The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Dianne and I have been diabetic for 25 years type 2. Take lantus and metformin. Last A1C was 7.6 and am working on that. In a recent chat with a friend I was told that the body does not recognize diet drinks as diet and it does not matter what type. I drink crystal light or diet soda only. Is this true?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome back, Dianne.

Not sure what your friend means in saying our bodies don't recognize it . . . but there ARE some artificial sweeteners (sugar alcohols) that can still spike some of us. If your meter tells you your diet sodas & Crystal Light are okay & not spiking you, then if I were you, I'd go ahead & drink 'em! We gotta stay hydrated somehow. :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree with Shanny. This condition is very personal and impacts each of us in different ways. If your meter doesn't appear to have a problem with these drinks, drink away!! Welcome to the forums, I hope you come back often.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If you don't know who Dr. Bernstein is, he is a diabetes doctor who is pretty famous around these parts. He says certain sweeteners are fine to use and won't spike bg while others can. He listed some of those that can, so I typed up the list and keep it in my purse. Before I buy a new product, even if it says sugar free or no sugar added, I check the ingredients agains Dr. Bernstein's list, and if one of the ingredients is in there, I don't buy it. The list might also be helpful to you.

Most of the diet drinks I have looked at use aspertame as the sweetener, and Dr. Bernstein does approve aspertame.

carob
corn syrup
dextrin
dextrose
dulcitol
fructose
glucose
honey
lactose
levulose
maltodextrin
maltose
mannitol
mannose
molasses
saccharose
sorbitol
sorghum
treacle
turbinado
xylitol
xylose

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shanny said:
Welcome back, Dianne.

Not sure what your friend means in saying our bodies don't recognize it . . . but there ARE some artificial sweeteners (sugar alcohols) that can still spike some of us. If your meter tells you your diet sodas & Crystal Light are okay & not spiking you, then if I were you, I'd go ahead & drink 'em! We gotta stay hydrated somehow. :)
There the best things to use sweeteners like you said we need to stay hydrated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome back, Dianne.

thank you all for your input. Knew I could find the answer here

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I have read recently that all the sweeteners are a bad idea as your body reacts to them as if it's sugar of some form and will perhaps cause other cravings. Don't remember where I saw that, but at the time I considered it credible source. I use cyclamate myself...when I use it at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hello All I am the creator of the website diabetestypetwosymptoms it has all the information from articles and products all to do with diabetes type two symptom.
No offense, Darren, but your site seems more about selling product than information.

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
That's fair enough there products to help with diabetes
This Forum, however, is about sharing info, our trials and our triumphs ... not about buying and selling products.

Please let us get to know you better! :)

G

·
welcome Dianne :) I used to drink pepsi max a few years back. I stopped doing that due to my bad stomach. But I think I've gone off artificial sweetners simply because they're artificial. Here in Oz they sell a sugar that is coated in molasses which slows down absorbtion when you have it... making it low GI. I use that if I'm wanting to sweeten anything. A friend of mine recently read an article on diet coke and it scared her so much she has quit drinking it. But everyone is different in what they want to eat and drink and what they can tolerate.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Dianne! :welcome:

I found out the thing I like about soda is the bubbles! Got hooked on sparkling water/club soda instead. No sugar, though some come with unsweetened (I always check the labels) fruit essence.

DISCLAIMER: I never liked diet soda, ever. But most folks I know love it!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i would blow my brains out if i couldnt drink diet pepsi with cherry anymore. its the only thing in life that i havnt given up since getting sick

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
i would blow my brains out if i couldnt drink diet pepsi with cherry anymore. its the only thing in life that i havnt given up since getting sick
No need to go to extremes. Here ... you can have my share!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I use stevia..and stevia isn't artificial..in Japan they are now using it to sweeten sodas alas we are far behind them...Ive found though most sweetened drinks are now way too sweet for me and I drink Mineral Water...I just like a bit of sparkle

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm addicted to Deer Park sparkling mineral water w/ berry lime essence. Am on the East Coast for another month and got stressed enough that I looked to make sure I could get it in CA when I get home. I can't - it's not sold there. Thought about maybe having 100 cases shipped to me, but can't do that either.

<whine>

1 - 20 of 23 Posts