The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just diagnosed with Type 1 this past November at the age of 24. I was hospitalized for three days with DKA and a BS of about 600. My A1C was over 12. It took me about 1.5 weeks to bring my blood sugar back to normal. It was a crazy experience getting diagnosed. I went to a urologist for "over active bladder" and he didn't realize it. I even told my uncle who is an MD of my symptoms (constant urination, blurry vision, inability to sleep) 4 days before I was hospitalized and he thought it was all caused by the stress of taking the LSAT and moving all in the same 3 weeks. Its amazing that I didn't even know the difference between T1 and T2 till I was in the hospital and now Diabetes is my life.

I have been on the dexcom for a week now and I use the contour USB which I think is great and easy to use. I am on Lantus and Humalog. I also take nettle, fenugreek, chromium, and cinnamon. I don't know if they help but I have heard a lot of good things.

it has been 3 months since i got out of the hospital and I am happy to say that the home A1C test I took yesterday is down to 5.3! Maybe thats because I keep my blood sugar as low as I safely can. My goal is usually below a hundred, low 90s or high 80s is ideal. My A1C goal is 4.8 and I know a lot of people say that is unreasonable for a diabetic but I think if you are diligent and monitor everything very closely you can keep it safe. In three months of learning, I have only had 2 hypoglycemic episodes (low 40s upper 30s) (one being today) and now that I think of it, a little due diligence could have prevented both.

Long story short, I am a 24 year old guy planning on going to law school and determined to live past 50!

thanks for all the great info,

AZ

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well hello, AZ! Keep on like you are, and you may as well set that goal to live past 90, cuz that's where you're headed! :D :D :D

Good to have you with us - thank you for joining us. Sorry to hear the pros you looked to for guidance didn't tumble to the obvious signs of diabetes - coulda saved you a few scary days of hospitalization.

You've taken control in a big way - congratulations! No reason you shouldn't live a long happy healthy life despite the company of this uninvited hitchhiker.

Do take care and visit us often - looking forward to getting better acquainted.

:welcome:

O

·
0 Posts
welcome AZ :) glad to hear you have got your A1c level right down... well done! Being newly diagnosed gives you plenty of motivation to do the right thing probably because of the shock. I'm T2 myself and was diagnosed as a 25yo 12 years ago. I started on diet/exercise to control BGLs, then a tonne of oral meds after that didn't work, but now that oral meds don't work on me... I have to inject insulin full time and I'm on Apidra and Lantus. Hopefully you can continue keeping up the good control... but I'm not one to tell people that the diabetes life is perfect and a bed of roses because in my experience it's not... you may have your ups and downs. But the main thing is to have the right attitude and keep on doing the best you know to do. You will find lots of support right here. Glad you've joined us... look forward to hearing your experiences, etc.

·
Registered
165 Posts
welcome to the site and great work getting your numbers in line. keep it up

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome! You seem to be under very good control, that's great! Type 1 diabetes can be very well controlled. It takes time and much patience, but you can have an almost normal lifestyle. I have been type 1 for 65 years and I am very healthy.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Richard

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi and :welcome: from me too! I'm a newbie to the forum, though I'm a chronic over-poster :D

See you around!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts