The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Just need some tips on whats good to snack on and not cause bg raises I had to go to the hospital last night numbness scared me I have uncontrolled bg just need a miracle diet..Help:eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Debra - the best miracle diet for diabetes is restricted carb intake. If I allowed myself more than about 50 carbs/day, my bg would run on the uncontrolled side too (at least far higher than I want them.)

Great snacks are cheese, almonds, 1/2 an avocado - at least those are mine. I keep a supply of these http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/6581-crackers.html and might have a couple w/ some guacamole. I also have the occasional Slim Jim when I'm out, though that's not the healthiest being so highly processed. I also keep a stash of these Quest Low Carb Gluten Free Protein Bars, and one in my purse, for emergencies! At home, my snacks are often a few bites of leftovers.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Diabetes can be managed. It takes work. I also suggest that a LC/HF diet. I would suggest that you find out how your diabetic body works.
Blood Sugar 101 is a good start. Most type 2's are insulin resistant and many are insulin insufficient as well. This means that normal healthy foods cause havoc with our bgs. By controlling the portion of these foods and adding more fats and proteins to our diet we can control our insulin response. You need to find out what your individual carb tolerance is. For example mine is around 15 per meal,much less in the morning usually around 5 carbs for breakfast. You figure out your tolerance by lots of bg testing. Ideally you don't want to go higher than 120-140. I prefer to keep my bgs more in the 100-120 range. Some days are better than others. Check out some of the recipes in our recipe forum. I find if I have LC treats pre made it is much easier to stick to this lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My go-to snacks are also cheese, almonds, pepperoni, beef jerky, greek yogurt, celery with cheese or peanut butter, 1/2 an apple with peanut butter or cheese, and other stuff like that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Welcome aboard i am Martina from Burnaby BC Canada i am a type 2 for 6 years and i am on lantus insulin twice a day

1 - 6 of 6 Posts