The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
My name is Stacey, and I came to this site searching for information, support and hopefully some great recipes for diabetics (something that would suit the palate of a black man raised on old southern Mississippi cooking). My father, age 67, was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. When I say just, I mean we just left the hospital two hours ago. His sugar level was at 477.

(A little emotional vent)

This diagnosis is very hard on us. For myself, I have watched my father all my life being this healthy, seemingly indestructible figure. His nickname is "Iron Man" among family members, friends and co-workers. He's gone his entire life never experiencing anything worse than a flu, which even that is rare. To walk into a hospital room and see my father lying in a hospital bed, wearing a gown and IV's in his arms was the most heart wrenching thing I've ever experienced. Intellectually I know that he will not be here forever, but the real truth of his mortality seemed to come crashing down on my head today. My father, my rock, my inspiration in life...the thought of him not being with me seems almost a sin.

I thank God that he has spent so many years working in the medical field. The little symptoms that most people, especially at his age, would ignore (dry mouth, frequent urination and a slight blur in his vision) raised red flags in his mind and he immediately sought care.

so anyway, I must stop before I become a blubbering fool. Thank you for reading if you got this far. :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Stacey, welcome to our community! I am sorry to hear about your father and his diagnosis. He obviously has the right attitude and should do well and be healthy soon after the adjustment period is completed. It is a shocker when this happens. I have been a diabetic for 63 years and I am healthy. I certainly think your father has many healthy years ahead of him. Good luck to both of you!

Richard

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome Stacey....

I am also sorry to hear about your father.. but with a good outlook, support and of course, proper treatment things will be just fine.

I also share in the "not so fun" of seeing your father in the hospital hooked up to every little machine.. My father was a type I for 42 yrs. and many time I have seen him in that position..

There are some good recipes on this site... There are also some wonderful cookbooks out there as well.. The one that I thought was helpful when I was first diagnosed is Diabetes cooking for Dummies lol .. it explained alot that I didn't realize and made cooking for just me a lot easier... Your dad's insurance company should also send him to an educator , which I suggest highly taken advantage of. Good Luck to you and Welcome once again. Also there are many useful threads on here and if you can NOT find something or need more help : just post !!!!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Meg, be sure to read the PM I sent to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, ideas, and warm wishes. Thank you Meg, for the book suggestion. My head has been in a tizzy trying figure out this carb counting stuff, weighing and measuring. And all this time I assumed all it took was a shot to keep things under control. I'm amazed sometimes at my ignorance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not ignorance my dear-- you had no reason before now to know about how to treat it... It with get better... I promise.. I know it is like a foreign language that just when you think you understand and comprehend it -- it too will change!!! lol!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts