The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Jennifer and was told that I have full blown diabetes on the 23rd of April. My a1c is 6.1 and my doctor decided that she wasn't going to diagnose me with prediabetes she is calling me full blown diabetes. I had asked her if there is any medication's or shot's that I need to be on and she said no and that has me a little concerned because I had gestational diabetes twice and my grandfather also had diabetes and passed away from being a diabetic.

I'm thinking of calling my doctor tomorrow and asking what type of diabetes am I and why I'm not on any medication/shots. I am on a strict diet and they want me to take 5 different supplements that we just can't afford when medication and insulin is covered by my insurance.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jennifer

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That does seem a bit strange Walmart has a BG tester for ~$29 with 50 strips. Id test before a meal 1 hour after and 2 hours after take those readings to the MD.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm Jennifer and was told that I have full blown diabetes on the 23rd of April. My a1c is 6.1 and my doctor decided that she wasn't going to diagnose me with prediabetes she is calling me full blown diabetes. I had asked her if there is any medication's or shot's that I need to be on and she said no and that has me a little concerned because I had gestational diabetes twice and my grandfather also had diabetes and passed away from being a diabetic.

I'm thinking of calling my doctor tomorrow and asking what type of diabetes am I and why I'm not on any medication/shots. I am on a strict diet and they want me to take 5 different supplements that we just can't afford when medication and insulin is covered by my insurance.

Jennifer
Hello Jennifer and welcome. It sounds to me like you are most likely type 2, but your doctor can tell you for sure. Personally I dont care for the "pre-diabetic" that some medical professional use. In my opinion thats like saying someone is "pre-pregnant". You either are...or you arent. But thats another discussion altogether :)

Initially many type 2's can be controlled via diet and exercise. Type 2 is a progressive disease. In the early stages it is best to manage it as long as you can without pancreas stimulating medications. The longer you can go without wearing out those beta cells in your pancreas the better. Type 2 diabetics initially do produce insulin although it is usually a lower amount. What is the common thing among T2's is something called insulin resistance. Meaning your body is not able to use the insulin properly that you have to move the glucose into your cells where it belongs. This results in a high level of glucose in your blood. The "gold standard" medication for T2's is metformin. Metformin does not stimulate the pancreas directly, it works on lowering your insulin resistance. If you are going to ask about medications, I would ask about that one as it can be the most helpful at this stage. Other things that will help your resistance are regular exercise and if you have a few pounds to lose, lose them. Even a 10% weight loss can make a big difference.

There is a specific test that can be done (a c-peptide) that will determine if your pancreas is producing insulin on its own. If you are not producing enough for your body's needs, there are many oral drugs that stimulate the pancreas to produce more. These drugs are very benefical to the people that need them. Personally, I started out on diet and exercise alone for a couple of years. Then I had to move on to oral meds. Different combinations of oral drugs helped me for years. As with a lot of T2's, however, my beta have eventually failed me and now I am insulin dependent. The good news is that doesent happen to all T2's...but we are all different and you sort of make your own mileage here :)

Your diet choices are going to be the most important thing you can do to control your blood sugar. If you have not seen a certified diabetic educator I would strongly suggest it. Check with your doctors office and see if they have one available or know where to send you for one. Are you seeing a general MD for your diabetes or an endocrinologist? I highly recommend the endocrinologist. General MDs in my opinion are usually not aggressive enough in treatment, nor are they usually up to date on most recent treatment trends.

It is important to watch your carbohydrate intake. Carbs turn to sugar after you eat them. That nice healthy baked potato can be just as hard on your blood sugar as a piece of chocolate cake. A good starting place is to limit your carbs at breakfast to 30grams, and 45 each for lunch and dinner. Some people can handle more...some people need less. The only way to really tell how your body is handling it is to test your blood sugar around meals. Most insurance will cover meters and testing supplies. My insurance covers my strips 100%, some will cover them partially. You just need your MD to write you a prescription for the meter and strips.

Sorry, I know this got long winded....but there is so much info that is going to help you get control of this. People here have been so friendly and helpful so I am sure you are going to get lots of good advice :) Feel free to ask anything you need....we are all here to help each other out. Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Jennifer. I'm glad you found us, but I'm sorry you needed us, if that makes any sense.

I'm leery of the pre-diabetic diagnosis too, so I think your doc makes sense in calling it full-blown diabetes. However, she should be working more closely with you & your insurance so that the brunt of this doesn't hit your pocketbook. That stress alone is going to elevate your BGs, at least it would mine.

If you haven't already called her, I hope you will do so, and as Pam says, mention metformin. It is indeed the gold standard and the first line of defense for type 2s. And if type 1s develop insulin resistance, it works for them too. If you have any weight to lose, I've found that met also curbs my appetite, so I'm a great believer in metformin.

Keep us posted on how things are going . . . this is never an easy transition, but we've all been through it, so if it helps to have empathetic friends, we're sure here for you!

take care,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi! My name is Michele. I am 35 years old. Went to the doctor in March for a regular check up. I went for a glucose test because my sugar was a little high. Fasting:76; 1st hour 170, 2nd hr 219= glucose test. A1C is 6.1.

My question is 6.0 or under is normal. What exactly is 6.1. Should I really be taking Metaformin 500 mg 2x day?

Has anyone had any side effects from Metaformin?

Thanks,

Michele:eek:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Michele . . . I've been on metformin for about a year. I had a few days of gastric side effects from it, but that subsided & I've been good with it ever since. It regulates my BG & also curbs my appetite, so I've had some gradual weight loss, which also helps my diabetes/insulin resistance. It doesn't kick in right away - usually takes several days or weeks to reach maximum blood levels. It's a great help to me.

Your A1c of 6.1 converts to an average of about 140 bg, and it does require some treatment like metformin to help your body move the glucose into the cells where it can be converted to energy. The best thing about metformin is that it isn't poking the pancreas to produce more insulin - it's working to reduce insulin resistance.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The gastric side effects of metformin are very common, most people experience them. They do subside though. Your body sort of gets used to it and they go away. I have been taking metformin for many years with no ill effects. I take 1000mg twice a day. It really helps keep my resistance at a manageable level.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You Everyone

I did ask my doctor what type of diabetes that I have and I am on type 2 still not on medication trying to control through diet and I'm not doing very well dieting. I have stopped drinking Dr. Pepper and went to Diet Coke or Sprite Zero and that is a big plus for me. Blood sugar levels are still in the 140's but I'm not dieting well and I can't seem to get motivated to excersize(?). I thought maybe if I start watching The Biggest Looser I can get motivated.

I don't even have to go to the park to walk, I can walk around our 5 acres of property we have, I would have to do it very early in the morning cause it is already getting hot here in Oklahoma.

I just need motivation and stick with it and you all suggest that I get put on medication for my diabetes again they wanted me to be on 6 different supplements which is well over $100.00 and that would put a hole in our pocketbook (dh doesn't make that much money and I'm a stay at home mom with more health issues than diabetes.

I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Jennifer

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did ask my doctor what type of diabetes that I have and I am on type 2 still not on medication trying to control through diet and I'm not doing very well dieting. I have stopped drinking Dr. Pepper and went to Diet Coke or Sprite Zero and that is a big plus for me. Blood sugar levels are still in the 140's but I'm not dieting well and I can't seem to get motivated to excersize(?). I thought maybe if I start watching The Biggest Looser I can get motivated.

I don't even have to go to the park to walk, I can walk around our 5 acres of property we have, I would have to do it very early in the morning cause it is already getting hot here in Oklahoma.

I just need motivation and stick with it and you all suggest that I get put on medication for my diabetes again they wanted me to be on 6 different supplements which is well over $100.00 and that would put a hole in our pocketbook (dh doesn't make that much money and I'm a stay at home mom with more health issues than diabetes.

I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Jennifer
Jennifer if you do not start taking care of yourself now then the cost of the complications that will arrise from the diabetes by itself not counting other medical issues you may have will make any money problems now seem really insignificant.

So hopefully that will give you a little motivation to start taking care of yourself.

Oh also...Diet Dr. Pepper is not too bad either if you are a Dr. Pepper nut like I am.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
This is the minimum knowledge you need, it will give a starting point.

Your diabetic, your pancreas no longer controls your Blood Sugar Levels BGL, So…You need to control your BGL.

It can be done
your tools

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BGL
especially fast acting carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar (eating a bowl of mashed potato is worse than eating bowl of sugar as far as BGL goes.)

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BGL.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BSL

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… test you BGL before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat, this gives you your BGL spike for the food. Test 2 hours after you eat your BGL should be going down. test before exercise test after exercise.
Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods. So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jennifer if you do not start taking care of yourself now then the cost of the complications that will arrise from the diabetes by itself not counting other medical issues you may have will make any money problems now seem really insignificant.

So hopefully that will give you a little motivation to start taking care of yourself.

Oh also...Diet Dr. Pepper is not too bad either if you are a Dr. Pepper nut like I am.

Thank Pie Rat, like you I am a Dr. Pepper nut I have at least quit drinking that. Wasn't to keen on Diet Dr. Pepper. I either like Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi or Sprite Zero. My mil is telling me that diet soda is still bad for you is this true.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If it's a choice between regular and diet soda, for YOU the regular soda is the worst. Nevermind what your MIL says - you're the one in charge of your diabetes. I just wish your medical team would cooperate a little better with you in prescribing what your insurance will cover. Not sure why they keep pushing those expensive supplements unless they're selling them to you themselves. Are they doing that?

·
Registered
148 Posts

Jennifer
Welcome Jennifer, :) if you don't mind me asking, what supplements did they tell you to take? Also, some pharmacies have Metformin for free.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank Pie Rat, like you I am a Dr. Pepper nut I have at least quit drinking that. Wasn't to keen on Diet Dr. Pepper. I either like Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi or Sprite Zero. My mil is telling me that diet soda is still bad for you is this true.
I am sure diet soda is probably not the healthiest drink we could have, heck probably everything but pure water has its bad side.

In saying that though. I will drink a diet soda instead of ingesting all the sugar from a normal soda anyday.

Also in saying that I do need to cut back myself LOL. I am a caffiene-a-holic! :becky:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am sure diet soda is probably not the healthiest drink we could have, heck probably everything but pure water has its bad side.

In saying that though. I will drink a diet soda instead of ingesting all the sugar from a normal soda anyday.

Also in saying that I do need to cut back myself LOL. I am a caffiene-a-holic! :becky:
Me too! I cant live without my caffeine. My favorite is diet cherry coke zero. I prefer the coke zero to regular diet coke. I also like diet A&W root beer. Also, being the southerner that I am....I must have my daily intake of unsweetened iced tea or life just isn't worth living :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Me too! I cant live without my caffeine. My favorite is diet cherry coke zero. I prefer the coke zero to regular diet coke. I also like diet A&W root beer. Also, being the southerner that I am....I must have my daily intake of unsweetened iced tea or life just isn't worth living :)
I started to say....a southern belle without her iced tea?!?!??! :eek:

I agree! I like a lot of the different herbal teas out there as well, but that new "cold brew" lipton tea is great for the office. Can just put a couple of those bags in a pitcher here at my desk and wala after 5 minutes I have fresh brewed tea without having to boil water.

So as much as I know I need to drink more plain water I still pretty much am 90/10 (caffienated drinks / water).

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I guess most of my choices are caffeinated too, when I stop to think about it . . . I'm chagrined to admit that I'm bad about drinking plain water too, and we have the best tasting well water.

I'll have to look for the cool brew Lipton . . . that sounds good. I go through a lot of green tea too. Not too big on carbonated drinks, but one of the kids left a bottle of diet Dr. Pepper in the fridge this weekend, and I'd forgotten how much I used to enjoy Dr. P. I do have trouble getting enough fluids - I just don't think about it until I get thirsty, and by that time it's a little late to be playing catchup!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess most of my choices are caffeinated too, when I stop to think about it . . . I'm chagrined to admit that I'm bad about drinking plain water too, and we have the best tasting well water.

I'll have to look for the cool brew Lipton . . . that sounds good. I go through a lot of green tea too. Not too big on carbonated drinks, but one of the kids left a bottle of diet Dr. Pepper in the fridge this weekend, and I'd forgotten how much I used to enjoy Dr. P. I do have trouble getting enough fluids - I just don't think about it until I get thirsty, and by that time it's a little late to be playing catchup!
Shanny here is a link on it. The stuff is great!

Lipton Cold Brew

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I started to say....a southern belle without her iced tea?!?!??! :eek:

I agree! I like a lot of the different herbal teas out there as well, but that new "cold brew" lipton tea is great for the office. Can just put a couple of those bags in a pitcher here at my desk and wala after 5 minutes I have fresh brewed tea without having to boil water.

So as much as I know I need to drink more plain water I still pretty much am 90/10 (caffienated drinks / water).
Hmm I havent tried the cold brew..I have to go to the store and get dog food before my dog chews my leg off so I will pick some up...thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts