The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I came across this forum recently and found it to be very interesting. My 7 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes exactly one year ago today, so I thought it would be a good day to chime in a bit. This has obviously been quite a difficult year for our family, but our boy has done a tremendous job with everything and we are very proud of him. His younger brother has been great as well, keeping an eye on him while playing outside and never complains a bit about all of the changes in our house. we've been involved with the local JDRF chapter and was able to raise over $11,000 for our sons walk team, which earned us 1st place at the annual JDRF awards banquet. Everyone involved was very proud.

I've learned a lot about this disease over the past year and am constantly surfing the internet for the latest research towards a cure along with treatments to help with the daily struggles of type 1. I've read some of your posts about current research projects, but was interested in which you think may be the most promising. Being from the St. Louis area, one of the big stories recently posted around here was about a doctor from Washington University who was able to cure the disease in rats by transplanting pig islet cells. From what I understand, they are currently in the next phase and conducting the same type of studies on primates. A couple of the local news agencies ran stories on the project and it seems that things are still going well. Anyway, I’ve never posted on a blog before and am still learning as I go with all of this, but any information you could provide would be most appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you for joining us, chicomac, and hugs for your wee boy from this old granny! :)

Washington U. is a world leader in research/teaching/etc., and if a cure ever IS discovered, I can easily imagine them having a hand in it.

Take care and visit often!

:welcome:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
You are a hero for your son, and a very good parent! With you at the helm, he should do very well in the years ahead. That is wonderful that your family won the first prize in the JDRF fund raising campaign!!

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. After 65 years of type 1, I am healthy. With good control, your son can have a long, healthy life.

There is another site that might interest you. It was created fo parents of diabetic children. Here is the link:

children with DIABETES Online Community

Good luck to both of you!

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts