The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a 32 yo American living in Tokyo. I was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes (at least that is what the doc thinks). My blood sugar level fluctuates, I am often fatigued after high-carb meals, and I have skin symptoms. Any others in Japan?

SG

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Simpleguy :) I'm not aware of anyone else in Japan here... although there could be? It's a very multicultural forum. Being in Japan, you've probably been eating japanese rice which I think would be a high GI carb and make your BGLs spike and then crash suddenly... this would make you feel aweful. Try and reduce your carb intake and if eating carbs, find carbs that are low GI instead of high GI (refer Glycemic Index) as low GI gives you sustained energy and doesn't cause the yucky spikes that make you feel bad. But having small portions is equally important otherwise you run risk of high BGLs continuously that will make you feel bad too. Maybe try more protein and fats in your diet in place of carbs, or very minimal carbs... like others on this forum do. I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Simpleguy. Welcome to the forum. I've also recently been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. The forum has been a great source of information for me. I'm located in Seoul and getting good info in English is difficult. I imagine you might face the same in Tokyo as well as the challenge of eating low carb in a country filled with rice and noodles! :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Simpleguy. Welcome to the forum. I've also recently been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. The forum has been a great source of information for me. I'm located in Seoul and getting good info in English is difficult. I imagine you might face the same in Tokyo as well as the challenge of eating low carb in a country filled with rice and noodles! :eek:
Hi gwoman, I can imagine. Luckily Japan does have a lot of fresh produce if you are willing to cook for yourself. And considering I am the bestest vegan chef in the world I am doing ok ;)

I have been a vegan for a long time. I started having symptoms a couple years ago and was finally able to narrow it down to prediabetes earlier this year. Since then I have been on a strict vegan diet, no high-GI carbs, no fats, etc. and it has helped a lot. I actually feel like I have recovered for the most part.

Being 32 in Tokyo and sick is not fun!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have been a vegan for a long time. I started having symptoms a couple years ago and was finally able to narrow it down to prediabetes earlier this year. Since then I have been on a strict vegan diet, no high-GI carbs, no fats, etc. and it has helped a lot. I actually feel like I have recovered for the most part.
Hi Simple...wow you sound like you'll have this licked really soon. Sounds like you treat your body like a temple and good for you. I do admire people with such self control. Unfortunately I struggle with that lol. Hope all works out for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts