The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

I am 61 years old, first diagnosed as Type 2 in 2000. After a lifetime of pretty much doing everything wrong when it came to my health (overweight, sedentary, smoker, etc.), when I was diagnosed I "got religion".

I started watching and controlling what I ate, I was on glipizide 5mg twice a day, I was bicycling daily. Got laid off from my techy job and out of desperation I took a job as a motorcycle mechanic... which turned out to be pretty physical.

My weight fell from 278lbs down to 232lbs (I am only 5'10, so I was still about 50 lbs overweight though). At some point along the way I was able to stop the pills completely and my blood sugar stayed around 100. I could eat pretty much anything I wanted and my weight and sugars stayed the same, normal, due to all the exercise. I was riding sometimes 50 miles in a day, rode 20 miles most days.

Winter came and I stopped bicycling, but I continued eating too much. I got laid off from the physically active mechanic job and got back into a sedentary tech job. Stopped smoking.

My weight shot up... fast forward to now. I am still not smoking, but have been laid off yet again (still unemployed and without health insurance). My weight a week ago (nekkid) was 290lbs. My blood sugar has been very high (A1C is about 11 !!), almost never getting below 220, sometimes 500 or more after eating way too many carbs, in spite of the fact that I now take 1000mg of metformin twice a day along with the glipizide 5mg twice a day.

I got into a city-sponsored program called Healthy San Francisco (which I do have to pay $600/year for, but it sure beats zero health care). My doctor there is great, and wanted to put me on insulin. I didn't want to do that and instead proposed that I make a concerted effort to lose weight and watch what I eat. He agreed, and we made a deal for me to lose 1.5lbs a week for six weeks when I will see him again.

I have cut WAY back on carbs, with a goal of 100g of carbs a day (which I have not yet achieved, but I will). For the past several days I have been eating only about 2000 calories a day and less than 200g of carbs. Lean, skinless chicken, leafy greens, still eating some fruit because I would rather die than go without fruit.

I am either walking briskly or riding my bicycle 1 or 2 hours a day.

It has been less than a week, but I have lost over 3lbs so far. I no longer go into a sugar-induced coma in the afternoon and take a nap. I have significantly more energy already.

I ran out of test strips for my meter and unfortunately they are not paid for by my health plan... so I found a good deal for some on ebay and ordered them. I do want to stay on top of it this time.

Diabetes complications: My vision still seems OK (and last year when I still had medical insurance I did have a retinopathy (sp?) test that confirmed it. I still have to get up to pee several times during the night. I have some numbness in my feet (right foot more than the left). My hands are still OK.

I am on a crusade. I intend to keep losing weight. I figure I am really about 110lbs overweight. I want to lose as much as I can at a slow rate so I can keep it off. I recall that when I was down to 232lbs (about sixty pounds less than I am right now) I felt better than I can remember feeling for a long time.

It's going to be a long journey, but unless I do this it will be a short one into the grave.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello and Welcome! I too just joined today and am finding this site helpful. Your post is inspiring. Before I joined this forum, I was getting a bit depressed. I've just turned 41 and having a high reading on my hba1c made me feel so awful. I was on a controlled diet for 2 years but I really did not take much care of what I ate. I am not very active and I don't have much energy and motivation. Your post though gave me some inspiration to try and exercise again. I noticed everytime I have a meal I get very tired and because I sleep late during weekdays and work full time with 4 kids, I sleep mostly all weekend wasting my weekends by sleeping and not spending enough time with my family. I blame it on being busy during the week. I suppose this plays a part but being a diabetic, I really do have to watch what I eat, have a good sleep and yes, lose weight. I hope I can be as motivated as you. At this stage, I am only taking half of 1 Diamicron as Metformin made me violently ill when I took it for a few days that I missed work for two days. By the way, I love your city. I visited SF a few years ago.I have relatives at Fremont. Keep up the great job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seldom been inspiring to anyone, so that's pretty cool!

I hope you will go ahead with cutting way back on carbs and doing some mild exercise. Yesterday I walked two miles, 1/2 of it was uphill. Got my heart pounding pretty good.

Ate about 1500 calories yesterday, only 102g of carbs, and I have felt more energetic than I have in the past couple years... after less than a week of doing this.

Try it just for a week and see how much better you feel!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Michael. I really enjoyed reading your history, your journey so far, and what brought you to your current place of determination. It's wonderful to get that 'click' that's the wind at our back to make lifestyle and diet changes.

I understand about the fruit! I feel the same way and prioritize it. I'm mostly staying under 100 carbs/day and half of that is fruit. I also have weight to lose and more exercise to do - and am on a similar crusade.

It has been invaluable being here. There's loads of support, information, and inspiration. I'm glad you're here - pull up a chair and stay a while, a long while :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, forgot to mention... I have not felt crushing weariness I was getting after meals, AT ALL. I believe that feeling is really tied to eating too much carbs and spiking my blood sugar.

Started this last Thursday, and have already lost 4 pounds.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Folks

I am 61 years old, first diagnosed as Type 2 in 2000. After a lifetime of pretty much doing everything wrong when it came to my health (overweight, sedentary, smoker, etc.), when I was diagnosed I "got religion".

I started watching and controlling what I ate, I was on glipizide 5mg twice a day, I was bicycling daily. Got laid off from my techy job and out of desperation I took a job as a motorcycle mechanic... which turned out to be pretty physical.

My weight fell from 278lbs down to 232lbs (I am only 5'10, so I was still about 50 lbs overweight though). At some point along the way I was able to stop the pills completely and my blood sugar stayed around 100. I could eat pretty much anything I wanted and my weight and sugars stayed the same, normal, due to all the exercise. I was riding sometimes 50 miles in a day, rode 20 miles most days.

Winter came and I stopped bicycling, but I continued eating too much. I got laid off from the physically active mechanic job and got back into a sedentary tech job. Stopped smoking.

My weight shot up... fast forward to now. I am still not smoking, but have been laid off yet again (still unemployed and without health insurance). My weight a week ago (nekkid) was 290lbs. My blood sugar has been very high (A1C is about 11 !!), almost never getting below 220, sometimes 500 or more after eating way too many carbs, in spite of the fact that I now take 1000mg of metformin twice a day along with the glipizide 5mg twice a day.

I got into a city-sponsored program called Healthy San Francisco (which I do have to pay $600/year for, but it sure beats zero health care). My doctor there is great, and wanted to put me on insulin. I didn't want to do that and instead proposed that I make a concerted effort to lose weight and watch what I eat. He agreed, and we made a deal for me to lose 1.5lbs a week for six weeks when I will see him again.

I have cut WAY back on carbs, with a goal of 100g of carbs a day (which I have not yet achieved, but I will). For the past several days I have been eating only about 2000 calories a day and less than 200g of carbs. Lean, skinless chicken, leafy greens, still eating some fruit because I would rather die than go without fruit.

I am either walking briskly or riding my bicycle 1 or 2 hours a day.

It has been less than a week, but I have lost over 3lbs so far. I no longer go into a sugar-induced coma in the afternoon and take a nap. I have significantly more energy already.

I ran out of test strips for my meter and unfortunately they are not paid for by my health plan... so I found a good deal for some on ebay and ordered them. I do want to stay on top of it this time.

Diabetes complications: My vision still seems OK (and last year when I still had medical insurance I did have a retinopathy (sp?) test that confirmed it. I still have to get up to pee several times during the night. I have some numbness in my feet (right foot more than the left). My hands are still OK.

I am on a crusade. I intend to keep losing weight. I figure I am really about 110lbs overweight. I want to lose as much as I can at a slow rate so I can keep it off. I recall that when I was down to 232lbs (about sixty pounds less than I am right now) I felt better than I can remember feeling for a long time.

It's going to be a long journey, but unless I do this it will be a short one into the grave.
Hello Michaelnel and :welcome: to Diabetes Forum! I really liked your introduction, it was well written. Now come on in and sit down and get comfortable :couch2:. There is a wealth of information on the forum so get to reading what interests you and if you can't find something, do a search. I hope you stay with us on your journey back to great health and let us know if you need something. I hope that you can visit often and take care!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Michael . . . funny you should mention your history of postprandial crushing weariness & sugar-induced coma - I just detailed my own "carb coma" in welcoming Jas to our gang. It's definitely a symptom of too many carbs in our diets! Good to hear you've regrouped & are taking this diabetes "bull" by the horns.

Be sure to eat enough to allay any hunger pangs . . . the low-carb regimen will take off the pounds, but you need to eat enough protein & fats to provide fuel for the body. Our bodies can convert protein to glucose just as well, and it's a lot healthier. Using moderate fats along with the protein will provide the sense of satiety, and won't limit your weight loss either.

If you eat to your meter, you may be able to continue enjoying your fresh fruit, but perhaps in smaller portions. Oral drugs are not the magic bullet - they work exceptionally well WITH a low-carb diet, but they can't overcome a huge carb load, if we continue to eat fast-acting carbs. Even people using insulin find it better to reduce carbs somewhat in order to prevent weight gain.

I began this journey trying to keep my carbs under 100g per day, but that is too much for me to have the safe blood glucose levels (under 140 (7.7) at all times). I began logging the carb content of everything I ate, and when my BGL began to stabilize between 90 - 130 (5-7.7), I was taking about 50g-60g per day.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was told to do about 200-250 carbs by my dietician. Well, that didn't last very long. I dropped it to 100 and then 50 and then 30. Now that I have lost all my weight I have added some organic carbs back in. But I have to watch my meter carefully. I don't like to spike much above 100-110 after meals, so it is a challenge to find the right food to eat. If I am going to eat carbs it is usually at lunch so I can exercsise them off. Breakfast and dinner tend to be lower carb meals. Lots of good info , here.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I hope you visit often. There is a ton of information and encouragement on here. We are glad you are here!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I am from the UK and it just goes to show that us Diabetics have the same issues wherever we came from (especially with weight). I struggle to understand some of the US terminology, methodology and the way you measure things. But that is probably cos we are a bit odd on this side of the Atlantic. I hope to pick it up as I go along. Anyway, it sounds like you have an excellent plan so good luck!

G

·
welcome Michael :) it's great to see you're inspired to do the right thing for you. Having diabetes can certainly can put a dampener on our mood... but we can at least give it our best shot to keep our BGLs in check. Do all you can to ward off complications. I understand the frustration re: weight too. I was 99kgs when I was diagnosed with diabetes and I was only 25yo. I have always been the largest female in my family and I think I didn't quite realise just how big I had got because I'm 5"8 so I carried my weight well (as people kept telling me). I lost 20kgs through strict diet and exercise. Then I went onto oral meds and gained 10kgs and I didn't seem to budge from that despite all my efforts. I was doing 2 hours daily (an hour of weights & cardio at gym in the morning before work, then hour power walks after work at night). I watched my diet and my weight didn't budge at all. I got so frustrated. Then I started getting very sick and stopped exercising and haven't really done much since. The good thing is that my weight hasn't gone up at least, even now that I'm on insulin full time. Keep us posted on how you're doing, you'll find lots of support, etc. here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can I ask a question. In the UK, we measure blood sugar in mml/l but in the US you seem to use a different scale with higher numbers. What is it, and how does it convert?

G

·
Can I ask a question. In the UK, we measure blood sugar in mml/l but in the US you seem to use a different scale with higher numbers. What is it, and how does it convert?
the magic number is 18. To get the USA figure you just x18. To convert to mmoL you just /18. That's the easiest explanation. I'm sure someone else can give you a more technical explanation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts