The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone, my name is Linda, I am 52, I was dx in DKA in Feb. as a Type 2 and that is still my paper diagnosis -- but I have > 30 GAD antibodies, so I consider myself a T1.5.

So far I am on only Metformin, got Actos and Glimepiride at discharge from hospital. Did fine till this fall when I was able to tell my glucose was creeping up. Just to throw a monkey wrench into the works I asked to go back on niacin the Monday after Thanksgiving ... and since then my blood sugars have definitely been worse -- almost all post prandials are now in the 130 - 140's, and more than half my waking fastings are too. It may be the niacin, but since it looks like a trend continuing from about 6 weeks BEFORE I started taking it, it may not be.

So that's where I am, these days ... nice to meet you all!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Linda, welcome to Diabetes Forum! Your blood sugar is not so bad at all, but it does need some work. Niacin has been known to raise blood sugar levels for some people, so that could be part of your problem. Ask all the questiuons you want. Good luck to you in the months ahead!

Richard

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Richard! Yes, I have been considering Niacin as the cause, but my numbers only sort of crept up, since starting it, so if it is part of the problem, it is only part ... I am going to upload my numbers from my meter and think about it, have cut the niacin back and seen no difference! Also asking to get another C-peptide with my next round of labs.

Clearly not urgent, but still quite disappointing to have a run of higher numbers, after having good control over the summer!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Niacin

It can take a few weeks for the Niacin to be out of your system so give it time.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Richard -- just what I am doing! Hard to find info out there on how long the effect takes to wear off, though.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Penny has just made me realize you are from DF too. I knew I had seen "foxl" on another site. Lol! So hello over here, from over there!!!

Richard

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
It's Tony over there, and Bob over here. Bob has a nice design and format for the site. What do you ladies think?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The vBulletin format is really popular . . . I think about four or five of the boards I frequent use this - one of them is a FaceBook gamers board & another is just a local one here in Missouri. vBulletin is very user-friendly!

My trouble is that I have the font blown up so big that it sometimes messes up the layout. Oh well . . . I'll get these cataracts fixed in just a few more weeks & THEN I'll be able to see straight! :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
Welcome.

Hello Linda, Let me welcome you to another DF. :D how are you? Hope that you are warm, Happy and healthy. ;):D

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, Anthill!

I am looking forward to a new year, I am okay, have a mild cold, and it is snowing, but those things are to be expected in a Kansas City winter.

Right now, I am all excited because I finally found a decent classical music station in KC, again. (It is not all really a Cowtown, but they dropped the really good one, years ago).

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi, Anthill!

I am looking forward to a new year, I am okay, have a mild cold, and it is snowing, but those things are to be expected in a Kansas City winter.
Aww Linda, Please call me peter. ;):D Now this may be quite strange as I too have a cold and I am quite hot and sneasing and cougfing and at the end of it too. :cool:

Right now, I am all excited because I finally found a decent classical music station in KC, again. (It is not all really a Cowtown, but they dropped the really good one, years ago).
I have grown to appreciate Classical Music as I like the calming effect that it gives me an with Ballet it has wonderful memories for me too. :D

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Linda, I drove through Kansas in 1989 and saw so many fummel clouds in the distance, looking like small hurricanes. The wind was so strong when we stopped for lunch that I had a very hard time closing my car door as we were leaving. I guess that is rather normal for Kansas. Does KC get tornados? If so, is there extensive damage there each year?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, Peter! I hope your cold goes away faster than mine seems to be doing ...

Richard, yes, KC does get tornadic activity, and microbursts (similarly devastating effects) too. But the area nearer Wichita is actually considered higher-risk for them, now. We get our fair share of storms, and our more damaging winter storms tend to be ICE storms -- they are so hard on our roofs and trees!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.