The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am from Istanbul and joined the forum. I am 58 years old. I have pre diabetes since 2007.

My HbA1c is 6.4 presently. I am trying to reduce it to normal levels by losing weight and by dieting.

I am 173 cm high, my weight is 80 kg. Presently I am on medication with 2 X 1000 mg Metformin per day.

I wish good luck to everyone in their struggle to overcome the diabetis.

Best regards.

Ernst

G

·
welcome Ernst... your HbA1c is looking good (better than mine). I notice you're on a high dose of Metformin.... how are you finding it? I hope you don't have any nasty side effects happening. If you're tolerating it and it's working for you... then it's the best drug to take. All the other drugs works on your pancreas.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Ernst. Thank you for joining us. Does you doctor still classify you as PRE-diabetic? Do you have an exercise program? What kinds of foods are you eating in order to lose weight? Tell us more about yourself! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear onlymep and dear Shanny,

I was first diagnosed in 2007 with a HbA1c of 6.4. My doctor first did not give me a medication and checked the HbA1c value after one year in 2008, it was again 6.5.

So I started to take Metformin with his advice, first 1000 mg daily, then raised to 2000 mg daily. In 2010 the HbA1c value dropped to 6.0. I was of course satisfied. Here a person with HbA1c value of above 6.0 is considered pre diabetic.

I have continued to take Metformin. I did not do any diet. But for the first time in my life I have recognised that I did not put on weight, although I did not diet at all. I have always had the overweight problem, so I did exactly know how much I would put on weight, if I wasn't careful with my eating. After analysing and investigating I learned that it was fully attributable to Metformin I was taking.

I have been visiting a sports center since August 2010 and am following a cardio program of three times 1 hour/ per week. It seems that I have too much relied upon the positive effect of sports on BS and Metformin on the HbA1c value, but I was mistaken.

My cardiologist, after seeing the 6.4 HbA1c value asked me yesterday, to immediately enter a low carb diet, lose at least 5 kg, monitor my BGL levels before and after meals. And if after three months the value would not sink below 6.0, he said he would prescribe me a second medication additional to Metformin.

Now I am trying to reduce my carbohydrate intake and lose a few kilos. I am not a big fan of potatoes, but I know that not eating rice and bread will hit me most.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello onlymep,

The nasty side effects of Metfomine were at the initial 2 - 3 month. Then they disappeared. I don't seem to have a problem presently with 2000 mg Metformin.

welcome Ernst... your HbA1c is looking good (better than mine). I notice you're on a high dose of Metformin.... how are you finding it? I hope you don't have any nasty side effects happening. If you're tolerating it and it's working for you... then it's the best drug to take. All the other drugs works on your pancreas.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am a full blown Type 2 with an HbA1c of 5.9. I take 2550 of metformin and feel it is a wonder drug. I also do a fairly low carb diet around 50 carbs a day and no processed food. Most days my bgs stay under 100. Hopefully my next HbA1c is in the low 5's.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Metformin has certainly been my saving grace too . . . it curbs my appetite very nicely. Long live metformin! :D :D :D

And Ernst? It looks like you & doc have this really well figured out . . . good luck to you and keep us posted. There's a lot of good low-carb advice on this forum!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts