The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
George :) I been diabetic for about 10 years now and haven't really taken care of it well. I take Metform and Glimp and recently started with Lantus. I'm trying to learn to take a more active stance in treating my diabetes. Hopefully, I'll be able to find that knowledge here.:p

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello George, welcome to ourcommunity! Read the forums and let us know if you have any questions. Welcome aboard!

Richard

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi There George.....Welcome!! :)

We're Glad that you are here and that you are taking a more active role in learning to control your Diabetes. You are certainly not the first or last to stall in the years with Diabetes before Reality hit.

I am also on Lantus for about 2 years now(and Humalog). Good Luck with your progress.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi George ,welcome to the forum .It's a good move that you're doing .If you let your diabetes whitout control.A lot of organs ,limbs ,skin ,may be affected .Good for you, that you decided to change your attitude .So hope to hear fro m you again Bye Ricky

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello & Welcome George :D, there is nice helpful people here with many experiences that they share & some good fun too. :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello George!

Any questions George?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome George....

Glad to see your here.. Take a look through past posts .. and if you have any questions feel free to ask.. there are many helpful and wonderful people here to help you and answer your questions

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
recently

My doc has been trying to figure out how to best control my diabetes and I'm having serious doubts as to her ability and understanding of the treatment. I recently started using lantus and novalog and shes trying to nail down the lantus dosage. She started me out with 80 units of lantus, then bumped it up to 100, with 1 unit of novalog per 10 bloodsugar I am over 100 before meals. She upped my lantus to 140 and has my testing my bloodsugar before I eat. For every 10 I am over 100, I'm to take 1 unit of novalog, so if I am at 190, I take 9 units of novalog then eat. I fear that she will bump me up more on lantus, but never address the sugar I gain after I eat. My understanding is I should be compensating for what I about to eat with the novalog, not trying to bring it to 100 before I eat. By the way, my doc is not an endocrinologist. Should I seek another doctor?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello gcho, I'm going to say that your current doctor is wrong but I think you should see an endocrinologist for a second opinion on yout treatment. You should take a carefully prepared log of your tests, insulin dosages and number of carbs eaten for a period of two or more weeks when you go to the endo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Richard, btw, the name is George :) I'm seeing a different doctor tomorrow. I do need to create a more detailed log, but honestly, my forgetfulness will be the death of me cause I keep forgetting to log everything properly. Still, this routine that the doctor has me on, seems to be causing me to wake up in the middle of the night with low blood sugar. At this point, I've really disregarded her instructions and am kind of winging it from experience and some knowledge from my sister, who is also diabetic and been using lantus and novalog longer then me. I'll see what this other doctor thinks I should do.

·
Registered
663 Posts
G'day George :D, What's your diagnosis? A type 1 or 2?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts