The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola, just thought I'd post a quick intro here - I've lurked on and off since my diagnosis but finally thought I wanted to get a little more involved in the community!

I'm a 28 year old male and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in February 2011 - it's been a shock to the system but i think i'm handling things pretty reasonably (I'm helped by the fact that i'm going through a bit of a diabetic honeymoon at the moment).

I was very upset and shocked for the first month but that got better as i realised that much of my life could continue as it had. Sure, I had to learn some new rules that not everyone has to think about but besides Sweet and Sour pork (hong kong style), I can still eat many of the things i like just now i need to actually eat an intelligent amount and make up most of my diet with healthy meals...like everyone should do regardless of whether they have diabetes! I have started doing a bit more exercise although i know i need to do more (I work at a desk most of the time in I.T. and while I don't think i'm fat, i'm a bit cuddly). My greatest struggle with things so far is smoking - I've been a smoker since i was 16 and a pretty heavy one since college and I know i really need to quit it. I've found the diet pretty easy to adjust to but i haven't cracked that one yet :(

My main reason for wanting to get more involved in the forums is because i'm really curious to know what people think of the reaserch being done by Dr. Denise Faustman. I know it's probably best to start a new post in the appropriate place so i won't ask too much here but if sounds really interesting work! Anyway, i'll sign off here. I'm really happy this forum exists, while this is my first post, i've found it informative and reassuring at points since my diagnosis to lurk on here and see that i'm not the only person in the world dealing with this pain in the butt of a condition!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
What a great introduction, and what a wonderful balanced attitude you have already. You're going to be fine ... well, as soon as you stop smoking of course :)

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, and welcome! It is easy to see that you have a good attitude and want to do the right things. That is a good start! There are many type 1 diabetics here who can give you good advice. I have been type 1 for 66 years, and am very healthy.

I smoked for a few weeks when I was much younger. My blood sugar was much higher during those weeks. I stopped smoking and have never touched another cigarette. I don't like smoking or drinking alcohol. Those dislikes help my health and save me a lot of money too.

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts