The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Ken and I'm 51 and today I was diagnosed as having Type 2 diabetes. Two weeks ago my glucose was recorded at 186 and I was brought in for a second screen and my AC1 was registered at 11.1.

When I was informed about a week ago that my original glucose was high and most likely diabetic, I took action right away. I have been walking and going to the gym daily and staying completely away from sugar and carbs. Fortunately I love fish.

Today my doctor had me come in for a consultation and diagnosed me with Type 2. I was prescribed Metformin (500 mg x2 day) and was provided a meter. Since I have gotten home my fasting reading was 120. I ate some cooked chicken breast for dinner, waited 2 hours and did another test. It read 146. I have no idea if that is a high spike or not.

Found this site and WOW, lots of information to process. I fully intend to commit to my new exercise regiment and plan to lose 20 lbs. I've done it before, I'll do it again. I'm not afraid of that challenge. However, I'd like to hear from your experiences on what to expect. I know this is not the end of the world but damn, I love food. I'm into BBQ and pizza and now I fear that has been taken from me. I could use some advice.

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Ken. You've a lot in common with all of us, and I don't mean just diabetes. We all love food too, and that hasn't changed since our diagnoses. If we're presented with pizza, we just remove the toppings, ditch the crust, and enjoy all the wonderful meat & cheese. BBQ is even easier, since it's the sauce that can make trouble, but we can make terrific sauces without sugar (like http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/54057-carolina-bbq-sauce.html#post741489 :D). Our recipe board will show you some of the healthiest & tastiest recipes ever.

Our main method is eat-to-your-meter (this differs from what you've been taught, in that we must test at the one-hour interval after meals, in order to catch any spike that happens - it's explained in the link), and this allows you to tailor your meals to your own tolerances & preferences. Beyond that, most of us realize that a low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating keeps our meters happier than other plans, so we have a few favorite sites which outline the general LCHF plan:

And one more which has become a bible of sorts for many of us: Blood Sugar 101 This site will have you knowing more about diabetes than even your doctor. Every time you study it, you learn something new! :cool:

Make yourself comfortable . . . prowl through our boards & other members' threads . . . the introductory threads provide an especially good look into how others have progressed on their diabetes journeys, including the triumphs & pitfalls.

Good to have you with us - thanks for joining!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Ken and welcome. I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic early this year. I am happy to say that there are plenty of delicious food choices on the "yes" side. I do not go hungry or feel deprived. I hope you will read the helpful links; they are critical to dealing successfully with this disease.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Don't be overwhelmed, you have come to the best place you could come to.

First, stop thinking about how "hard" it is going to be. I can assure you that the consequences of neglecting diabetes are far, far harder.

You are going to have to make some fundamental behavioral changes, and completely revise your eating habits, but the results will astonish you.

We've all done it, and will guide you so that you can do so, too.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hi and welcome. I like to think of it as different rather than hard. I'm so glad your doc gave you a meter, there are so many that say you don't need a meter, I bet if it was THEIR diabetes, THEY would have a meter! So glad you found us, read all the links provided, follow the suggestions given and you'll be amazed at how much control you can have over diabetes :)

Reactions: Shanny and MaJoie

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
H I love food. I'm into BBQ and pizza and now I fear that has been taken from me.
Not to worry.... Low Carb BBQ sauce recipes abound on the internet. When faced with restaurant pizza, just pick off the topping and leave the crust. If you know ahead of time, bring with you a couple slices of LC pizza crust - again, there are loads of LC pizza crust recipes to choose from.

I think you'd be really surprised at how well one can eat on LCHF - go to the Diet Forum here and look at the meal threads... "What's for breakfast", What's for lunch" and "What's for Dinner" and the Snack thread. You'll think you died and went to heaven. On LCHF you can have all those yummy foods you had to give up when you were eating low-fat. BACON is back on your menu.

Then there's all the good recipes in our Recipe section.

The change in one's way of thinking about food does take a bit of time to adjust, but once you're willing to embrace LCHF, you're going to not only feel satisfied with all this yummy food, your BG will drop and you're going to feel just great.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Ken...welcome aboard, here you will be talking with others who have traveled the road you are now on. I too was first diagnosed with type 2 at your age. I am now 65. I found this forum on 5/1/15 and over the last 6 months I can honestly say that I finally took control of this disease without using additional medications to make it happen. That is what this forum is all about....taking control of your disease. If we don't take control the disease will progress and eventually kill us.

Taking added drugs dramatically increases the possibility of reactions and side effects, that sometimes are worse than diabetes...so I know longer consider more drugs an option, with two exceptions. Metformin is a proven drug, with minimal life threatening problems, Insulin both slow acting and fast acting, are again fairly safe if you administer them properly. Other than that I fear all other drugs, especially anything NEW!

To be successful you have to build a basic understanding of how our eating methods work. To get that basic knowledge you have to read all the websites noted above. Blood Sugar 101 and Eating to your meter, are critical basic knowledge you must have.

When I was diagnosed my A1c was 11.1 also. In May prior to starting on this Low Carb High Fat lifestyle, my A1c was at 7.3 and was 7.9 3 months before that. In July after only being on this since May my A1c was at 6.0! I had dropped 10% of my weight (30lbs), my blood pressure was 125/75, my Cholesterol was better than when I was 40, and my doctor was amazed!

I lost this weight without exercise or dieting, I ate as much as I wanted. What I did is changed what I ate....I ate less than 50 carbs per day. I did this by eating no grains, no root crops, nothing with sugar or sugar alcohols, ....I did eat steaks, bacon, eggs, ham, fish, salads, all green vegetables, etc. etc. I ate fast food, Sonic Cheese Burgers (not the bun or potatoes), I ate Kentucky Fried Chicken (The have great Baked Chicken) with two orders of green beans,....
etc. etc. And of course you cannot have a great meal without a Scotch and Soda or glass of red wine....both of which are ok, according to my meter anyway.

It takes time to develop a robust menu that meets all your wants and needs, but after you do, you will not miss any of the old stuff...because after two or three weeks, all the cravings are gone.

If you add exercise on top of this, you will see amazing results, better than you will ever think! The hardest part is eating real butter, Whipping cream in your coffee or tea, bacon, eggs, and all the red meat you want....because we have all trained all our lives that this is bad....we now know it is not bad, it is necessary to replace the carbs you are no longer eating....
Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for encouraging me. On one hand I am a bit nervous about my future (food!) but on the other I am so ready to embrace the changes that I need to make anyhow. I'm a little overweight but I've been getting up a 4 each morning and walking/jogging and going to the gym. Funny thing is, I don't dread it. I have really been enjoying the time spent doing it. I've already lost 3 lbs in a week and I'm stronger to boot.

I'm a patient person and understand that to control this it will take time. Believe me, this is not the toughest thing I've had to face. 2 years ago I had a brain tumor (benign!) and it's been very difficult to overcome. My surgery was a nightmare. My wife was told it would be a 6 hour operation but it took 22. I was intubated for 7 days! However, after all that was behind me, I look exactly the same but it has affected my swallowing and voice. And I lost a muscle in my shoulder. So trust me, I've been through the looking glass and I'm still standing! Yes, I wish I didn't have Type 2 but I also am living proof that whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Again, thank you for responding. I will be asking questions now and again. Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
970 Posts
If you really need to be "nervous" about your future, do some reading about diabetic complications, and I think that may help lean you toward taking up LCHF as a lifestyle choice.

Ultimately, of course, the choice is yours, as we can only advise, guide and encourage.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Welcome, Ken. Do check out the links above. They are excellent help. And this forum is the best place to be for helpful folks who've been there and know what you're going through. There are some super cooks here, too as the recipe section will attest. Best wishes on your new journey.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
You Said..."I'm a patient person and understand that to control this it will take time".

Got another surprise for you! If you are like most of us, once you start eating properly you will see a major change in your blood sugar readings within a couple of days and within 2-3 weeks you will probably have your sugar under control.....

You may have some times were it will spike, especially when you work out or are getting a cold or something, but again you will know how to fix that and why it is happening....of course this is some of the knowledge you will get from the reading.

For me my weight started peeling off within 2 weeks, mostly water I was getting rid of, but losing 10% of my weight in 12 weeks was pretty cool....and that was without getting up and working out, or working out at all. I and now down over 30 lbs. and now I am starting my workouts...so that weight loss is yet to come...

Do the reading and get started....you will be amazed

Once you get the knowledge, get a bunch of test strips for your meter, I started with 300, because you will need to test a lot at the beginning...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts