The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just registered to this forum and I hope this is going to be a great adventure.

My name is Tarek Elsakka. I'm a 19-year old Egyptian studying at the American University in Cairo and majoring in Political Science. Still a freshman since I haven't been doing well, but I've gotten better and I'll hopefully graduate within two and a half years.

Anyway, I searched for a forum about diabetes and stumbled upon this one. I have been Diabetic, diagnosed with Type 1, ever since I was 4 years old (1994).

Diabetes hasn't been a good friend for me so far because even though I go to doctors and travel to several countries for yearly checkups, I don't really manage my diet so I end up getting high percentages when I do the blood tests.

I'm old enough now to start managing everything since I'm afraid that will affect me in the long term, and that is why I came here looking for suggestions, answers, advice, etc.

This will hopefully be a great adventure for me and a whole new lifestyle, as I said.

Thank you for having me here, guys.

Sincerely,

Tarek Elsakka

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Welcome, Tarek! And congratulations on deciding to get control of your diabetes. It's never too soon ... and I hope you'll feel as lucky stumbling upon this forum as I do (my stumble was in Feb when I was diagnosed) - it has been my rock.

You've gone through quite a national upheaval this year - I have been following things fairly closely. One of my long-standing desires has been to spend time in Egypt. I plan to do that when my life situation, and your political one, open the door! I love your country and have never even been there :)

Anyway - glad you're here!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the heart-warming welcome, Moon. I sure hope everything is going fine with your diabetes, because as you know, it can be your best friend.

Yeah, we've been going through rough times recently. I sure hope things workout and you come here. If you ever decide to, you can contact me and I'll help you out. Thanks again and best of luck to you, mate.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Tarek, welcome! If you have not managed your diet for that many years, then you may have diabetes complications. How are your eyes and kidneys? I hope you are well. I have been type 1 for 65 years, and am very healthy. Ask all the questions you want, there are several type 1 diabetics here to advise you.

Richard

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome Tarek! Finding this forum is certainly a step in the right direction. Best of luck with your diabetes management and your current studies. I'm sure Cairo is a very interesting place to be a political science major these days!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you very much, guys, I truly appreciate it.

@Richard, thanks a lot! Well, I made a full checkup around six months ago and thank God everything, including my kidneys, are perfectly fine. Except for my A1C, of course, which was around 11.

I realized I'm heading into a dark road with a dead end, so I'm turning back and hopefully things will get better along the way.

Thank you again for welcoming me, guys, and I will keep you posted on how things will turn out for me in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hello everyone,

I just registered to this forum and I hope this is going to be a great adventure.

My name is Tarek Elsakka. I'm a 19-year old Egyptian studying at the American University in Cairo and majoring in Political Science. Still a freshman since I haven't been doing well, but I've gotten better and I'll hopefully graduate within two and a half years.

Anyway, I searched for a forum about diabetes and stumbled upon this one. I have been Diabetic, diagnosed with Type 1, ever since I was 4 years old (1994).

Diabetes hasn't been a good friend for me so far because even though I go to doctors and travel to several countries for yearly checkups, I don't really manage my diet so I end up getting high percentages when I do the blood tests.

I'm old enough now to start managing everything since I'm afraid that will affect me in the long term, and that is why I came here looking for suggestions, answers, advice, etc.

This will hopefully be a great adventure for me and a whole new lifestyle, as I said.

Thank you for having me here, guys.

Sincerely,

Tarek Elsakka
Hi Tarek and a big welcome to the site. Its good to have you here. There is much information on the subject and you're sure to make some good friends here at the same time:D.

Mabuhay from the Philippines,

Gene

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hello and welcome Tarek...2 of my uncles were born in Cairo but they're Armenian...

It's important to keep you diabetes in control especially when studying... I know for me it made a huge difference...my brain works so much better when I'm stable...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts