The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new here. I was diagnosed with T2 23 years ago. I started out on pills only, now I'm on insulin, with a pump.

See Ya,
John

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi There John: :)

Hey, 23 years with Type 2. That's a long haul. Good work! I'm surprised you started off on pills back then. Even today many Dr.'s just put their patients on diet, exercise and weight-loss. It seems to work for many.

Ya, the pills work for some Type 2's for many years. Some Dr.'s today put their Patients on Insulin right off. How do you like your pump? What type do you have? Welcome!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi There John: :)How do you like your pump? What type do you have? Welcome!
I love he pump, no more multiple shots per day, just every 3 days when it's time to change my set, and my insulin cartridge.

I have the Animas Ping pump.

See Ya,
John

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I love he pump, no more multiple shots per day, just every 3 days when it's time to change my set, and my insulin cartridge.

I have the Animas Ping pump.

See Ya,
John

Hi John:

Oh you have the Ping. That one or the Omni is not available where I live yet. I'm Glad that the Ping is working Well for you though.

If you like, you could start a thread up in the Pumpers Section and tell us why you Love the Ping. We'd appreciate it for others who may want one. We've had several asking about which pump they should choose. I'm still in the state of "Should I or shouldn't I, get a pump".

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi John: :)

I just noticed that you and Jaye have somewhat of similar circumstances. Gee, I'm sorry to hear of your heart attack. I'm especially Glad then, that you are doing Well on your pump.

Thank you for helping us with your information. My oldest Brother had many strokes and several heart attacks but I never knew exactly what happened since he lived farther away. I'm pretty sure that neither he nor my younger Brother understood the intricacies of Diabetes.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey John....Great photo. Are you Really tall or is your Wife Really short? :D Were you a football player? Just wondering.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey John....Great photo. Are you Really tall or is your Wife Really short? :D Were you a football player? Just wondering.
Both, I'm 6'4, and she's 5'2. Yes, I played football many years ago, but nothing to write home about. I played high school, and some college, until I had my right knee taken out.

Now I'm bionic, I have two artificial hips (one almost 20 years ago, and one ten years ago), and two artificial knees (recent).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
john said:
Now I'm bionic, I have two artificial hips (one almost 20 years ago, and one ten years ago), and two artificial knees (recent).
Holy Cod! Ouchie!! Sounds like you've been through the wringer. I bet you thought at one point, "Shoot! I wish I had taken up Dentistry instead of Football".

Well, my Cousin is also Bionic and quite Happy to have his joint replacements needed due to severe RA. I hope that you feel Good with your new joints also. Some People I've talked to on the net wish they hadn't had the replacements done. So I'm not looking forward to it in the future, if necessary.

john said:
Both, I'm 6'4, and she's 5'2. Yes, I played football many years ago, but nothing to write home about. I played high school, and some college, until I had my right knee taken out.

ROFL!! :D Gee, what a surprise. I dated a Guy(National Defense) who was 6'5" and I'm 5' 2 and a proud 1/2". I'm not a Mathematician( like Richard)but I just had a thought that it wouldn't add up. :D When he leaned waaaay down to kiss me, I felt like a Kid. Well, actually I was at age 16 but anyways. I didn't get any taller. :D

I'm Glad that your Relationship works for you. That's sooo Important.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy Cod! Ouchie!! Sounds like you've been through the wringer. I bet you thought at one point, "Shoot! I wish I had taken up Dentistry instead of Football".
Nope, I never did. Besides, I wanted to be a veterinarian when I was younger. Instead I ended up in driver sales for 31 years, and I loved every year of it, except the last one, when my company went from being a family, to the employees are just a number. That's when I retired.

Well, my Cousin is also Bionic and quite Happy to have his joint replacements needed due to severe RA. I hope that you feel Good with your new joints also. Some People I've talked to on the net wish they hadn't had the replacements done. So I'm not looking forward to it in the future, if necessary.
New joints are a piece of cake, I waited to long for my first hip, and when I found out how east they were, I was at the hospital at 4:00am for a 7:00am appointment, telling them to just put me to sleep, and wake me up when it's done for my second one. The same went for my knees, I had them done 6 month apart. The knees don't heal quite as fast as the knees though.

I would assume that the people on the net who say that they wouldn't have it done again, tried to do to much to soon. My wife had an Uncle, and a Cousin like that, and they both tried to do to much to soon.

ROFL!! :D Gee, what a surprise. I dated a Guy(National Defense) who was 6'5" and I'm 5' 2 and a proud 1/2". I'm not a Mathematician( like Richard)but I just had a thought that it wouldn't add up. :D When he leaned waaaay down to kiss me, I felt like a Kid. Well, actually I was at age 16 but anyways. I didn't get any taller. :D

I'm Glad that your Relationship works for you. That's sooo Important.
Yes, it's worked out quite well, in December we'll have been married for 24 years. That's a lot longer than my first marriage, that produced 2 boys. They are 39, and 31.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Well, that's Good to hear from you. You are probably correct on them getting back to business too soon. All surgeries have a recovery range and physical therapy which some People ignore.

Hmmm....you must be my "alter ego". I was going to say Vet but then I thought, "No, Dentistry is more excruciating and vital to us". :)

john said:
Yes, it's worked out quite well, in December we'll have been married for 24 years. That's a lot longer than my first marriage, that produced 2 boys. They are 39, and 31.
That's a Good long Relationship. Nice to hear it. Congrats! I know if I was not in a Good Relationship, then I would be depressed or want out of it, if it couldn't be made "liveable". Depression normally leads to a Person not caring about their Diabetes or other conditions that they may have. Thus loss of Diabetes control.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are probably correct on them getting back to business too soon. All surgeries have a recovery range and physical therapy which some People ignore.
Yes, her Uncle races Horses. He had a hip done, and went to work with the horses in the mud, and stepped wrong, and got his leg caught in the mud, and pulled it out, you can guess what happened. Her cousin is in the rock business, Large rocks, and he just went back to work to soon, lifting large rocks.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Geez, no wonder they didn't recover properly and are in pain. Poor Guys anyways. I don't wish that pain on anyone.

One of the People I spoke to decided that clearing land of trees and brushes,(with hand tools)for his Sister when her Hubby decides to build a home on the land, was a Good physical therapy. (run-on sentence)

Most likely, none of these People will be advised to get the same surgery again to relieve the pain. I'm not sure of that, of course.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of the People I spoke to decided that clearing land of trees and brushes,(with hand tools)for his Sister when her Hubby decides to build a home on the land, was a Good physical therapy.
Wrong.

Most likely, none of these People will be advised to get the same surgery again to relieve the pain.
Ellen's Uncle did have the surgery again, and got a new hip, but because of what he did, it was complete bed rest until it healed. Now he gets around in a motorized wheel chair. Like a Jazzy.

Her Cousin is still in pain.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Ellen's Uncle did have the surgery again, and got a new hip, but because of what he did, it was complete bed rest until it healed. Now he gets around in a motorized wheel chair. Like a Jazzy.
Well, it's Good to hear that he was able to get another replacement. I hope that he experiences zero pain due to it afterwards.

A Jazzy? That's the newer chair, isn't it? My Hubby was loaned a Tracer II, after his motorcycle accident. Cool chair. Amazing speed.

I hope that her Cousin is able to receive the surgery also. Darn shame that these happen.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, it's Good to hear that he was able to get another replacement. I hope that he experiences zero pain due to it afterwards.
I don't know about pain, but he can't get around without his chair. And all because he wouldn't let the hip heal.

A Jazzy? That's the newer chair, isn't it?
Look her:

Jazzy Power Chairs - Choose the Best Jazzy Power Chair for Your Mobility Needs

Her Cousin will never get another hip, he just goes around in pain.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts