The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am a newly-diagnosed diabetic. I am 41 years old with a strong family history of tye 2 diabetes. The way that I learned about my diagnosis is that I was having terrible burning and pain in my feet. I also gained 45 lbs in about a year. The MD checked my blood levels (I think it's called HB1C) and it was 6.2. I am taking 500 mg of metformin at night and about 300 mg of gabapentin daily (1 in the am and 2 at night). I also take something called mantex (I think that's the name), It's supposed to reverse the nerve damage to my feet. I have joined Weight Watchers to try and lose some weight because I feel terrible. I go back to my PCP on tomorrow afternoon. I hope I have lost some weight. Oh well, just wanted to introduce myself and get/give some support to others with this diagnosis.

swgirl

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi everyone. I am a newly-diagnosed diabetic. I am 41 years old with a strong family history of tye 2 diabetes. The way that I learned about my diagnosis is that I was having terrible burning and pain in my feet. I also gained 45 lbs in about a year. The MD checked my blood levels (I think it's called HB1C) and it was 6.2. I am taking 500 mg of metformin at night and about 300 mg of gabapentin daily (1 in the am and 2 at night). I also take something called mantex (I think that's the name), It's supposed to reverse the nerve damage to my feet. I have joined Weight Watchers to try and lose some weight because I feel terrible. I go back to my PCP on tomorrow afternoon. I hope I have lost some weight. Oh well, just wanted to introduce myself and get/give some support to others with this diagnosis.

swgirl
Hello and welcome to Diabetes Forum! I am T2 and was diagnosed at age 40. I also have neuropathy. I am currently taking Gabapentin but I am tapering off of it and I will be switching to Lyrica. I am a Weight Watchers lifetime member who needs to go back and shed some weight. I hope you have time to visit the forum often.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, swgirl, and thank you for joining us. Getting together like this makes it so much easier for all of us walking this walk - support from others who understand is really priceless. My own diagnosis came about a year ago. Looking forward to getting better acquainted.

Take care and do hurry back!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and welcome to Diabetes Forum! I am T2 and was diagnosed at age 40. I also have neuropathy. I am currently taking Gabapentin but I am tapering off of it and I will be switching to Lyrica. I am a Weight Watchers lifetime member who needs to go back and shed some weight. I hope you have time to visit the forum often.
Thanks Breezeonby. I plan to visit here often.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

swgirl
Welcome swgirl! Glad you found us. I am a 45 year old T2 diabetic. I was diagnosed when I was 16. Weight watchers works if you give it a chance. I lost 96 pounds using it 3 years ago. I only gained back 20 of it, so I cant complain. Recently I lost 6 of that, so I hope I am on a downward trend again :) Feel free to join in conversations and ask anything you like :)

Looking forward to getting to know you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts