The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my name is ryan and i have recently started dating a girl with type 1 diabetes. she is very open about everything having to do with her diabetes. i decide to join this forum to learn what i can. i feel it is important for me to be an active in diabetes education.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have to be honset i need to learn about everything. a perfect example of my lack of knowledge would be, what does a1c 6.9 mean? she is young and even though she knows i don't think she has an understanding of how to teach me. she is 20 and i am 37.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tks Joe! i apreciate all the help! i have enjoyed reading post here and plan on spending a considerable amoount of time here!
Ryan

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As someone with diabetes I can tell you that one of the things that I most appreciate in my girlfriend is her willingness and desire to learn about my disease. I hope we can help you out and that you will visit often.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Team work in my opinion is one of the best things a person with diabetes can have. The little things my wife does as for cooking and keeping the snacks out of house out of site is great. If you both doing and eating the same things it sure helps.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
my name is ryan and i have recently started dating a girl with type 1 diabetes. she is very open about everything having to do with her diabetes. i decide to join this forum to learn what i can. i feel it is important for me to be an active in diabetes education.
Hello and :welcome: to the forum! That is great that you want to learn about your friend's disease. There is alot to be learned here on the forum. Read up and ask away, we'll do the best that we can to answer your questions, and remember there are no stupid questions. Hoping that you can visit often and take care!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tks for the welcome Josh! i plan on being a very active partner and learning everything i can about diabetes. i myself have epilepsy and i know what it is like to be diagnosed at a young age. i plan on being supportive and extremely active in maintaing a healthy lifestyle! thank you in advance for any information in the future!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tks for the welcome Breezonby! i plan on being a very active partner and learning everything i can about diabetes. i myself have epilepsy and i know what it is like to be diagnosed at a young age. i plan on being supportive and extremely active in maintaing a healthy lifestyle! thank you in advance for any information in the future! i agree that there are no stupid questions. i say that all the time!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tks shanny. Katie does know that i have joined the forum and i can promise that we will both be on here together. i would like her to join and make her own profile but from what i have read so far is not to push her. so that is the approch i am going to take. i think that eventually she will join on her own.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome, it is nice that you are willing to learn more about her disease. There are lots of misconceptions out there about diabetes. HbA1c measures the amount of glycation or sugar coating on the blood molecules. Since our blood is always replensishing, it takes about 3 months for your blood supply to be replaced. So this is where the 3 month average comes in. When you eat things high in carbs and your bg stays high too long, the extra glucose that is not pushed into cells to be used sticks to the blood molecules. Diabetics are always testing their bg to make sure the medication or insulin and the amount of food they are eating is correct. It is a very magageable disease. Does your girl friend use a pump or injections?

G

·
welcome Ryan - what a wonderful thing you're doing taking time to learn all about your girlfriends condition.... she will sure appreciate it. Someone mentioned teamwork makes all the difference... I agree it has to be a good thing. I don't have that option... I manage my condition on my own and I can tell you that sometimes I think it would be nice to have someone looking out for me. Keep up the learning and I'm sure you will have a head full of knowledge in no time. The best thing though is to learn what symptoms are for hypo's, etc... so you can also be on the alert to make sure your gf is safe. I'm still trying to teach that to ppl around me regularly and they often still miss when I'm having hypo as they haven't recognised signs. :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Ryan, how long has Katie had diabetes? Does she take her insulin shots on a regular basis, and does she use carb counting to determine her dosages? Please ask her that. It is important.

I have been type 1 for 65 years and I am very healthy. If Katie has good control and works to bring her A1c below 6.5, and keeps it there, she has a very good chance of having a long, healthy life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
she has had diabetes for about 2-3 years. she does take her insulin shots on a regular basis but i don't think she use a carb counter. most of the time she does some calculations in her head. i don't know if this right or wrong and i also don't feel like it is my place to tell her what to do. once i become more educated i think i will be able to have more inteligent conversations with her. i also don't want to push her. i know for a fact that she doesn't keep track of her #'s but again hopefully as i learn more i can talk to her about it more. thank you for any information in the future! everyone here has been extremely helpfull!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome, it is nice that you are willing to learn more about her disease. There are lots of misconceptions out there about diabetes. HbA1c measures the amount of glycation or sugar coating on the blood molecules. Since our blood is always replensishing, it takes about 3 months for your blood supply to be replaced. So this is where the 3 month average comes in. When you eat things high in carbs and your bg stays high too long, the extra glucose that is not pushed into cells to be used sticks to the blood molecules. Diabetics are always testing their bg to make sure the medication or insulin and the amount of food they are eating is correct. It is a very magageable disease. Does your girl friend use a pump or injections?
i know for a fact that she does not track her #'s and that is something that i am going to try to get her to work on writing down so i can get a better understanding of where she is at. she uses injections

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
welcome Ryan - what a wonderful thing you're doing taking time to learn all about your girlfriends condition.... she will sure appreciate it. Someone mentioned teamwork makes all the difference... I agree it has to be a good thing. I don't have that option... I manage my condition on my own and I can tell you that sometimes I think it would be nice to have someone looking out for me. Keep up the learning and I'm sure you will have a head full of knowledge in no time. The best thing though is to learn what symptoms are for hypo's, etc... so you can also be on the alert to make sure your gf is safe. I'm still trying to teach that to ppl around me regularly and they often still miss when I'm having hypo as they haven't recognised signs. :)[/QUOTE i don't think that she has ever had a boyfriend that took as much intrest in her diabetes as i am so i think it is a little bit shocking to her but team work will absolutely benifit her in the long run! i am learning the symptons and i do pay close attention to how she feels. she has a pretty good grasp on what her body is doing and when she needs to eat or take her insulin. she needs to eat better and start excersizing! of course that has to come on her own free will so all i can do is hopefully set a good example for her.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i know for a fact that she does not track her #'s and that is something that i am going to try to get her to work on writing down so i can get a better understanding of where she is at. she uses injections
Find out what type of meter she uses and ask to see it and learn how to look at her readings, then you can write them down and can see what is going on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Find out what type of meter she uses and ask to see it and learn how to look at her readings, then you can write them down and can see what is going on.
i already know how to use her meter but we don't live together so it will be difficult for me to get all of her readings. i also don't want to ask her as i have read on many occasion that nagging her will only push her away. that i don't want to do. right now i am taking the slow and steady approach.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts