The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

just wanted to introduce myself and give a little bit of background on my time with diabetes....

As you might guess, my name is Steve and I’ll be hitting the big 4-0 this year. I was diagnosed with type two diabetes a few years back, which I mostly got under control with a low carb diet and lots of exercise. Naturally, that didn’t last forever. Back in July of 2019, things hit the fan for me personally: my father passed away, my mom fell in their garage and couldn’t get up, and she was much further down the path of dementia than I had previously expected. Suffice it to say, I stress are my way back up to 215lbs, though I was still at least getting a fair amount of exercise.

Then the pandemic came... I had actually quasi-retired to work on taking care of my mom’s affairs and spend time with her. Of course, that plan went down the crapper since nursing homes all locked down. Instead I got to manage my sons’ virtual education, which mostly meant a lot of lazy time for me.

Over the course of the last year, my diabetes control went from bad to worse. Symptoms like burning in my feet started cropping up. Then one day I had a nighttime attack where I suddenly lost some feeling in the toes of my left foot. That was enough to scare me a straight.

I restarted a low carb diet (aiming for 50 net a day), which helped relieve the burning sensations. However, when I finally measured my blood sugar after a month of dieting, I found it was still way too high, mostly hovering between 180-200.

I have now entered Phase II: total war. Carbs are cut further to ~20g a day ala the keto diet, and exercise is back on the table (weights, stationary cycle, walking, etc). I’m also consuming enough water for an elephant, which helps with my snacking problem.

After a relatively short period of this, things are finally improving. BG before bed last night weighed in at 130, and this AM at 157. Obviously I still have plenty of work to do (about 40 pounds of lard that I’m sure doesn’t help anything), but progress is progress.

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
Welcome, Steve!

This past year has been a tough one -- even tougher for caregivers like you. You've had a lot of company in challenges to managing your diabetes. But it sounds like you have a handle on it now.

Progress is progress and we're looking forward to hearing about your success and helping you out over the rough spots. I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from you.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Hi Steve81, welcome to the forum.

Diabetes is a slow sneaky disease, both coming and going. Once you become aware of having problems they don't just quickly go away. Durn wouldn't it be nice if they did? I think that is what gets to a lot of people though, expecting quick results and it not happening. Having a good plan and sticking with it will pay off but it takes persistence.. Hopefully we can offer the support you need to maintain the persistence.

Reactions: Steve81

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Support is always appreciated!

The funny part is how this new phase started... I was visiting the in laws with the wife and kids, and doing a little shopping at Walmart for vitamins and something other than Atkins shakes I had brought along to consume while I was there. I noticed a ReliOn meter for $20, and what the heck, right? Let's see what a month and a half of restricting carbs down to 50g/day does. All I had that morning was a shake, so I figured, no problem. BG over 200. Convinced this was a crock, I had my wife test hers. She had waffles with syrup and powdered sugar for her breakfast of champions. Her BG was in the 90s. While she mostly eats whatever I cook, she gets her pizza, buns on her burgers, fries, etc. while I apparently smell these things and my BG goes up. I believe my words were "f*** your 90". Still convinced the meter was a POS, I ordered more strips for my OneTouch at home...yeah, the numbers went marginally higher. Just great...

So, desperate times, desperate measures. A 2000 cal/day diet, aiming for 20g net carbs (landed at a whopping 24 today), 80 mins/day on the stationary bike and other obligations (mowing the lawn, getting the kids out to do something besides play video games), etc. Fortunately, some parts of it aren't really that hard. I don't like bacon and eggs for lunch, I love bacon and eggs for lunch. Using an Atkins shake as coffee creamer for some morning nutrition isn't any sweat off my back either since I'm prone to skipping breakfast anyway. It's the lack of midnight snacking and things like watching the wife and kids on pizza night that suck. However...motivation is also there. The foot problems were a not so subtle reminder of my uncle who had a BKA (and kidney problems among other things) thanks to diabetes. If this is what I need to do to keep my foot...well yeah, I'll do it. I like my feet where they are.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
I always start my days with a cup of coffee and it's about 500-600 kcal. I put a scoop (1/32 tsp) of pure stevia powder, 1 heaped tbsp, of cacao powder. 1 tbsp great lakes collagen (green can), and 1/2 tsp ceylon cinnamon in a mug and put it under the Keurig and set it for 14 ounce cup. When its thru dripping I stir it with 1 1/2-2 tbsp chunk of butter on the knife, then stir in 1 or 2 tbsp MCT oil, 1 heaping tbsp coconut oil, and 4-5 tbsp of heavy whipping cream. I don't normally eat breakfast and can easily skip lunch if I have a project goig on and can keep myself busy.

My big motivator is realizing that food is just fuel, and no food taste good enough that it is worth losing a kidney, my eyesight, a foot, or even a toe over. I guess what i miss most that I have given up eating is a flakey buttery biscuit for sopping up the egg yolk for over-medium fried eggs.

Reactions: Steve81

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Welcome Steve! This forum is great for knowledge and support. I hope you stick around. Check out the recipe forum if you need mealtime inspiration.
Like you, I like my feet! My mother was a diabetic and kept her feet, but lost the use of them. Like your uncle, she was not a good diabetes role model, but she was a warning beacon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts