The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ! My name is Mike.I am 50 years young and have had diabetes for 30+ years. When I first got diabetes,I was in my 20's and was put on insulin and a 1800 calorie diet and was put in the hospital for a week.Wow,how things have changed. I was fortunate enough to lose about 40 lbs. and get off all medication for about 15 years until I got older and lazy and started to gain a little weight again and found out my diabetes was back. For the past several years I was on oral meds until last week my doctor put me on Levemir along with Glimipiride,Trajenta and Metformin.The insulin seems to be working as my blood sugars are more under control than they used to be. Hopefully my A1c will be at good level when I go back to the doctor in 3 months. A nyway, thats a little bit about me and I hope I can be some help to others on this website that may need some and maybe I can learn from others experiences as well ! Thanks Mike !

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi, Mike. Many of the members here have been able to lower their bg and reduce or eliminate meds by eating low carb/high fat. Here is a good site which puts lc/hf in a nutshell. LCHF for beginners With the great recipes I have found in the recipe section on this forum and the low carb recipes I found online, it's not that hard for my husband and me to stick with it.

I have my fingers crossed that your next A1c will be a good one. I'm curious to know how your last one came out.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
With 30+ years experience, you are indeed a veteran. And yes we learn from each other, I'm sure you will contribute positively. Welcome.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Mike, welcome to our forum. Tell us a little more how you manage your diabetes on a day to day basis. I think a lot of us have found that you have to think out of the box when it comes to diabetes. Lots of us have received diet advice from dieticians and doctors that actually made our bgs worse, not better. Personally I never count calories just carbs. I use my meter to figure out what foods my diabetic body can tolerate and which ones I have to avoid. Unfortunately no dietician or doctor ever told me that. Actually they told me that type 2's really didn't need to test. I am so glad I didn't take that advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mike, welcome to our forum. Tell us a little more how you manage your diabetes on a day to day basis. I think a lot of us have found that you have to think out of the box when it comes to diabetes. Lots of us have received diet advice from dieticians and doctors that actually made our bgs worse, not better. Personally I never count calories just carbs. I use my meter to figure out what foods my diabetic body can tolerate and which ones I have to avoid. Unfortunately no dietician or doctor ever told me that. Actually they told me that type 2's really didn't need to test. I am so glad I didn't take that advice.
For years I really did a bad job of managing my diabetes and rarely tested my blood sugars because I felt fine.excersised regulary and didn't have any complications from my diabetes. Now that I have gotten older my body is not reacting to oral meds like it used to. Now I try to watch what I eat, cutting the carbs some and staying away from fried foods the best I can. It's hard sometimes,but I carry on.Lately ,I started gaining weight so the doctor has me on insulin and it seems to be helping. For the most part,I personaly think diabetics should watch their carb intake ,don't over indulge and try to excersise about 2 or 3 times a week.i have been dealing with diabetes for 30+ years now and I can tell everybody that's it not a death sentence. As long as you keep it under control and manage it wisely everything should be alright. Hope this helps and if you need anymore feedback don't hesistate to ask.That's what this forum is all about.Thanks, Mike !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts