressed, it is just something I always take care of. Do you feel the same?

The pump has given me so much better control and now the CGMS is giving me much more security for when I have the unexpected lows or highs.

You take care Richard.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Gee Lizzy, I'm sorry to hear of your Husband passing away. You aren't
Very old, so I will presume that he was close to your age. That's
certainly heart-breaking when People die young. Now cancer is one of
the worst diseases, for sure.

I'm the same as you. I surely didn't like Diabetes but I accepted it since
I didn't have a choice. I was only 3 yrs. when dxd. as my 2 Brothers.
So it wasn't 'til I was in Grade 2 that I realized that I wasn't quite the
same as my classmates since they were allowed to eat candy and
other sweets and I wasn't. Quite a disapointment, I must say. Oh well....

I'm Glad that you are doing Well with your pump and CGMS. :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Lizzy, that is exactly the way I feel. it is a way of life and I do not remember any other life. This is it! I enjoy this way of life. I enjoy challanges and puzzles and fiinding solutions. I think diabetes has made me this way since it has always been my biggest challange. I have always found the solution to every puzzle and so have you and our good friend Terrie. Keep on keeping on Lizzy. I enjoy chatting with you!

Richard

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3rd Annual Diabetes Hot Dog Roast Potluck Picnic

I would like to extend an invitation to everyone to the picnic that I host at my home in SE Michigan. All people with diabetes and their families are invited. The last two years we have enjoyed great food and fellowship. It will take place on July 27th beginning at 3pm. All you need to bring is a dish to pass, any "Special Drinks" you might want and lawn chairs. Hot dogs, buns, condiments, ice tea, and water are provided. If interested just let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts