The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 33 year old and newly diagnosed with Type II. I am really depressed. All happened coz of my poor eating habits, poor lifestyle (Heavy drinking, heavy smoking etc.). To add on to it, I also have high TC, TG and LDL. Now I have to leave with it for the entire life. My doctor prescribed me Lantas 16 units (evening) and Glimipiride + Metformin combination (Twice daily) and Atorvastatin..

I hate myself for being so careless.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am 33 year old and newly diagnosed with Type II. I am really depressed. All happened coz of my poor eating habits, poor lifestyle (Heavy drinking, heavy smoking etc.). To add on to it, I also have high TC, TG and LDL. Now I have to leave with it for the entire life. My doctor prescribed me Lantas 16 units (evening) and Glimipiride + Metformin combination (Twice daily) and Atorvastatin..

Welcome deepak, glad you found us. We are all here to help each other as much as possible. There are so many people on this forum that are a wealth of information that can help you learn to manage your disease. I hope you will visit often and feel free to ask questions and participate as you learn to manage your way to better health. Many diabetics live very full and healthy lives.

First of all, stop hating yourself! Your poor dietary habits are not the *cause* of your diabetes. They are most certainly making it worse, but you can not eat yourself into being diabetic. If that were true, everyone that is overweight or has bad eating habits would be diabetic....and that is not the case. Many times, with good eating habits (for a diabetic), losing some weight if you need to, and regular exercise will bring your blood sugar into control and may even decrease the amount of medication that you will need. It's up to you to turn that self-hatred into a new determination to get yourself as healthy as possible.

I hope that your doctor has seen to it that you see a good diabetes educator that will help you learn good diet choices for a diabetic. It is not just enough to stay away from "sweet food". Controlling your intake of carbohydrates is essential to good blood glucose control.

Regular testing of your blood sugar is very important. You should have a home meter (especially since you are taking insulin and oral drugs that stimulate your pancreas).

Tell us a little more about yourself and anything that we can help you with so we can help you most. What was your A1C or blood sugar when you were tested? What can we help you with as far as making dietary changes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the motivating comments. I am from Bangalore, India. I am a pharmacist specialized in Pharmacology and work as a Project Manager in Clinical Research Company.
I started taking medication since yesterday. Of course i also purchased Glucometer to monitor my blood glucose. You are right people who are obese and have poor food habits need not be diabetic. I am more prone since I have acquired it genetically. Knowing the facts i should have been more careful. My dad developed diabetes at the age of 60 and i develped at the age of 33.
Anyways thanks for all your comments once again. I will try to be active in this forum and share my experiences.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops. Missed to pass on few more info.

My A1C was 10%, Fasting BG was 260 and Post Prandial BG was 457. Can you please let me know for anything specific precautions i need to take apart from Medicine diet and exercise which i may not be aware off

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Deepak. Your doc has got you off to a good start with the insulin & meds prescribed, and Pam has already said everything I could say. I don't think there's anything more to cover here, except to emphasize that you did not cause this, and the self-hatred is a waste of good energy which can be better applied to controlling your disorder. Get your diet in order by limiting all the rice, bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. Be conscientious in taking your meds and your insulin, and you should see your blood sugars as well as your lipids profile dropping like a rock.

Take care & visit us often!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Oops. Missed to pass on few more info.

My A1C was 10%, Fasting BG was 260 and Post Prandial BG was 457. Can you please let me know for anything specific precautions i need to take apart from Medicine diet and exercise which i may not be aware off
One thing I might suggest if you haven't already done so is to have your eyes checked. Diabetics should have an eye exam at least once a year to assess for any possible eye damage.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Welcome to Diabetes Forum! I am glad you found the forum, hopefully we can cheer you up and and help lift the depression. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Heavy drinking and smoking did not cause you to have diabetes. You are now taking some medication that will help you with your glucose readings and cholesterol. Try and pay close attention to how many carbs you are eating. I hope you have time to visit often! Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing I might suggest if you haven't already done so is to have your eyes checked. Diabetics should have an eye exam at least once a year to assess for any possible eye damage.
Yes onaughmae I have an eye examination scheduled for the next week. Will update you guys on the progress soon!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to Diabetes Forum! I am glad you found the forum, hopefully we can cheer you up and and help lift the depression. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Heavy drinking and smoking did not cause you to have diabetes. You are now taking some medication that will help you with your glucose readings and cholesterol. Try and pay close attention to how many carbs you are eating. I hope you have time to visit often! Keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks for the motivational comments breezeonby. Apart from writing down in the book how many carbs i consumed in a day can you please suggest some other easy method to keep an account of carbs consumed per day??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts