The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, im new to this. In fact i was diagnosed 3 days ago with type two by urgent care. Today i went to the actual doctors appointment and the doctor said with my high glucose levels with my age and weight, he has a bad feeling it is type one. And i do too.

So thats my diagnoses, heres about me!

I am 21, i love online games. I am engaged. I have two blood hound-**** hound mix puppies which are girls. Thier names are Jasmine and Daisy.

If anyone has some good advice, feel free to share it.
Thanks everyone!!!

<3

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'm so sorry, but there are some very successful Type 1's here who will understand where you are. Tell us some more about you, your height, weight and how high was your glucose level?

Welcome to this marvelous club of friends fighting the same battle and winning day by day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My height is 5'5 my weight was 215 on 1-19-11. Now it is 166 as of this morning. As of 2 minutes ago my bg was 308. Its gone down just a littte because the doc gave me a shot of 10 ml of insulin it was 346 this mornin and i was fasting.

<3

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Stop eating man made carbs immediately.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Glad you found us ... sorry you had to! :welcome:

You'll find lots of info and support here.

Dogs and fiances are the greatest, no? Looking forward to getting better acquainted!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Did your doctor run a GAD Antibody Test and a C Peptide test? Those are the 2 tests you would need to determine which type you are. There are many type 2's who are also dx'd at your age. The type you are will determine your treatment. Tell us a little about your diet and we can tell you how to tweak it to get lower bgs.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
You have lost a lot of weight, so you could have some insulin resistance from the time you were heavier. I am a type 1, for 65 years, and I gained weight in the 1990s which gave me insulin resistance. A type 1 with insulin resistance is a double diabetic, with type 1 and some characteristics of type 2 as well. I take a type 2 med along with my insulin. I am very healthy, and you can be too, after you are adjusted. Good luck during the months ahead!

Richard

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I was diagnosed when I was 21 as well. Almost exactly a year ago. You can learn so much here about how to treat yourself and your disease. Almost all of the Drs don't tell you the real info you need to treat well. I hope you come back often.

Reactions: beaner293

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a whole bunch richard a lnd everyone else. Richard- i hope i am not double diabetic. But thanks for he support, i will keep you all up to date. !!! Thanks !!!

<3

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, SD! I hope you'll press your doc to do the c-peptide & GAD antibodies tests - that will be definitive proof of your type. Age & weight can give hints, but you need the tests.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i did some research on GAD. General anxiety disorder. I most likely have it. It seems i have been under a lot if stress. I know many others have been through worse- but when people say stuff like this person has it worse... is that really supposed to help?

Ugh and i feel sooo irritated.

Is this normal?

<3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really the bottom line is that you have to take care of yourself. Get you sugar under control, watch your diet and take your medication. Have they put you on pills? or insulin? Alcohol is out as well. With your age I know that that is going to be tough. If you weight is not under control, start exercising. Take baby steps and find supportive friends that will encourage you.

I have seen diabetic people that have not taken care of them selves and they are without limbs and dying a slow death. I refuse to let that be me. I have to say NO to alot of foods and activities that I woud love, but my friends are supportive and they have my best interest in mind. Be strong and be your own advocate. You can do it. You have to do it for yourself. Best wishes to you.:)
Hi everyone, im new to this. In fact i was diagnosed 3 days ago with type two by urgent care. Today i went to the actual doctors appointment and the doctor said with my high glucose levels with my age and weight, he has a bad feeling it is type one. And i do too.

So thats my diagnoses, heres about me!

I am 21, i love online games. I am engaged. I have two blood hound-**** hound mix puppies which are girls. Thier names are Jasmine and Daisy.

If anyone has some good advice, feel free to share it.
Thanks everyone!!!

<3

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
These GADs stand for Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase antibodies.
If your pancreas/beta cells are the subject of an autoimmune attack as in type 1 or type 1.5 (LADA) diabetes, then these antibodies may be found in your blood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been diagnosed with GAD and you are right, it is triggered by stress. Other people are ignorant of what they don't know or fear. See your doctor and discuss options. I have been on medication and it has really helped. I used to have such a short fuse and would cut someone down to size with my words and have absolutely no patience with anything or anyone.....medication has made me less likely to fly off the handle at others. Talk to your doctor, please. Your life could be so much better with treatment. Don't let anyone make you feel crazy. It is a medical condition that benefits from treatment. Best wishes to you.

Well i did some research on GAD. General anxiety disorder. I most likely have it. It seems i have been under a lot if stress. I know many others have been through worse- but when people say stuff like this person has it worse... is that really supposed to help?

Ugh and i feel sooo irritated.

Is this normal?

<3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
amandafulks said:
Really the bottom line is that you have to take care of yourself. Get you sugar under control, watch your diet and take your medication. Have they put you on pills? or insulin? Alcohol is out as well. With your age I know that that is going to be tough. If you weight is not under control, start exercising. Take baby steps and find supportive friends that will encourage you.

I have seen diabetic people that have not taken care of them selves and they are without limbs and dying a slow death. I refuse to let that be me. I have to say NO to alot of foods and activities that I woud love, but my friends are supportive and they have my best interest in mind. Be strong and be your own advocate. You can do it. You have to do it for yourself. Best wishes to you.:)
Omg amanda! Yes thanks for this. I dont drink much. I suppose i wont be anymore. Right now im on both. Insulin and glucophage- a pill. My weight is under controll. Im feeling sort of depressed/stressed and irritated. Would that be normal? Or part of something else.

<3

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Omg amanda! Yes thanks for this. I dont drink much. I suppose i wont be anymore. Right now im on both. Insulin and glucophage- a pill. My weight is under controll. Im feeling sort of depressed/stressed and irritated. Would that be normal? Or part of something else.

<3
Facing a diabetes diagnosis is stressful and anxiety-producing all by its lonesome. And depression has been linked to diabetes ... though what that link is, or why it's there, is not at all clear to the experts.

Controlling the blood sugar levels (which takes some time), is key to feeling better.

So are knowledge and strong support. You've found a great place for that!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Sweet.
I'm sorry you have to go through all this at the age of 21. That's just wrong. I hope you have lots of support from family and friends to help you through. I don't know how I would have coped at 21 if I had your health issues...probably wouldn't have coped actually. You sound very sensible and I'm sure you will do what you need to in order to be at your peak. Be kind to your body and soul. x Coco

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so i did some research an made a list of groceries. Can you tell me if these are good choices?

Chicken breasts
Turkey- shaved
Eggs
Round steak
Beef jerky
Ham
Hot dogs
Brown rice
Pop-corn
Oatmeal
Wildrice
Corn
Green peas
Potatoes
Fat free refried beans

Any additions comments or critisism would help

<3

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Ok so i did some research an made a list of groceries. Can you tell me if these are good choices?

Chicken breasts
Turkey- shaved
Eggs
Round steak
Beef jerky
Ham
Hot dogs
Brown rice-I'd be careful with this...
Pop-corn-works great for me as long as I drench it in butter!
Oatmeal-I just don't do it...too carby for me, but use your meter to see
Wildrice
Corn--I can use it now and then in small amounts
Green peas
Potatoes--I only use in very small amounts
Fat free refried beans--I eat high fat, so can't help here

Any additions comments or critisism would help

<3
These work for me with the notes I've added. I use my meter to tell me what I can have. But, we are very different ages and I'm on no drugs yet, but doing very well so far eating high fat/low carb.

Good luck to you!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.