The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Mohamed. I am a Type II diabetic since 2006. I have been on Metformin 500mg 3 times a day as well as Gliclazide 80mg 2 times a day.

However since Jan 2010, I no longer take any medication and control my diabetes with diet.

I am interested in your experiences in controlling your diabetes. I think we can learn a lot and help each other.

Look forward to hearing from you all!

ukhomoeopath

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi, my name is Mohamed. I am a Type II diabetic since 2006. I have been on Metformin 500mg 3 times a day as well as Gliclazide 80mg 2 times a day.

However since Jan 2010, I no longer take any medication and control my diabetes with diet.

I am interested in your experiences in controlling your diabetes. I think we can learn a lot and help each other.

ukhomoeopath
Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum! Its always good to hear from more diabetics and how they are managing their diabetes. Sounds like you are doing a great job! I look forward to getting to know and hope you come around often. Feel free to offer any advice you have to people and dont hesitate to ask any questions. We are a friendly bunch and love to help each other out :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

ukhomoeopath
Welcome to Diabetes Forum! I control my diabetes with insulin, Actos and Glipizide. I was able to control my diabetes for 5 years after my diagnosis with Glipizide and diet and exercise. I then started having very blurry vision and headaches and my blood glucose readings were in the 300's, I then needed to be on insulin. I hope that you visit often!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum! Its always good to hear from more diabetics and how they are managing their diabetes. Sounds like you are doing a great job! I look forward to getting to know and hope you come around often. Feel free to offer any advice you have to people and dont hesitate to ask any questions. We are a friendly bunch and love to help each other out :)
Hello
Can you tell me if you also use diet to control your diabetes or just the medication.
I was on medication but changed my diet and detoxed my body. From Jan this year, I no longer take medication and only control through diet.
I feel so much better for it

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hello
Can you tell me if you also use diet to control your diabetes or just the medication.
I was on medication but changed my diet and detoxed my body. From Jan this year, I no longer take medication and only control through diet.
I feel so much better for it
I use metformin and I also take insulin. I have to take insulin now because I have lost most of my beta cell function and don't produce enough insulin anymore. I also follow a fairly low carb diet. Not as low as I used to...since I have been on insulin I have been able to add a few more carbs to my diet and still be in good control. I avoid most foods containing high fructose corn syrup, I rarely eat "real" sugar, although I do use a little of it on occasion. I avoid simple carbs such as white bread, white rice, white potatoes, etc. I stick to mostly protein, some healthy dietary fats, whole grains and the more complex carbs. I eat a lot of vegetables, seafood, and some fresh fruits. I do have to limit the fresh fruit though. Some fruits I find that I cant eat at all...it just spikes me too high.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
medication

I am sorry to hear you guys are on insulin. I was told in Feb this year by my doctor that she may have to increase my medication ( the tablets) and maybe later put me on insulin. It was all a matter of fact like of talk. As if that was the norm and I should expect it. She said diabetes is forever.
So I just smiled and left. My HbA1c was 9.3 and FBS was 9.5 in May 2009, when I went to her in Feb 2010, HbA1c was 7.4 and FBS 6.2.

I asked her if she wanted to know how I was able to control it and she said ok. When I mentioned I used diet, she just said ok (as if to say, I've heard it all before). I dared not mention I took homeopathic remedies too, just in case she flipped :)

In May , my HbA1c was 6.5 and FBS 5.3. I havent seen her yet, as we have a few doctors at our surgery, so it will be interesting to see what she says.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thats awesome that you have been able to control it as you have. Unfortunately, it is true that many diabetics do eventually need insulin. But not all of them, many are able to control with diet, exercise, and pills for their entire lives. I dont mind taking insulin. At this point, I need it to survive. It really isnt a bad thing. Its just something you have to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats awesome that you have been able to control it as you have. Unfortunately, it is true that many diabetics do eventually need insulin. But not all of them, many are able to control with diet, exercise, and pills for their entire lives. I dont mind taking insulin. At this point, I need it to survive. It really isnt a bad thing. Its just something you have to do.
I suppose if we need it, we need it. There is no two ways about that.

I wish you all the best with it.
Take care

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Mohamed. It's good that you're able to control your diabetes with diet & supplements right now. We all need to watch the progression of this condition, and make the adjustments needed to maintain good control of our blood sugar levels. It IS progressive after all, and we have many tools at our disposal. Using meds and/or insulin is not an admission of failure - these are simply other weapons in our arsenal to fight diabetes and when the time comes, we need to be open to utilizing them.

Do you have any examples of your postprandial blood sugars? Those are the most revealing readings of all - how our bodies respond at 1 and 2 hour intervals after eating a meal.

Take care and keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome, Mohamed. It's good that you're able to control your diabetes with diet & supplements right now. We all need to watch the progression of this condition, and make the adjustments needed to maintain good control of our blood sugar levels. It IS progressive after all, and we have many tools at our disposal. Using meds and/or insulin is not an admission of failure - these are simply other weapons in our arsenal to fight diabetes and when the time comes, we need to be open to utilizing them.

Do you have any examples of your postprandial blood sugars? Those are the most revealing readings of all - how our bodies respond at 1 and 2 hour intervals after eating a meal.

Take care and keep us posted.
Hello Shanny

These are my post prandial ( 2hrs after meals) average results for the following months:
Jan 7.99
Feb 8.01
Mar 8.55
April 7.73
May 7.79

Are these good readings?.. bear in mind, this is with NO MEDICATION.
Look forward to your reply
Thanks

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Those aren't sky-high, but they're higher than I like mine to go, especially for two hours postprandial . . . by then you should be dropping back down to your starting levels. Do you ever test at the 1-hour interval postprandial?

My target range is 4.4 to 7.2 and I'm on metformin only - 1500mg per day. I do take a few other supplements like alpha lipoic acid and fish oil, but I don't rely on them to keep my blood sugar controlled.

Studies show that levels higher than 7.7 begin to cause damage to our internal organs, which is why I set my uppermost target at 7.2 - it gives me a little wiggle room.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those aren't sky-high, but they're higher than I like mine to go, especially for two hours postprandial. By then you should be dropping back down to your starting levels.

My target range is 4.4 to 7.2 and I'm on metformin only - 1500mg per day. I do take a few other supplements like alpha lipoic acid and fish oil, but I don't rely on them to keep my blood sugar controlled.

Studies show that levels higher than 7.7 begin to cause damage to our internal organs, which is why I set my uppermost target at 7.2 - it gives me a little wiggle room.
I am working only on controlling my diabetes using homeopathy and my diet. I dont want to touch allopathic medicines UNLESS I have no choice.
So hopefully, my PP might drop further as I go along .
Last month, my lowest PP reading was 6.2, but I prefer the average readings as they give me a more stable output.

You may have heard of Gabriel Cousens. He made a documentary called "Raw for 30 days" . if you havent seen it, I would highly recommend it. it transformed me!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I understand, and I wish you all the best, as well as wisdom in knowing when the "have no choice" time comes. Diabetes IS a progressive disorder. Do please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand, and I wish you all the best, as well as wisdom in knowing when the "have no choice" time comes. Diabetes IS a progressive disorder. Do please keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks Shanny
Good to talk to you
I wish you all the best with your diabetes too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts