The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was diagnosed with Diabetes. I was diagnosed in a somewhat odd indirect way. I had a bout of severe depression, which landed me in an ER, and ready to check myself into a mental hospital. I did not realize it at the time, but thinking back, all the symptoms for Diabetes were clearly there. I was believe it or not, with no exaggeration, drinking several gallons of water a day. I wanted to sleep, and actually referred to it as hibernation. In the hospital ER, they did blood work. The doctor came back into the room where I was and said, "did you know your diabetes is out of whack?" "Diabetes! What Diabetes? I don't have Diabetes!" When I was diagnosed a little over a year ago at age 30, with a ha1c of 11.7, I thought my world has come to an end. Here I am a medical assistant, nursing student, attending a university, helping others with their Diabetes and I have this disease that cripples me. In a years time I have been diagnosed with polyneuropathy, early stages of kidney disease, fibromyalgia, fatty liver, enlarged spleen, etc. The list goes on. I am not here to complain about the nonstop daily pain I am in at age 32, I am not here to complain about about the 2 different insulins totaling 6 daily shots, and 13 pills I consume each day. What I am here to tell you, no not you the reader, but you DIABETES, you do not own me! I will be a Nurse, I will finish school. I don't hate anything else in life DIABETES, but I hate you!
To everyone else my name is Marilyn, and I am glad to have found this site. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
When I was diagnosed with Diabetes. I was diagnosed in a somewhat odd indirect way. I had a bout of severe depression, which landed me in an ER, and ready to check myself into a mental hospital. I did not realize it at the time, but thinking back, all the symptoms for Diabetes were clearly there. I was believe it or not, with no exaggeration, drinking several gallons of water a day. I wanted to sleep, and actually referred to it as hibernation. In the hospital ER, they did blood work. The doctor came back into the room where I was and said, "did you know your diabetes is out of whack?" "Diabetes! What Diabetes? I don't have Diabetes!" When I was diagnosed a little over a year ago at age 30, with a ha1c of 11.7, I thought my world has come to an end. Here I am a medical assistant, nursing student, attending a university, helping others with their Diabetes and I have this disease that cripples me. In a years time I have been diagnosed with polyneuropathy, early stages of kidney disease, fibromyalgia, fatty liver, enlarged spleen, etc. The list goes on. I am not here to complain about the nonstop daily pain I am in at age 32, I am not here to complain about about the 2 different insulins totaling 6 daily shots, and 13 pills I consume each day. What I am here to tell you, no not you the reader, but you DIABETES, you do not own me! I will be a Nurse, I will finish school. I don't hate anything else in life DIABETES, but I hate you!
To everyone else my name is Marilyn, and I am glad to have found this site. Thanks for listening.
Hello Marilyn and welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of information on here, so read what interests you. If you can't find something do a search in the white box on the forum page. I hope you have time to visit often and take care.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yay, Marilyn! You sound like a strong-minded Missourian if I ever met one! :D

Hello & welcome to DF . . . this group has been an amazing source of strength for me, and I hope you'll find the same. It's a pleasure to meet you & I thank you for joining us. Do visit as often as your busy life allows!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to this great forum! There is lots of information and support here, though you probably can jump right in and be on the informing side of the table. Me, I'm mostly learning.

I can relate to how you found out about your diabetes. I ended up in urgent care barely able to stand, thinking I was dehydrated and weak from a week of keeping no solid food down and needed simple hydration to make things right with the world. They realized I was pretty sick when they called and I didn't respond. I was lying across 4 chairs in the waiting room, a huge water on the floor, too busy hallucinating to pay much attention.

After a urinalysis she asked me - 'Are you taking your diabetes medication?' 'My =what=?'

I learned close to zero about diabetes in the hospital. The education started when I got online, increased the font to near maximum, and googled "diabetes what can i eat?" Seriously. All I knew about diabetes was that one shouldn't eat sweets, simple carbs weren't advised, and you could lose your feet. Soon after I landed here.

Forgive the digression. The way you found out sent me down short-term memory lane. It's remarkable how quickly we can snap into gear with a diabetes dx, isn't it? It sounds as though you became a medical asst because of your diabetes and that it has been the source of positive focus via career, counseling others, etc. Talk about lemonade!

Kudos for the way you've plunged in with determination to take control!

Pull up a chair and stay awhile ...

G

·
welcome Marilyn :) wow, what a shock for you... and all those other medical issues were diagnosed close together by the sounds. I'm sure everyone here will agree 100% that diabetes doesn't own us. I personally struggled with the whole control aspect of it... and I was told early on that it's known as a 'stressful' disease. I'm not accepting that either... stress is something I don't need. I still find though that seeing odd numbers on my meter can be stressful still. Good on you for continuing with your studies. I reckon you'll make a good nurse as you'll understand the patients point of view so much better when you have your own health issues to deal with. I generally find people who have a clean bill of health don't quite understand what 'unwell' means... the worst thing they cop is a season cold or flu. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: to the forum! It's great to see how motivated you are! Keep it up, and hopefully we can be of some assistance too!

Keep on keeping on!

·
Registered
633 Posts
It is my simple opinion that you would be better off and much happier if you quit wasting your time with hate. You would be much better of making friends with your diabetes as it woill always be there 24 hours a day 7 days a week. There is noe escaping and no matter how much you hate it it will not go away. It is not worth the time or the effort.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, seeing an out of range number can be extremely discouraging, especially when you it seems you havent eaten much of anything. I know though its generally the carbs I should be avoiding, still aggravating though either way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can appreciate your opinion, I guess its all still fresh with me having diabetes, maybe one day I can become friends with it, for now though thats not the case. Thanks for your insight though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts