Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Hello - New here :)

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JT. 
#1 ·
Hi all, newly diagnosed type 2 here from New Zealand. I was diagnosed last week with fasting level of 14.8% and Hba1c of 95 (10.8 converted I believe). I was diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago, and told I was insulin resistant - but none of it was ever really explained to me or treated.

So i'm feeling a bit anxious as this is all new to me, but looking through the forums i'm learning a lot, everyone has some great advice and this seems like a great community :)

#2 ·
Hi, Aribella. It is pretty overwhelming for most of us in the beginning, but if you stick with this forum, it won't be long until you have things in hand. A great place to learn the things that our doctors don't explain is Jenny Ruhl's website Blood Sugar 101 Most of our doctors aren't diabetic, but Jenny is, so she knows what's what, and explains it in a way that is easy to understand.

Glad you found us and welcome aboard.

#3 ·
welcome to the machine!

#4 ·
Hello & welcome, Aribella. I think we can help relieve some of your anxiety, and we can certainly give you guidelines for getting those numbers down safely and quickly. Sorry you had to come looking for us, but I'm glad you found us. Make yourself at home here & ask any questions you may have. We've all been through the same drill, and it's pretty unnerving at first.

Have your docs prescribed any meds or issued any dietary advice? Let us know what's going on - we're here to help you every way we can.

#6 ·
Thanks Shanny, and everyone else for the welcome :) I'm glad to have found a place thats so packed full of advice and knowledge and i'm sure it'll make things easier!

I've been prescribed Metformin 500mg x 2 daily at this stage. Regarding diet they had a chat to me and basically they recommended a plate to be 1/2 vegetables, 1/2 starchy carbs and 1/2 protein. Plus the healthy eating pyramid recommended with seems to have lots of carbs, although I see most around here choose low carb? I've been eating low carb for the past week and even in such a short time i've been seeing a difference.

G
#5 ·
Welcome to the forum, Aribella. I was diagnosed only 2 weeks ago, so understand how overwhelming it all is.

Please share with us your progress as you come to terms with the disease and work out what foods work best for you. One thing I've found is that I need to test, test, test to determine what I can and can't eat. Sharing the fasting bg with everyone every morning also helps to keep me on the straight and narrow - I really, really don't want to post a high reading and then have to admit what caused it. :)

If you're anything like me, you're finding it a bit daunting facing a future watching everything you eat, but it's worth it, to get the readings down and keep them there, to avoid the nasty complications.

#7 ·
Hi Aribella,

The most important this is that You'll be fine. In time you will realise that diabetes can be successfully managed.

What kind of meds and diet are you on ? Do you have weight to reduce ?

Welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home here and fire away with those questions

Thanks

Tony

#9 ·
That's a pretty standard recommendation from the medical community, and I'm happy to hear you've already tried the lower carb route in spite of their advice. It really does get fast results. What they failed to mention is fats in your diet. Not the man-made vegetable oils & hydrogenated spreads, but real fats like butter, cream & bacon. Coconut & olive oil. I bet a good tweak to their "plate" would be to substitute fats (cheese, avocados, etc.) for that 1/4 starchy veggies. We really have no need whatever for "starchy" carbs! :bounce:

#10 ·
Hi ya, where in NZ are you, I'm in Wellington. I just joined the forum yesterday and already feeling like part of the family here, your right about not being told anything, that was the same for me too, I've been here a day and learned heaps, my husband tells everyone that listens, put the fat back in your diet, just make sure it's the right ones, the one I say is, be careful of any food white in color, and if it's processed don't process it. I have been struggling with PCOS 17 years, and yes I do have all the nasty things that come with. I hope we get to chat, it's always nice to be in contact with someone who knows.

#12 ·
Hi Franci - I'm in Wellington also (Lower Hutt) Nice to have another local here who understands :) I seem to have all the nasty things that come with the PCOS as well - lol - so you're not alone there! Thanks for the advice - will be avoiding the white foods :)

#14 ·
Aribella said:
Hi Franci - I'm in Wellington also (Lower Hutt) Nice to have another local here who understands :) I seem to have all the nasty things that come with the PCOS as well - lol - so you're not alone there! Thanks for the advice - will be avoiding the white foods :)
Upper Hutt, so close we could almost shake hands. 😄

Smile it's contagious!!!

#16 ·
Hi Aribella, Welcome to the forum, Sorry was late!! I'm also your neighbour! beside you down under Australia! lol..

I am glad you found this forum and I hate to admit, the people here are nice and helpful, Ask any question if you need, dont be shy! someone will be able to help you!

Once again, Welcome!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.