The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I ve been dx'd with diabetes in May. Endo says I am a type 1 and has to inject insulin. What a pain it is to realise that smth is going wrong with you but no one can tell you what exactly is wrong. As I understood the causes of diabetes is still a mystery. How come that a disease that skyrocketed in its prevalence just in last 50 years is so poorly studied with all the technologies available????
I refused to inject insulin and use some meds for the moment. How long it will last? I don't know.
As I understand it a lot and a lot depends on the diabetic himself as docs cannot help you much.
I know that there are cases when ppl managed to overcome the disease. Now I am all in to understand how they managed to do it and what can really be done. There has to be some logical explanation of all of these...
I am just ovewhelmed...

If you have any ideas I'd love to hear them...

thanks for listening,

Steve

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Steve, welcome to Diabetes Forum. Since your endo has diagnosed you as Type 1 you MUST take insulin in order to live. Type 1 diabetics CANNOT live without insulin. There are diabetics who have been able to control their diabetes without insulin but they are Type 2 diabetics and that is a completely different kind of diabetes. Many Type 2's eventually have to take insulin too if their pancreas stops producing enough for them to be able to use medication alone. There is no medication that will help a Type 1 so injections of insulin or an insulin pump are the only choices.

Type 1 is sometimes due to a gene that someone may have, passed on by relatives who also had Type 1. Anything that causes a pancreas to stop producing insulin will cause Type 1 diabetes. Causes also include diseases that are harmful enough to affect the pancreas. I had measels, mumps and chicken pox when I was 5 back in 1945. All those diseases occurred in a few months time and my pancreas shut down. I have now been Type 1 for 63 years and I am very healthy. I would have died by 1946 at the very latest if there was no insulin then. The only kind of insulin available in 1945 was taken from pigs and cows. It kept me alive until modern day insulins became available. Following a very low carb diet, exercising every day and taking my insulin is keeping me alive and healthy. After you get used to insulin and have good control you will have a good chance of living a long, healthy life. Good luck to you!

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Richard! Thanks for your reply!
It is quite impressive your life with diabetes.
I know I am supposed to take insulin but my doc said that your BG is higher than normal but with using insulin it becomes too low and that my pancreas is still producing some insulin. Probably, I came in just in time. So endo says Id' better get used to insulin sooner than later but if I don't need for the moment I prefer not to use it and instead get more info about it.
For the moment being I find so many controversies in diabetes. So some among type 2s get eventually to insulin coz their pancreas is not producing insulin. Type 1s get it straightaway.The thing about all known causes is that none of them provides exact mechanism how it happens so these are just the hypothesis.
You say for example that you exercise and keep low carb diet but what I heard for the moment being is that it is more for Type 2s but if it helps you that it is applicable to all! So as I said so many controversies.
Thank you again! It is so nice to get a support from a person how went through it and has so much experience!!!

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Steve: :)

Sorry, to hear that you were dxd. Yes, it is unfortunate to be dxd. with a disease like Type 1 with no known cause and then no known cure. Some Type 2's have the same problem. I don't blame you for feeling overwhelmed. It is a rough and complicated disease. For many, good control of it can be illusive even at the Best of times. But it definitely can be done.

Actually, it is Type 2 Diabetes that has skyrocketed. Type 1 is still only 5-10 percent of the Diabetes population.

Type 2 glucose control can be managed without drugs for many years by exercise and diet. But not Type 1.

What are your daily blood sugar tests like? Since you were recently dxd., you still have Insulin being secreted from your pancreas which would help to keep your sugar levels down. This will not last for a long period of time. Good luck with your learning and treatment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Terrie,
thanks for support.
Yeah, the more I learn the more I understand that everything will depend on me. Still so much info is coming in...
My BG levels are currently 170 at fasting. As I understood I am lucky to learn early about smth going wrong with my body.
With such dramaric spread of diabetes checking BG should become mandatory for everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.