The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I've just joined because I need a place to tell someone the truth which is that my diabetes management is in the toilet. I am now living with my son his wife and daughter and there are sweets every where. I've no control what-so-ever. I need help.
:)confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you realize that if you don't get a handle on your self control where sweets are concerned, that you could find yourslef in dire straights?
This is your health! There are alternatives for diabetics. There are all kinds of diabetic candies, cookies and cakes. (To be eaten in small portions once in a while)
Please take care of yourself and your diabetes so that your son will keep his mother.

G

·
welcome Sharoner... I'm sorta new here too. What type of diabetes do you have? How long have you had it? Temptation is always around us and it can be hard sometimes to say 'no'... especially if you are newly diagnosed. One thing I've learnt over the years is that you can still have a treat, but make it small! If you get carried away you are in for high BGLs and if you're Type 2 diabetic that means you are excelerating the deteriation of your pancreas.... you don't want to do that. It takes lots of willpower... but you can do it! You could ask you family and friends to help you in some way... but the best person to change habits is yourself. When I was first diagnosed it gave me quite a shock and I literally cut processed foods from my diet and microwaved everything or used the grill for meat.... I lost 20kgs from doing this. It was done by using daily willpower and the thought of not wanting to damage my body any further. I've also learnt that no food is off limits contrary from what the general public thinks... but it's everything in moderation! Perhaps start by replacing your cravings with healthier options such as freshly cut vegies, small servings of fruit, or low fat dairy. I've noticed everyone on this site has their own experience to share and all in all it's about trial and error and what works for you and what doesn't... we're all different. Think about emotional factors too as that can influence your food choices. I'm not sure whether you have a good medical team around you? If not, that should be your No 1 priority with this condition. Live and learn is what I love saying... it's so true with this condition as you're learning all the time.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Christmas has been a terrible time with all my kids home with cookies, chips, sweets, etc. As diabetics we have to figure out how to deal with it. It is not easy. I find if I keep some bran crackers ( 2 net carbs) around. When I get the temptation I grab a cracker, spread it with cocounut oil and almond butter and cinnamon. It fills me up without a spike. Find something similar in your house. Keep raw cut up veggies and other things you can eat safely. If you like to cook there are lots of low carb snacks and muffins you can make using almond meal, flaxseed, coconut flour. Here is one recipe site I use a lot
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Only you can motivate yourself to live better. If being around your son and his family isn't motivation enough, there is almost nothing we can say that will scare you into living right. I know that sounds harsh but you must help yourself.
With that said, we are glad you are here! I hope you come back often. We will support you and encourage you in whatever way we can. I will be saying a prayer for you and your self control right now.
Tell us a little about yourself and your diabetes as was previously mentioned.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi. sounds like you need to talk w/ your family about what's going on. good luck

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi. sounds like you need to talk w/ your family about what's going on. good luck

I think there is some pretty good advice there. Yes you have to learn to do it with the temptations in front of you. But your family has to understand they need your help too. Another thing, the candies laying around the house are of no good for them either. They just don't realize it yet.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Sharoner. Grab hold of your meter & don't let go. Keep testing when you're tempted to eat those sweets and other carb-ridden foods. If your meter clocks over 140, put that food on the "black" list & don't eat it again for awhile - just make it a rare treat in a small portion. As the others have advised, you are the only one who can control this - you are the final judge of what goes in your mouth. Let it be protein & fats instead of carbohydrates. :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello. I've just joined because I need a place to tell someone the truth which is that my diabetes management is in the toilet. I am now living with my son his wife and daughter and there are sweets every where. I've no control what-so-ever. I need help. :)confused:
Hello sharoner and welcome to the forum. I live with my non-diabetic Mother and she buys sweets and snacks EVERY trip to the grocery store. I try to stay busy and when I use my laptop at the kitchen table I notice her snacking and it doesn't bother me. I know that I can no longer eat like she can. I would LOVE to be able to get out a bag of corn chips and just eat to my hearts content but I wouldn't be able to keep my diabetes under control. You are just going to have to get used to seeing the foods that we can't eat. Try and include some ordinary foods in your diet but keep in mind that carbs are not our friends and must be eaten in moderation. Keep the serving size in mind and if you do find yourself eating snacks have one serving and stop, if you can't stop at one serving, then it would be best to not eat it. Good luck and I hope that you will adjust to living with others who do not need to watch what they eat. I am hoping that your relatives know that your diet has to be restricted, but don't expect them to give up foods you can't eat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts