The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I was not aware my previous post should have been an introduction.

Hello all, my name is Laurel
I have been a diabetic for about 24 years.
Up to about one year ago I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic.

After my PREVIOUS endocrinologist had me on Ozempic and my weight drop from 115lbs to 99 lbs I told him I wanted off this medication. It was not making any impact to my A1c and I could not afford to lose any additional weight. He said, "woman; they are never satisfied".
That comment was the "straw that broke the camels back"!!!

I found another endocrinologist and explained to her how frustrated I was, as I was very strict with my diet but
I couldn't get my A1c down, it always averaged between 7.3- 7.8.
She had me go for some GAD65 tests to see if I had antibodies' and if I was a type 1.5 diabetic (LADA).
And sure enough, I had been diagnosed incorrectly for the past 23 years.
I WAS a 1.5 diabetic (LADA)!!

Her clue was that I was always a slender for my height (5'4") and no matter what I did, nothing seemed to help.
She put me on Insulin and my A1c dropped to 6.3.
I will always be grateful to my new endocrinologist for actually listening to me and being knowledgeable.

I want to mention on this post,
When it comes to your health, you are your best advocate.
It is OK to question your doctor and educate yourself on your diabetes.
This forum is an excellent source of information.
I have found; You tube videos also provide really good information on everything from eating healthy, medications, and an understanding on all types of Diabetes.

I am looking forward to getting even more educated on my diabetes through this forum.

·
Administrator
2,619 Posts
Thanks, Laurel!

We don't have a requirement for an introductory post here, but we encourage it as a way for other members of the community to get to know you and to help us help you in your diabetes journey.

You are so right that we are our own best advocates. Many of us have charted our own path rather than follow the well-trodden one and have the good results to show for it. I'm looking forward to seeing more about your experiences in future posts!

·
Super Moderator
10,486 Posts
Welcome to the forum Laurel.

I think your new endo is a keeper, glad you found her.

Many have been misdiagnosed early on as Type 2, only to find out later that they are LADA. It should be standard protocol to test for Type1/1.5 upon diagnosis in case antibodies are present and if Type 2 medications are not or stop managing a patients BG. There are several other tests that can be run in addition to the GAD antibodies. It wouldn't be 100%, antibodies are not always present early on, being in the honeymoon stage would make it appear that Type 2 meds are working, and eating keto does a good job minimizing insulin needs for all Types.

I agree with all your mentions and look forward to hearing more from you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts