The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Tim from Portsmouth UK. Type 1 for 16 years I've had some good times and bad times with this challenging condition...it can be a lonley place tackling it sometimes and its so invisible to others too. It's certainly not always easy to discuss and whist people ask to understand about it they glaze over in a minute which either says alot about my presentational style or that it is complex to understand for the brightest of folk. My ex mother in law always used to ask if I was better yet. . .bless her she didn't grasp that there wasn't a cure at all.

Sent from my Nexus One using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Tim. When our friends and relatives ask about diabetes, they really don't want to know the details. It is about the same thing as asking an aquaintance "How are you?" when they pass on the street. They really don't want to know the answer, but it's polite to ask. That's one of the good things about this forum, everyone is happy to listen to anything you have to say on the subject. Glad you found us and welcome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right of course Gizmo it is a difficult topic of discussion even with those closet to us. It really breaks down to either a good day or bad day or run of days....I have struggled talking about it over the years but there is a clear need to we all must have times where we don't know why our bg is off the scale or that surprise hypo that leaves one feeling vulnerable and scared...I have lots to ask and share and think this is a great forum.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Tim! And welcome.

I hear you loud and clear. I don't bother talking about diabetes unless the person has it or in a forum like this one. It's a lonely disease! Thank goodness for a place like this :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't know how good that has made me feel just to know that someone else understands Crikey I'm a little emotional (and I'm not prone to that generally) - thank-you :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
DH & I have several type 2 relatives. All were diagnosed as borderline, so their bgs weren't that high to start with. But they don't want to listen to anything DH & I have to say about D, they are determined they will eat the same way they always have. When I talked to my sister-in-law about cutting down on carbs (she has gained 100 pounds in a short time and weighs at least 300 now -- maybe more), she said if her bg goes too high, her doc will just increase her meds. Later that day she told me her doc had just doubled her meds (Again!). So, often you can't even talk about it with people who do have D.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey Tim? That's a really sweet user name you have . . . pun intended! ;)

Happy to have you with us where we can let down our hair & others' eyes don't glaze over. It's so uplifting to have friends who KNOW, and whose advice/suggestions/commiserations are totally on target! Thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aha yes you spotted that I'm rubbish at user names :) maybe I shoulda betrayed my love of Motown and used sweet_talkin_guy?
Thank-you for your kind welcome I think this forum is great for many reasons ...health carers adopt a very clinical / medical model in treating those of us with diabetes and its complications I have found. emotional support and understanding when things are going wrong is difficult to find and sometimes that's all we need when we hit a psychological wall...I admit that some times I feel defeated by this condition and other times I am strong as an ox (although not as smelly as one)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Tim, welcome! You are an experienced type 1 diabetic. Do you use a pump? I know several people in the UK who pump insulin. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. My pumping started in 2007 and has given me the best control I have ever had.

Ask all the questions you want, there are several type 1 diabetics here.

Richard

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Richard you are indeed an inspiration - my confidence has been rattled a little recently with development of cataracts and retinopathy my bg control has not been perfect over the last few years but then its not been really bad either. Tighter control has resulted in more frequent hypos I'm on a basal bolus regiem and work variable shifts with varying levels of physical activity which presents its own challenges. I've been considering a pump but don't know a great deal about them or anyone who uses one. I guess like all of us I want to be able to achieve the best control I can to avoid or delay complications and to be around and be able to see my grandchildren :)
I'm seeing my doc tomorrow and am going to ask about a pump I shall let you know how I go

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Ask all the questions you want about pumping, several members here use pumps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts