The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm hoping this forum will help me. My name is Kim ... Chicago living in SLC for a year. I guess it's a good thing that the UtaH DMV stopped me dead from continuing my bad eating habits with the threat of taking my driver's license away. If you have a medical problem here and you disclose, like I did, your MD needs to fill out a form with your progress. Well, because I was eating whatever I wanted without a care in the world, the results was a 12.1 AIC level. Last visit before this one, it was 10. Before that it was 8. All bad. So, I'm back to a very low carb diet and ok with it. I'm just having the hardest time getting motivated once again to exercise like I used to. I took a walk Saturday and even a shorter one today. Going to do my best on my stationary bike later. All I know is that that AIC level better be down by September. I'm on Glipizide, Metformin, and my Lantus was increased from 32 units to 70-94 depending on my levels in the morning! Please pray for me ... I can't lose my license!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Welcome! I live on the east side of SLC right near the mountains and spend most of my free time hiking there. If our wonder mountains with hundreds of miles of hiking trails won't motivate you, I don't know what will;-)

I joined Planet Fitness for some evening workout time but I haven't been in nearly a month. Who wants a stuffy gym when you have some of the best and prettiest hiking opportunities in the whole USA?

BTW, the wildflowers are coming out and it is magnificent out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply, bignick! You are so right about the hiking in Utah ... I wish my schedule allowed it as I work full time. I definitely have to do something quick and come up with a plan! Nice to "meet" you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patdart, low carb is what I'm doing ... the only diet that will bring my numbers down. I will stick with that. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
169 Posts
How to increase exercise?

1) buy a pedometer and get those 10,000 steps in a day -- even if you are walking in place while watching TV.
2) find an exercise partner (be it a dog or a human friend). Not wanting to let them down will keep you motivated. It is also a great time to reflect or talk!
3) try a new sport
4) sign up for a 5k event -- it is so motivating and helps you train to meet your goals
5) do something that you love. For me, that is either being in a pool (I swim and teach water aerobics) or being outside running on the trail, walking my dog or riding my bike with my best girlfriend.
6) go to the gym where you can take a Silver Sneakers class or a water aerobics class. I admit that the senior groups are very social. Lots of parties! But you may be too young for those groups, but the younger set does like stopping off for coffee after a class like Zumba.

Keep a log of your exercise. It takes three weeks or so to change your behavior.

Finally, the LCHF has been working for me!

Good luck!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome! I live on the east side of SLC right near the mountains and spend most of my free time hiking there. If our wonder mountains with hundreds of miles of hiking trails won't motivate you, I don't know what will;-)

I joined Planet Fitness for some evening workout time but I haven't been in nearly a month. Who wants a stuffy gym when you have some of the best and prettiest hiking opportunities in the whole USA?

BTW, the wildflowers are coming out and it is magnificent out there.
You had me off balance there for a moment. I am not used to the American practice of using acronyms, thought that SLC maybe "super low carbs".I understood that you were on the east side of SLC and could not make out where that left me, the west would be negative carbs. Its then that I finally found out the intended meaning of SLC . Afterwards I thought that I had been a bit of a SLC myself , as in "slow learning clot".

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hello! The really important thing is the LCHF diet. Exercise is great, but not the key factor in bringing BG down.
I would agree that the LCHF is the most important factor for reducing BG.
Exercise, for some, will cause a very significant further reduction.

In addition, exercise has for me at least, a very positive influence on my feeling of physical and mental well being.

So I think that when employed together they represent the "best possible non medication" approach " to bringing BG down.

·
Banned
164 Posts
I would agree that the LCHF is the most important factor for reducing BG. Exercise, for some, will cause a very significant further reduction. In addition, exercise has for me at least, a very positive influence on my feeling of physical and mental well being. So I think that when employed together they represent the "best possible non medication" approach " to bringing BG down.
I've noticed if I test before and after exercise my number typically goes down or stays the same.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've noticed if I test before and after exercise my number typically goes down or stays the same.
Interesting, volfan, what type of diabetes have you been diagnosed with.

Maybe there are different reactions by people with different types of diabetes.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Interesting, volfan, what type of diabetes have you been diagnosed with. Maybe there are different reactions by people with different types of diabetes.
Type 2 was my old Dr's diagnosis. I don't know if I've been specifically tested for which type. In going to ask at my new Dr's visit in a few months.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Exercise is definitely great for attitude, energy, and general health. But so many people seem to give up on the LCHF if they think they aren't exercising enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I exercised for 2-1/2 hours yesterday. Walked a mile, did some weights, tai-chi and Zumba. I'm on my way towards developing an exercise routine and diet. Have had very few carbs since last Saturday. Since my Lantus was doubled, my numbers have improved greatly. Thanks so much for all of your helpful advise. This forum is helping me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Find a friend to go walking with you. Someone that will be there each day. Biking is another exercise. Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts