The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
My Name is Annie. I would appreciate any suggestions on how I can get on track. I just had a 3 day hospital stay that was caused by A Fib, I apologize if I pronounced that wrong. I was told my heart was out of rhythm. I have to admit that I have been in denial about my diabetes. I just hope it is not too late for me to do what I need to do to keep from dying. My blood count has been running on the high side since I came home. I guess they have been running high for awhile. I was not testing on a regular basis. It is late at night, I need help and do not know where to turn. I am losing weight, very slowly. I have changed the way I eat, but I do not know what I am doing. I am going to get help as soon as I can get in to see my doctor, but I want to know what can I do now. My appointment is a few days away and my blood sugar is 347 without me eating or drinking anything. I am obese, I used to say I was over weight, but that was more denial. I am obese! I am losing , but very slowly, I get depressed very easily. I need some advice from someone that has been there and can stir me in the right direction. Thank you, Annie50

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Annie: :)

So you are a Type 2, obese(Good that you are able to admit it), have lost some weight(Good Job), hopefully out of denial(that's a killer).

You didn't say what meds. you are on, how long you have been a diabetic.

You must test your sugars, you must consume smaller portions of food, when your sugars are under 200mg/dl you need to exercise, you should drink your daily dose of water, you should take your meds. religiously(even if they need a change), maybe Byetta would work better for you, you need to get above your depression...whether if be of your own doing and humour or with meds. and bio-feedback, you need to find something positive in your Life to give you strength, you need a Personal hand or friend to help motivate you to want to learn about Diabetes and experience how you can know what your body wants and needs just by the essence of your being.

Tonight's 347 is no different than any other night. Pick out any of the above to help you.

Annie said:
I need some advice from someone that has been there and can stir me in the right direction. Thank you, Annie50
Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you meant by someone who's been there.
I was in a 3 day Coma with a BSL of over 1200. Where the Doctors told my Parents that I wasn't going to make it. Do I qualify?? ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Terrie
Good Morning, Thank You for your response. Wow, Thank God your ok, and pulled through. I will certainly take your advice. I am testing more now. I just tested before eating or drinking anything this morning and it is at 255. I feel like I am starving, but I am not going to eat a lot. I am on Actos, Coreg, and Aspirin. Also take Celery seed extract pill to help the sciatic nerve in my left leg, and I have started taking a Red Rice Yeast pill to help lower my cholesterol. I think I misspelled that, but Thank You and I look forward to any advice or suggestions you may have. And YES! You Qualify!
Annie

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
:D Hellooo Annie:

Good to see Ya! Thank you. That over 1200 blood sugar happened when I was 19. Needless to say, I've never forgotten to take my morning shots again. :)

Thank you for testing more, etc. It doesn't matter what the meter says at this point(although some normal numbers would be Nice). I know it can be depressing when you see high numbers but the main thing is to keep track of them and make a treatment plan that hopefully you can stick to most of the time. If you stay by that plan you will eventually see your numbers become lower and balance out more. You will have the occasional high or low afterwards. That's normal. Many things affect a Diabetic's sugar level. Some we can control, some we cannot. The main thing is to stay grounded and to not give up.

Your stomach is just complaining. :rolleyes: It has been stretched from eating too much. It will take a while for your stomach to shrink to near normal size. Yes, it is painful but worth it. Just remember...you're not starving when you eat moderate amounts of food.

Sometimes when I feel hunger pangs starting, I don't eat anything for a Good half hour. It makes me think of all the poor People who are starving in the 3rd world countries. Doing that makes me feel better and gives me more determination to keep my own Life right, believe or not.

Ouchie!! You have sciatic nerve pain? :( An RN accidently hit that nerve with a 2" hypodermic when she was giving me a gold shot. Lordie! Lordie! I couldn't move for about 2 hours. Does that celery seed pill help much? I hope that you feel better. YW!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Terrie
Good to hear from you. When I read about what happened to you with the needle, OMG, that is just terrible. I really believe that the Celery Seed Extract pills are working. I was able to walk with out pain for about 4 days. But when I was admitted to the hospital I didn't take my pills with me. I am back to square one. The pain is back and I am back to using a cane to walk. You are so right about those high numbers, I just want to test and see them at least go down a little bit. I have changed the way I eat, I eat smaller portions, and I never saw so much wheat grain in my life. I think everything has a twin in wheat grain. I know it just seems that way to me. I am trying to drink more water, I get so nausea to my stomach. I eat ice, I used to eat about a bag of ice a day, then I went and broke my bottom dentures and oh, boy am I misarable. That is another thing, I can't really eat certain foods, because I can't chew them. I know I will do much better when I get my teeth fixed. It seemd to be taking forever.
Ok, I guess I better go continue trying to finish this cup of water before morning comes. LOL- Thanks for listening to me
Annie50

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Annie: :)

You aren't a Night Hawk are you? :D

Gee whiz, that's too bad about your dentures. That would be a royal pain alright. I do hope that you will be getting them back soon.

That's a Good idea about eating ice chips sometimes(if you can stand the cold)instead of drinking water. Why didn't you think of that? :D

Nausea is a normal symptom of high blood sugars unfortunately. That's Good to hear that you are eating smaller portions. Are you able to exercise also?

In order to use the sugar in your blood stream, exercise is a must do. Exercise opens up the cells in your body so they will accept the sugar from your bloodstream. The cells need to use this sugar for energy so the body can function properly plus lower your blood sugar.

Even 10 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day, 4 or 5 times a week. And you don't need any fancy machines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Good Morning Terrie, How are you doing today? I feel like a new person this morning. I just tested at 9:39am to a reading of 183- Whoo Hooo, I am so glad to finally see them coming down. Thank you so much for listening to me vent these last few days. I have another question that I just know (wink) you will be able to answer. Ok, Here goes, When I exercise, should I exercise before I eat or after I eat? And does it matter? At the time I do 10 minutes of peddling before I have to take a break. I am looking forward to the day that I can push through the pain and do 15 minutes. But I started out at 3 minutes so I am giving myself time. I am working on a Birthday Picture Book for one of my grand daughters. I feel good enough to actually make some progress today. I have been feeling so sluggish lately. I know I have to eat, but I am so afraid of eating something that is going to cause my BSL to skyrocket again. How does one pancake, and one egg with a 8 oz glass of water sound? I can't wait until I can get a menu together so every day is not so much of an hassle trying to figure out what to eat. Ok, I hope you have a wonderful, great day. Talk to you soon. Annie50

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hellooo Annie: :D

I'm Happy to hear that your sugar is lower and your feeling better. As far as exercising, it differs with everyone. So you have to experiment with exercise and check your sugars before and after each session for the first while.

For myself, I can exercise most anytime since my sugars are normally in the Good range. For many Diabetics, if their sugars are higher their sugars seem to continue to climb when they exercise. You would have to test this out on yourself. If you are in this catagory, then you would exercise when your sugars are below 240.

That's a Real improvement from 3 minutes to 10. :) Yes, take your time. Exercise is supposed to be enjoyable not painful.

Yes, a pancake(1 4" pancake is about 18 grams), and egg(usually 1 gram) is Fine. I don't eat eggs much. Maybe 8 a year. When I get a craving for them, I make a 2 egg omlette with a splash of milk, 1 slice of cut up onion, 1 slice of green pepper(diced), 3 olives(sliced), a few pieces of canned mushrooms, 1 piece of bacon (broken up), 1 slice of cheese melted on top. The cheese does add a few extra grams. (Oh and I wipe the frying pan with extra virgin olive oil before I fry anything).

Plus 4 strawberries or 1 piece of cantelope or 1/2 cup blueberries or 1 kiwi or 10 red seedless grapes or a bose pear, etc. and a coffee. I do not eat three larger meals a day, I usually eat 4-6 small meals so my sugars stay in a Good range usually. To me, a cherry yogurt, a few crackers, 3 cherry tomatoes, a tablespoon of peanut butter with a glass of water is a meal. A Person who is moderate-Very active would of course have to consume more for energy.

What kind of picture book is it? I'm sure your GrandDaughter will love it. How old is she? I bought a book of memories for my Daughter that I need to get at. Thanks for reminding me. :D Thanks, Have a Good night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good Morning Terrie
Nice to hear from you. I am 202 this morning. Now I just have to figure out what to eat. I have been doing a lot of reading on diabetic information. The book I am making for my grand daughter is a picture book of pictures from the day she was born until now. The only delimma I am having is I took so many pictures that it is so hard to decide. My daughter just sent me a video of my little grand daughter that is 9 months old. She named it Cassidy gets her driving permit. It is so cute. A lot of shots of her behind the wheel trying to drive already. Well that's a good way to start my day. I am going to head out to Walmart to get some supplies. I have quite a few projects going on at the same time. Plus I really need to re vamp my web site. It has been up and running for 2 months and it is not doing that well. I am giving it at least 6 months. It is a Virtual Shopping Mall. I am still learning how to do this. I like working on my PC, so if this does not pan out, I will be doing something else in 6 months. I like to keep busy, and always looking for a way to make an income. But I want to enjoy what ever I do. I love taking pictures. I took a picture of my dinner last night to send it to my sister. If you don't mind me asking, how old is your daughter? I know she will love the book of memories. I wish I had more pictures and memories from my childhood. I am making sure that all my grand children have plenty of pictures and videos. They are priceless. You have a wonderful, fantastic day. I will talk to you again soon.

Annie50

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Annie:

I was wondering why your Dr. put you on Actos instead of Metformin. Actos causes a Person to gain weight. I'm not sure if that is true with all Diabetics. Since you are seeing him soon make sure that he knows that your sugars have been high while using it. Take your meter.

That's a Wonderful idea of making the picture book. I'm sure you are having Fun with that. Okay except for having to make your brain ache about which pictures to use. Ha! I can imagine how cute she is in the video. I like her name by the way. You're Very Lucky.

I'm still kicking myself since everyone always expected pictures of our Kids like other Families a Friends I usually only got one set since I never knew how they would turn out. I always figured I'd get them redone but usually never did. So now I'm going to go through all my negatives then off to Costco(I think they are 15 cents each to get the 35mm done)and get a bunch done. My Daughter has been waiting some time for her "memories" book.

Nope, I don't mind. My Daughter is 22 and my Son is 26. :eek: How did they get that old?? :D I tease them occasionally about getting their old-age pension soon. ;) And I still make sure that they eat most of their veggies. They're always our "Kids", eh?

Well certainly. Two months is nothing for a site. neither is 6 months actually. It takes time, energy, much thought, enjoyment of People, a sense of humour, and passion about the issue(s) of the Forum and patience. Just your normal stuff.

You took a picture of your supper?? Okay...you're either really desperate to satisfy your love of photography or you have no nice scenery or animals around there. That's hilarious. :D I took a photo of a bowl of frozen peas once. But that was because a 1/2" by 1" piece of metal came with the peas. :rolleyes:I hope it fell off their machine and they had to pay lots to replace it. :p

Have a Great day Annie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Terrie

How are you doing. I was laughing so hard while reading your response to my taking a picture of my dinner. If you only knew.
My family accuses me of taking pictures of everything. I guess I really do. I have been taking pictures since I was 15 years old.
I won second place in a photography contest some years ago.
I just love taking pictures. Wow, I hope no one got hurt when you found that piece of metal in the food. What did they say about it? I went to the mall today to get some catalogs to help my website along. My oldest sister bought a refridgerator freezer from my website yesterday. I just got approved for kodak. You sound like you know about this, are you familiar with working as a affiliate? I am going to redo the whole site after I get back from my grand daughters birthday party.
I ate some seafood salad aroud 7pm tonight. I am actually looking forward to testing tonight. I am glad my doctors appt is tomorrow.
I remember that the metformin used to cause me to stay nausea all the time, and they reduced it until I was off of it. But you say nausea is one of the symtoms of having high numbers? I am thinking maybe it was just the high numbers, my diabetes being out of control that was causing the nausea. I will sure inquire about that tomorrow. matter of fact I better make me a list to take with me. I already have a lot of questions for her tomorrow.
You have a wonderful night, I will talk to you again soon. I would love to share some of my pictures with you one day- if you don't mind. I love sharing my pictures. Ok, good night Annie50

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Annie: :)

Annie said:
How are you doing.
Oh a lot of pain this morning. Took a bunch of pills and was running most of the day. Thanks for asking.

Annie said:
I was laughing so hard while reading your response to my taking a picture of my dinner. If you only knew.
I believe I do know. We have one of you in our Family. It?s called my Sister. Her GrandKids could move 1/60 of a millimeter and she?d have to take yet another picture. :rolleyes: Then she sends ALL the reprints to me. I have more pictures of her GrandKids than I have of my Kids. Okay granted, I gave my photos to Friends and Family.

Hey, Congrats on winning the photography prize. That?s a Biggie!(unless of course there were only 2 People who entered photos). :D j/k What was your winning picture of? What did you win? Money? :D

Yes, we?d love to see some of your favourite pictures. The "Photo Gallery" is in the ?Other Subjects? section as you know.

Nausea and gasey(sp)feeling is a common side-effect of Metformin but it usually gets better or goes away in about 3 mths.

Yes, nausea and then vomiting is the normal progress when your sugars get too high. That's when you are in DKA. Then Coma.

After I changed Insulins many years ago, I didn?t get nausea anymore if I had the occasional high. Some People(me)also get nausea when they get the occasional low. I don't remember if I had that symptom when I was low before I changed Insulins.

?They? didn?t say anything about the piece of metal in the bag of peas. I forgot about it. :mad: I still have the picture somewhere though. :D

I wish you much Luck with your site. Geez, do you sell cars on it also. :eek:

Also Good Luck at your Dr.'s appointment. That's on the 25th right? Yes, ask lots of questions. Make her work for her money. Are you seeing your Dietician too? I hope so. Ask her a few questions. They don't get paid as much. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
numbers too high

I too need help with lowering my numbers, when i test sometimes, the meters says 'high', i know that is over 600 and its really scary can someone give some suggestions

·
Registered
716 Posts
newface said:
I too need help with lowering my numbers, when i test sometimes, the meters says 'high', i know that is over 600 and its really scary can someone give some suggestions
Hi NewFace, I can't give you much advice. Not sure if your type 1 or 2 age ect.... Can tell you what I do. I am T2 53 know for 6 months. Really watching my carbs. Went from 185 to 168 and at 6'2" I am looking pretty lean. When I am high like right now I hit the bike for exercise I was 7.3 (132) so I hit the bike for 15 minutes and tested now I am at 7.5 so I am going for a real bike ride for half hour. Big thing is exercise adjust your carb and sugar intact and up the protein to compensate for exercise.

BEEFY is somewhat of an expert on the exercise. I know I am slowly using him as a resource as I try to level my sugar between 5 & 7.

·
Registered
930 Posts
06-20-2008, 22:29

Do you realize that this was posted on 06-20-2008, 22:29? Don't expect any of the original posters to respond!

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
BEEFY is somewhat of an expert on the exercise. I know I am slowly using him as a resource as I try to level my sugar between 5 & 7.
I'm hoping reading his posts will raise my exercise stamina.

·
Registered
11 Posts
high numbers

I am T2 42, have been losing a lot of weight recently without trying. eating a lot too I really need to learn how to control my diet, I feel so hungry all the time. I am 5'8" presently 175 lbs. I have been oplanning to start exercising for months, but havent found the time to get to i. have the bike hardly use it

Hi NewFace, I can't give you much advice. Not sure if your type 1 or 2 age ect.... Can tell you what I do. I am T2 53 know for 6 months. Really watching my carbs. Went from 185 to 168 and at 6'2" I am looking pretty lean. When I am high like right now I hit the bike for exercise I was 7.3 (132) so I hit the bike for 15 minutes and tested now I am at 7.5 so I am going for a real bike ride for half hour. Big thing is exercise adjust your carb and sugar intact and up the protein to compensate for exercise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts