The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone! I'm 27 years old and from the south (I miss eating beignets! :p)

Having this disease is nothing new to my family; however, the type of diabeties that I have (Type 1) is.

I was diagnosed as being Type II (under the assumption that it is the diagnosis many doctors place you on if you are found with this disease in adulthood); however, with getting informed by a wonderful person online (from Canada), I took the advice of getting tested to find out the amount of insulin my body was making (as the medications, proper eating habits, and PLENTY of exercise were NOT working).

I'd like to reiterate that it's important to get tested for your insulin levels if the medications are failing you with a proper diet and exercise regimen.

I wish everyone lots of success and health in combating this dilemma.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Suga . . . glad to have you join us.

It does seem awfully casual of our docs to not routinely order the GAD & c-peptide tests to complete the diagnostics of diabetes. Some of our members have been diagnosed type 1 on into their 40s & 50s, and we have several LADAs, some of whom had to fight tooth & nail to get the determining tests done. These are the things that you just can't tell by looking - a person's age, weight or family history are just not the best markers to go by - the blood test won't lie, so why not get it done to begin with?

Do make yourself at home here - we're looking forward to getting better acquainted. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome, and that's very good advice. I'm planning on asking my doc to order those tests. It can avoid a lot of hurt in the future.
I think a lot of it hearkens back to the late 60's when I was in Pharmacy School. The common designations for D back then;

Junior Onset D (now known as Type-I)
Maturity Onset D (now known as Type-II)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Too Much Suga! :welcome:

Yeah, I was horrified that my HMO simply diagnoses "diabetes, presumed Type 2" or even just "diabetes," no type designated!

I had to demand tests to confirm my type -- it seems I am, indeed Type 2 -- with some 1-ish quirks. I may re-check it at a later date.

Very glad you found us!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been perusing a few of the postings, and everyone seem so genuine in any responses given--that's awesome!
There's one pessimistic fella trolling...but, I'll do like most of you have, and just ignore. LOL! Too bad his/her posts can't be removed. :-(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts