The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
My name is JynxGirl, and I'm new to this site.

I've been diabetic for almost 9 years now, and was recently put on insulin for some really crazy blood sugars when I fell pregnant in March.
After a miscarriage at the end of April, my blood sugar still hasn't returned to normal, and now we're playing with long and short acting insulins to try to get my numbers back to normal.

Before all of this, my diabetes was controlled by diet alone, and even then, I was able to eat like half a cake by myself (not that I did... often...) without a spike over 10.0mmol/L

Now, I have major problems if I eat 6 crackers instead of 4 or forget to eat something for more than 4 hours.

So I guess, in short, I'm here to re-educate myself, and try to get over the sense of total betrayal I have against my body...

About me? Oh! I'm the mom of a special needs little girl and am about to be married to the most wonderful man on the planet. After our miscarriage, we were told that if we want babies, we should be trying immediately to get pregnant. Until my diabetes gets back to some semblance of control, that's on hold. We own a sign language tutoring business, and recently bought a house. So stress is a huge part of my life, but that's my normal.

I can't think of anything else, but feel free to ask me questions. :D

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi from Alberta, and :welcome: to the forums!

One thing I want to caution you about - the idea that a spike not going over 10.0 is a good target ...

My dietitian tried to tell me that I was fine if I was under 10.0 - which is absolutely FALSE.

The spikes shouldn't go above 7.8 ... That's the target you should be aiming for as a max. (That being said, my own tolerance is for 6.8 as a maximum - I like my levels as healthy as possible...)

Both the International Diabetes Federation and the American College of Clinical Endocrinologists recommend a maximum for 7.8 mmol/l (140mg/dl) as a control target. The Canadian and American Diabetes associations are less stringent in their recommendations... (Most of us suspect it's due to so much of their funding coming from food companies and pharmaceutical giants...)

Glad to have you here!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I want to caution you about - the idea that a spike not going over 10.0 is a good target ...

My dietitian tried to tell me that I was fine if I was under 10.0 - which is absolutely FALSE.

The spikes shouldn't go above 7.8 ... That's the target you should be aiming for as a max. (That being said, my own tolerance is for 6.8 as a maximum - I like my levels as healthy as possible...)
Before this crazy blood sugar time, my sugars tended to stay under 8. Only when I went a little crazy on sugar did they go up to anything over that.
Thanks though! I should have mentioned that my doctor wants my range very tight. Nothing over 7.5 and nothing below 4.2. He wants my HbA1C under 7.0 before I get pregnant, which is what is recommended to every woman who walks through his doors of childbearing age. :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Most of us have learned that when our doctors and dieticians tell us to keep our bg below a certain number, that number is usually too high to keep us healthy because any time our bg rises to 6.5 or above, we can get complications like diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage), and damage to other parts of our bodies, like the kidneys, and that is only the beginning.

Not letting your bg drop below 4.2 is good advice. I really encourage you to go to Blood Sugar 101 and read the section called 'What is normal blood sugar?' Actually, I hope you will do a lot more reading than that on the site, there is some very helpful info. there for all diabetics.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gizmo, that's an awesome site! Thanks! I am going to share it with my fiance who keeps making comments about my weight and diabetes.
What a great site!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
You are more than welcome, but I can't take the credit. I only learned about the site because others here at the forum recommended it to me. These folks have helped me so much in a lot of ways, and I am most grateful to them and for the fact that this forum exists. It's a great forum.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hi everyone!
My name is JynxGirl, and I'm new to this site.

I've been diabetic for almost 9 years now, and was recently put on insulin for some really crazy blood sugars when I fell pregnant in March.
After a miscarriage at the end of April, my blood sugar still hasn't returned to normal, and now we're playing with long and short acting insulins to try to get my numbers back to normal.

Before all of this, my diabetes was controlled by diet alone, and even then, I was able to eat like half a cake by myself (not that I did... often...) without a spike over 10.0mmol/L

Now, I have major problems if I eat 6 crackers instead of 4 or forget to eat something for more than 4 hours.

So I guess, in short, I'm here to re-educate myself, and try to get over the sense of total betrayal I have against my body...

About me? Oh! I'm the mom of a special needs little girl and am about to be married to the most wonderful man on the planet. After our miscarriage, we were told that if we want babies, we should be trying immediately to get pregnant. Until my diabetes gets back to some semblance of control, that's on hold. We own a sign language tutoring business, and recently bought a house. So stress is a huge part of my life, but that's my normal.

I can't think of anything else, but feel free to ask me questions. :D
Hi JynxGirl and welcome to the site. Sounds like you are having a rough time of it right now.
I'm sure you'll find many here that will have good ideas and support for you.

Gene

1 - 8 of 8 Posts