The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good evening, I introduce myself and greet the forum, I am from New Mexico and my wife has type 2 diabetes and is using cannabis oil drops, has anyone else used them? and do they work for you?

·
Super Moderator
9,632 Posts
Hello bobbyc, welcome to the forum.

I take it that you are not diabetic, but your wife is. I applaud your support, having a supportive spouse is one of the best benefits a diabetic can have.

I personally have not used or researched using cannabis or hemp oil products at all, but I am hearing of some amazing claims for benefits in regards to aches and pains caused by inflammatory and cancer issues. There may be tons of other benefits if I would only search. Maybe someone here can be more help from personal experiences.

Is she using the drops for blood sugar control, pain management, other symptom of diabetes? And is she seeing any results?

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Hi, bobby! I'll echo mbuster's welcome to our forum.

I recall a couple of threads about cannabis and marijuana use on this site; you can find them by going to the search bar (near the top of the page on the Web version of this site) and searching for marijuana . Some of the threads are 7-8 years old now, but without knowing just how your wife is using cannabis oil, it may be worth reading the ones of particular interest to both of you.

Please read them carefully. Many things can affect the conclusion of a medical study:
  • whether the study was performed on humans or animals
  • the number of participants (bigger is better)
  • how well the participants in the study represent the general population (for example, was the study conducted in one country or among people with one defining characteristic like race?)
  • not accounting for coincidental factors that could affect the outcome (correlation is not causation)
  • the sponsor of the study (which certainly is hoping for a conclusion beneficial to them though that doesn't always happen)
I did a non-exhaustive Web search for cannabis oil and diabetes. There have been several studies, but many are flawed. For instance, cannabis oil is not the same as a baggie of pot. Cannabis oil typically is refined using a defined process; pot can come from different varieties of cannabis sativa and may contain other chemical compounds (herbicides, adulterants, etc.). Studies that center on marijuana users may come to very different conclusions than ones which center on users of just cannabis oil.

The primary benefits of CBD oil seem to be in addressing the side effects of diabetes like the pain of neuropathy. There are indications that cannabis oil influences the body in ways that lower the risks or effects of diabetes, like reducing the pressure in the eye and, therefore, the risk of glaucoma, or acting as a vasodilator, which aids in circulation, postponing or reducing the effects of neuropathy.

There is anecdotal evidence that marijuana affects metabolism (the "munchies") and lowers blood glucose levels but I didn't see studies that clarified whether cannabis oil was the effective ingredient that does this. And anecdotal evidence is no match for a controlled medical study (there are nowhere near enough of those).

So how is your wife using the cannabis oil? Is she treating side effects of her diabetes or treating the condition? I'm interested to see if other posters here have used cannabis oil (even for incidental joint pain) and can relate their experiences.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello good evening, I introduce myself and greet the forum, I am from New Mexico and my wife has type 2 diabetes and is using cannabis oil drops, has anyone else used them? and do they work for you?
HI and Welcome. 🌿 🌷 🌿

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using them for some time for pain treatment, I am good with it, didn't notice any side effects, but this is my case, I don't know how other people's reaction would be. It's to ask a doctor if she is suffering from diabetes, to be sure that there will be no negative effects from it. Also, I smoke hash Canada, which also helps me with my pain, and it's a good method of relaxation as well, from the physical and mental point of view, which is very tough for people like we are.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
AndreaBur, thanks for relating your experience -- and welcome to our site! It would be really nice if you popped into our New Member Introductions forum and told us a little about yourself and what brought you here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts