The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm Cindy 34 from Colorado. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with type 2. My dr has put me on Metformin and januvia. my bs is all over the board still and sadly I'm already burnt out on watching my eating. I'm also beyond frustrated with finding what I can eat. Anyway. I'm glad I found this board and can't wait to talk to everyone!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome, Shy. Sorry you are so frustrated, but we've all been there. Little comfort I know. This is a frustrating condition, but time will help you figure things out. A lot of us, are eating low carb which does really help and takes a lot of the mystery out of it. Tell us more about yourself....do you want to lose weight, what your BG is running, how often do you test, etc. and we can help you more.

Just sit down and calm down...and read Blood Sugar 101 on the web. It's a great site and does remove some of the mystery. Also, we have a really good recipe section which should help.

Sorry you had to find us, but glad to know you,

·
Registered
497 Posts
Welcome! The first few weeks are always the toughest. Finding the proper things to eat that don't spike your BS, coming to grips with having "D", starting meds that may or may not have side effects (I got lucky there).

Believe me, it does get easier and it does get better. Finding the right diet is key. Most people on here use a low carb diet, mine is kind of low carb, I'm about 100-120g a day. Some are 30-60 a day, some none, whatever works for you.

I was 35 when diagnosed, it was tough on me, I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old and I learned to take it day by day, only you can choose to move forward or stand still and watch life go by. My forst 4 months I chose to stand still and I missed a lot and I regret it.

You will get control and you will learn to live with diabetes.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It is tuff when we start out but you will learn. In the US we have food labels, its carbohydrates that raise BG. Carbs are listed on the food label

carbs raise BG ALL carbs, whole wheat BG goes up, pasta BG goes up, rice BG goes up, potato BG goes up, most fruit BG goes up.

use your meter to find how much of each you can eat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone :) thanks to my meds my first fasting bg at the drs of 390 is now usually 130-140.

I've read blood sugar 101 over and over and over again its been very helpful!! Much more so then my so called dr. I've pretty much gotten a handle on lunch and dinner low carb eating. But breakfast is causing me to spike usually to about 170-180 2 hrs after. But by lunch time it's down to about 100-110. And it stays there until after breakfast the next day.

My major goals right now is to lose weight,and I hope to one day beable to control by diet alone! Since my symptoms started I have lost about 15lbs. 13 of those were before being diagnosed.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Cindy . . . sorry you've joined the diabetes "club", but glad you found our forum. I hope you gain as much help from these folks as I have . . . they really give my morale a boost!

If breakfast is a problem, you may be like a lot of us - extra-sensitive to carbs in the morning hours. Just forget about all the stuff we're told to eat for breakfast, and eat whatever non-carby foods you like - I'm good about cleaning up any leftover steak from night before - gotta be quick though, in case anyone ELSE knows it's leftover! I can also be found having guacamole with cheese crisps and we have a new cracker recipe which I haven't tried yet, but I have a notion it's going to be better than ever with guacamole. I use a lot of cream cheese spreads, and those are good for breakfast too. Just whatever you like that has no carbs in fair game for breakfast!

Congrats on the weight loss . . . a low-carb/high-fat diet will keep those pounds coming off - it's working for quite a few of us.

Take care & visit us often. :wave:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts